SubscribeCant Get It Out Of My Head
haRg0wbOi
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 84
Votes: 8
male usa
EditedEdited by haRg0wbOi
so i went one of my LFS today and i saw a bunch of Powder Blue gouramis in a tank that is less than 20 gallons. there was about 15+ gouramis in there. i notice that there were a 2 laying on the substrate with their eyes missing.. i looked at the other fishes to see if they had their eyes. to my surprise there was 3 swimming around with just there eye sockets. i was grossed out and for some reason i cant get picture out of my head.
Post InfoPosted 15-Mar-2007 09:12Profile PM Edit Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
EditedEdited by longhairedgit
Call the aspca? I find thats seeing animal neglecting miscreants given good working over by the RSPCA in the uk helps to alleviate the images in ones head. They are there to make you do something, so do it! At the very least most shops find a visitation from the local animal welfare agencies as deeply embarrassing and bad for business. Its a good little reminder for them to make that effort to do better.

A great tool for the encouragement of good animal keeping is to expose those that dont do it to the maximum level of shame and embarrassment. Give people a good chance to improve before going to war as it were, try for instance pointing out the problem to someone in management or at floor level. If they are unrepentant then go for the bigger tools. It surprising how often even smooth corporate liars get nervous and do the right thing when you kick up a stink of public embarrassment.

Its having the courage to take them on than the trick.I think of it as only talking, even if it gets a little heated, and you dont have to be abusive to tell someone you know when you are being lied to, or that their viewpoint is unacceptable .
Post InfoPosted 15-Mar-2007 11:00Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
im-trying
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 53
Votes: 0
I feel the same way about eyeless fish And if it is the neglect of an LFS then shame on them! But dont rule out some other factors like maybe the gourami were with some other agressive fish and these did the damage? Or perhaps they came from the breeder/supplier like that, do they take in spawns from amateurs? As much as i wanted to highlight these I cant defend the cramming of the fish into the tank I have an lfs that do the same but a little wors they put in dwarf gouramis, silver dollars and Texas Cichlids together in about 10 gallons i tired to tell the person on about what they were doing but all i got in reply was "im not the fish guy so i cant help really"

I hate seeing it, there is a one eyed oscar at one of my lfs though that was done by an other fish and the oscar is in a nice display tank at the shop now but its not nice

But on the other hand I also have a blind dojo loach and he is my favorite fish in the tank TBH he is always active....very active tonight because there is a storm a comin! But yeah hes really happy and is the most curious fish you have ever seen the places he gets him self his latest trick is laying verticle up a corner of the tank behid a rock i put there to hide an air pump. He was also the first fish I ever saw and knew I had to have I didnt get him the first time I saw him but as soon as I got home I rang up the LFS to ask them to keep him back for me, I'm having filter trouble ATM and I really really hope that I dont loose him over all the others
Post InfoPosted 18-Mar-2007 00:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Thursday
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 32
Votes: 4
female usa
Ugh I hate it when they do that. It's really in their best intrests to keep the fish healthy... people are not going to want to buy fish with missing limbs..(Or eyes, more so) Thats like something you expect to see at a Wal-mart... ugh.

If pets are so stupid, how did they weasel free room and board out of us?
Post InfoPosted 18-Mar-2007 20:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sodaaddict84
----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 108
Votes: 52
male usa
wow that sucks. i have seen several cases similar to this. a friend of mine who is new to fish keeping told me about this this store he went to, and said i should check it out. so upon arriving at the not so Local fs i was impressed when i walked through the front door. two massive tanks at least 300+ gallons, on each side of you forming a hall way to the front desk. but when i got inside i was not so impressed with the petcoesque atmospere. the customer service was excellent but the general care for any of the fish was lacking. i noticed many dead fish just lying on the bottom of the tank. several tanks looked like a boxing ring with many fish just going to town attacking each other. i continued to look around good selection on dry goods, but the livestock looked sickly. when i asked an employeed about the dead fish he said that they just recieved a shipment and many where doa and others died shortly after, but he said that i would be fixed that night. so i gave them the benefit of the doubt and returned on a different day of the week about 2 weeks later. i had to admit that there was no dead fish at the bottom but being there previously i brought a little something just out of curiosity, i brough some test strips with me. although not completely accurate they give a good ballpark range. upon my spy like dipping i noticed that there was ammonia and nitrite in the tank, but not a killer amount, but the nitrate was astounding at a 60+ ppm in several tanks. needless to say i will not be shopping there any time soon

*click *flash *click "whered he go???"
Post InfoPosted 20-Mar-2007 23:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
EditedEdited by FRANK
Hi,
When I worked at a fish store, my first job on signing in
was to "police the tanks" removing any dead/dying fish.
Each of us was expected to remove any, any time we saw
one. And, to notify the owner who would check out the tank
and if necessary "down it," placing a NOT FOR SALE on
it and medicating it for the specific problem.

We never had dead fish in our tanks for the public to see.
Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 21-Mar-2007 01:19Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sodaaddict84
----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 108
Votes: 52
male usa
the world needs more franks if you know what i mean

*click *flash *click "whered he go???"
Post InfoPosted 21-Mar-2007 08:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies