Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeBeing Tented (Termites)
zookeper
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 62
Votes: 6
male usa
I am wondering if anyone has been thru this and if so how did you handle it with your fish.
In Oct my house will be tented for termites.
Of course I have to remove all my fish and other pets from the home.
Any suggestions on how to make this a safe and easy move etc?
I have a 55 gallon freshwater tank. I dread having to drain it and move it and move the fish and I worry about the stress on my fish.
so, thought I would ask here if anyone has gone thru this.
Thanks
Todd
Post InfoPosted 23-Jul-2008 15:40Profile PM Edit Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
EditedEdited by keithgh
A lot will depend on how long before you will be allowed to return to the house to start of with.
No matter what you do you will have to pull down the tank and take it away before the house is treated. You can put the fish in a plastic bucket just add the heat filtration, and air and it should be OK. With the gravel this will also have to be kept alive meaning all the good bacteria must be kept alive otherwise when the tank is reasembled you will be cycling the tank again.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 24-Jul-2008 05:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
is there a place you can set up the tank temporarily while the fumigation is ging and for a week or two after (just to make sure all toxins are cleared and nothing hurts your fish!) if you have a firend or family memebr the solution is easy... get a few buckets and drain half the water into bukets (lids would be helpful!!!) put the gravel in one bucket (or a little in several buckets) and the fish in them too. also plants and decoration need to be kept submerged. take everything to the locatin and dump it all in and fill the remainer and treat the water like cake! if you dont have a place to keep the tank/move it to temporarily, go out and get a buch of 5gallon buckets airline tubing a GREAT airpump and lots of sponge filters (can be made too) this way you can have fish and etc in the buckets and filtration too. just make sure you check water params daily ormore and do WC accordingly.

hope this helps

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 25-Jul-2008 02:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
zookeper
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
Thanks for the replies. Sorry that I didnt get back here to say thanks for awhile but PC problems etc.

So, here is a possible easy solution to my dilema with moving the large tank etc for the termiting.
I am planning on moving the fish to my friends house into a smaller tank that I set up so they will be fine.
Now, instead of taking the tank all apart and messing with the gravel etc etc.
I am thinking of taking the filters off etc so there is nothing ontop of the aquarium. Then I am having a piece of glass cut that will fit over the top of the tank and rest on the top of the tank and be flush. Then I will use tank silicone to seal the glass top to the tank itself to it is sealed perfectly and no gas from the termiting can get in the tank.
This was I can leave everything but the fish in the tank while being termited.
The termiting is 2-3 days max. I figure this should be fine.
Basically, its going to have to work as I cannot move this large a tank and all the gravel etc and plus deal with moving my dogs, cats, tarantulas, rabbits etc etc.
So, do you think my plan is viable? Any suggestions to make it better?
Thanks
Todd
Post InfoPosted 18-Aug-2008 04:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Krash7172
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 47
Votes: 3
EditedEdited by krash7172
The plastic frames on tanks that I have seen are not actually sealed to the glass. If you seal to the plastic frame, you probably aren't really sealing the tank from the air. I do think that what you are talking about will be more than adequate though.

If it were me, I'd probably get a cheap painting tarp and use bungee cords around the tank.

Edit: I'd surely try to keep the filters seasoned and away from the chemicals and rinse the tank well.
Post InfoPosted 18-Aug-2008 05:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
I'd take the filter off your big tank and put it on the tank at your friend's house that has your fish in it. It'll be better for the fish to have an established filter, and it'll be better for your filter to be in use so your cycle doesn't crash when you get back.

><>
Post InfoPosted 18-Aug-2008 15:40Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
djrichie
----------
Big Fish
Rough but Honest [img]htt
Kudos: 309
Votes: 45
male usa
I just had to do this llast OCt. myself..... I approached by setting up a tak at inlaws house a few days before and used the water filter on two tanks,,,, the big tank.. I approached how my SW friends advised me. I made a frame out of PVC pipe and put a net that the fish couldn't swim thur.... I atttached it to inside of the tank about 5 inchies down so the fish could reach the top of the water than covered with sink wrap and heated that with a hair drier on low heat just to insure a tight fit... left that morning and they tented..... came back in 2 days after the tent was removed and everyone was fine.... If the fish can't get to the gas they are find. you will need to turn off the filter and any air pumps.....

Djrichie
"So Long, and Thanks For All The Fish" Douglas Adams
Post InfoPosted 18-Aug-2008 18:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
zookeper
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
Ok, thanks for the answers.
Now.. One more.
I have HOB filters and they are very large. I am only setting up a 10 gallon at my friends to keep my few fish in. I only have my 2 upside down cats which are about 4 inchs and a few danios and one chinese algea eater.
So, for 3 days they should be ok in the 10 gallon.
Anyways. What do I do with my bio wheels things while my tank is down? Should I keep them in water and in the fridge or what?
This is so frustrating with the tenting stuff. Its one HUGE pain in the tush!
Thanks
Post InfoPosted 19-Aug-2008 04:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
djrichie
----------
Big Fish
Rough but Honest [img]htt
Kudos: 309
Votes: 45
male usa
EditedEdited by djrichie
I'd keep them in dirty tank water with an air stone somewhere not being tented

Djrichie
"So Long, and Thanks For All The Fish" Douglas Adams
Post InfoPosted 19-Aug-2008 04:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
zookeper
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
Hi All,

Just an update on my termite tenting.

I was tented this past weekend. I had moved all my fish to my friends where i had a smaller tank set up for them.

I then sealed up my big tank with some 6MM thick plastic sheeting. I cut to size and used a quality tape to seal the plastic over the tank. I actually doubled it up just to be safe. I had removed all my filters, fish accessories etc from the stand and took those with me so they wouldnt be in the poison.

When I got home after the tenting I replaced the filters, I ran charcoal thru the filters and water for a few hours to clear out any possible toxins and then replaced the fish and hoped for the best.

All is fine. The fish are back to normal and all is well.

It was ALOT of work and I pray that I never need go thru this again.

Thanks again for your info, tips and help.

T.
Post InfoPosted 30-Sep-2008 15:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Gone_Troppo

----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 196
australia au-northernterritory
Glad to hear you and your tanks made it through OK. Well done on the preparation work!

G_T

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Post InfoPosted 30-Sep-2008 18:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Well done it certainly pays to plan well ahead and have every thing ready and by doing that there is less chance of having any unwanted problems.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 01-Oct-2008 08:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies