AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Aquaria
 L# General Freshwater
  L# Are these fish compatible (or, have risk of being eaten by) with the Black Ghost Knife Fish?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeAre these fish compatible (or, have risk of being eaten by) with the Black Ghost Knife Fish?
Tuscuttar
Small Fry
Kudos: 5
Votes: 1
male uk
Boesemani Rainbowfish,
Albino Plecostomus,
Bolivian Ram,
Moonlight & Golden Gourami,
Dwarf Giraffe Catfish,
Male Betta
(Just out of curiostity):
Corys.

Post InfoPosted 13-Aug-2009 16:58Profile PM Edit Report 
Tuscuttar
Small Fry
male uk
Oh, and a Rainbow Shark...

Post InfoPosted 13-Aug-2009 17:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Tuscuttar
Small Fry
male uk
Oh, and out of further curiosity: Cuviers Bichir?

Post InfoPosted 13-Aug-2009 18:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
truestar

-----
Enthusiast
Young Pup
Kudos: 92
Votes: 147
male usa us-indiana
EditedEdited 13-Aug-2009 22:17
The Rainbow Shark may not like the BGK occupying the bottom of the tank, but that depends on how big the tank is. I wouldn't expect any problems between the BGK and any of the other fish you listed, although there might be some conflict between the Betta and the Gouramis. I kept a Betta with my Blue/Gold Gouramis and didn't have any problems, but my Betta was quite docile, it depends on the temperament of your Betta. Hope this helps.

Edit: I'm not familiar with the "Dwarf Giraffe Catfish". It isn't by chance the Giraffe Catfish that's in the profiles section of this website is it? If so, I hope you have a big tank, because they reach 17 inches if it's one of the smaller species.
Post InfoPosted 13-Aug-2009 21:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
The BGK isn't going to be eating any of those, but the bichir might take down some corys and the betta. I would not put a betta in the tank. The dwarf giraffe catfish is also a likely predator.

I'll echo truestar's concern about tank size; if all your fish were adults I wouldn't put them in a tank any smaller than 100-150 gallons.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 15-Aug-2009 21:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Tuscuttar
Small Fry
male uk
Isnt it rare for a BGK to grow beyond 12"?

Post InfoPosted 16-Aug-2009 18:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
truestar

-----
Enthusiast
Young Pup
male usa us-indiana
I've never kept one, but based on what I've read about them, I'd say no. I'd be more worried about housing the Dwarf Giraffe Catfish if I were you, they get even bigger I believe.

I'm not sure about the Dwarf Giraffe, but I believe that BGK grow slow, so you may be able to upgrade the tank sizes over time. What size tank do you have for them now?
Post InfoPosted 16-Aug-2009 19:00Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Tuscuttar
Small Fry
male uk
55g give or take

Post InfoPosted 16-Aug-2009 19:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
truestar

-----
Enthusiast
Young Pup
male usa us-indiana
A 55 gallon would be too small too include the Giraffe Catfish and Bichir, and couldn't hold the BGK for it's entire life, but could work for everything else. I'd suggest you leave out the above 3, and concentrate on stocking the tank with the other fish you mentioned. I'd suggest that if you REALLY want a BGK, to get a tank of 75+ gallons, and set that tank up to suit the BGK specifically, and then stock around it. Or, if you already have it, you could keep it in the 55 and wait until you acquire a bigger tank to move it to, then add the Shark. I would definitely avoid the Bichir and Giraffe Catfish though. Hope this helps.
Post InfoPosted 16-Aug-2009 21:26Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
male usa us-delaware
I wouldn't put a BGK in a 55 gallon permanently, but it'll do fine for a while. Even if BGKs didn't grow larger than 12", I would not put a fish that large into a tank that is only12-13" wide like the standard 55 gallon aquarium. Bichirs are better as they tend to be more sedentary and flexible, but BGKs make it a point to keep their body fairly straight and swim much more than bichirs. An adult Cuvier/Senegal bichir, however, would also outgrow a 55 gallon. Most fish 6-8" I would consider moving out of a 55 gallon aquarium; exceptions would include EXTREMELY sedentary fish that never move such as the saltwater frogfishes and scorpionfishes.

BGKs are fairly fast growers. I'll admit I haven't seen a BGK over 12" in person. However, I do not think you should base stocking decisions on thinking that they won't get as big, because these fish certainly have the natural ability to attain those sizes.

In a 55 gallon, I would just keep the gourami, ram, rainbow shark, corys, and rainbowfish. You can get a pretty good tank there. None of the common knifefishes and bichirs, IMO, are small enough to be kept in a 55 gallon permanently, but they can certainly be kept in the 55 gallon for many months to over a year.

The betta is really out of place in your set-up. Gourami and bettas sometimes fight, which is certainly not compatibility. Plus, the betta would easily be taken down by a large enough bichir or dwarf giraffe catfish. Corys could also be eaten pretty readily by those two fishes.

Assuming your dwarf giraffe catfish is Anaspidoglanis macrostoma, I might consider putting it as the only fish in a 55 gallon.

The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 18-Aug-2009 15:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Tuscuttar
Small Fry
male uk
Dwarf Giraffe Catfish, arent a common fish, semi-rare actually, but the only grow to 6", some to 8". What is the largest fish that will fit into a Cuvier's Bichir and a BGK's mouth?

Post InfoPosted 18-Aug-2009 17:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
male usa us-delaware
A BGK can eat baby guppies at best; they feed on invertebrates primarily and are not made to prey on fish. Bichirs, on the other hand, have MUCH larger mouths. I can't give you a definite length of fish that the bichir will eat and it won't eat if the prey is bigger, but you can easily use some common sense in looking at your particular bichir and seeing what it could probably eat. However, you can probably be sure that the bichir won't eat a fish if all its tankmates are at least half the length of the bichir.

The Dwarf Giraffe Catfish would probably be fine in the 55 gallon, but again I wouldn't keep much else with it since it will eat anything that's too small, and the 55 gallon doesn't leave much room for other fish that would not get eaten by this fish. But if you can get this fish it's a good find, they are indeed quite uncommon.

Post InfoPosted 19-Aug-2009 02:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 435
Votes: 44
male
a 12" seny bichir can eat 3 4 inch giant danios and a 3 inch firemouth in 1 night............
Post InfoPosted 19-Aug-2009 07:01Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Tuscuttar
Small Fry
male uk
What about an Albino Senegal? How big do they grow?

Post InfoPosted 23-Aug-2009 19:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 24-Aug-2009 06:17
This post has been deleted
Tuscuttar
Small Fry
male uk
Bump

Post InfoPosted 26-Aug-2009 21:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
I firmly believe that we have the friendliest folks on
the Internet here as members of this site.
But...
For the most part, they aren't going to do everything
for you. Simply type the fish's name into your search
engine, and hit enter. When I did, and I'd never heard
of that fish before, I came up with more than two pages
of links ranging from the sublime,to the esoteric.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 26-Aug-2009 21:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
male usa us-delaware
An albino senegal gets the same size as a Cuvier's. In fact, they are the same species.

Post InfoPosted 27-Aug-2009 02:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies