SubscribeCoffee Table Tank At Dentist Office
niggit
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 282
Votes: 0
female canada
hello!

in the new year, i am going to take on the responsibility of stocking and maintaining a tank at my dentist's office, and just wondered what you would recommend for me to recommend to put in it : )

the tank is an acrylic 'coffee table' style one, that is about 30-40G. it has a small internal filter. the dentist would like something colourful and visible obviously... but the livestock will also have to be durable and forgiving because the tank is low to the ground and would be pestered by children etc (unfortunately!).

i was considering goldfish as an option (one or two only)... but wasnt sure if these would be the best option because of their high waste production (i would be responsible for water changes which would likely be preformed every other week).

i have four tanks of my own (both fresh and saltwater) and have been keeping fish (including discus)for about 5 years, so i am well aware of the challenges that this job will present.

so... that's why i'm doing some research first! : )
what would you all recommend?

thanks in advance
Post InfoPosted 27-Dec-2006 01:17Profile PM Edit Report 
katieb
-----
Fish Addict
Votes: 69
female usa
I would steer clear of the goldies as they can get quite large and produce a lot of waste. They would probably not thrive with a cleaning every other week like some other fish could.

"the dentist would like something colourful and visible obviously... but the livestock will also have to be durable and forgiving because the tank is low to the ground and would be pestered by children"

I would go with all natural decorations so as not to take away from the fish. As for fish larger tetras, male livebearers, and danios are all hardy fish that would look pretty in the tank. You can use female livebearers as well, but be aware that they are prolific.

Imho, platies would be a good choice. They have great color and are robust enough to be seen from the top and side.

I'll do graffiti,
If you sing to me in French.
Post InfoPosted 27-Dec-2006 02:18Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
I'd definitely steer clear of goldfish. It would be one of the fish at the bottom of my list for that type of tank since it will likely require weekly or more frequent maintenance if you include one. Small hardier schooling fish might be best. My white cloud minnows were pretty much unaffected by activity around the tank. They just schooled a bit closer and continued to spawn. Livebearers would work if you use all males or have a plan for the fry. Gouramis would work great for the type of tank but I can't think of any species that aren't likely to be too shy. Potentially a cichlid tank might work well but I'm not sure what exact species. I've seen some rather bold ones but have only kept johanni and mine were very shy.

No matter what fish you include they still might be too stressed if kids are going to be allowed to play and bang around on and near the table. It would probably require a few notes of caution and a receptionist or other person willing to step in and stop anyone disturbing the fish too much. You can't count on parents to even keep kids from walking up to normal tanks and banging on them so a coffee table tank around kids is just asking for trouble.
Post InfoPosted 27-Dec-2006 02:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
niggit
-----
Fish Addict
female canada
yah, the coffee table idea wouldn't have been my first choice for those reasons, but they already had purchased it. so... when i went in for a check-up and saw it sitting empty, i couldn't help but offer my services ; ) i already maintain a couple other tanks (at hotels, etc) but this one presented a unique challenge.

i automatically thought of livebearers, too, but there's something about the ones available in my area that seems to render them a lot less hardy than they're supposed to be. i've never had good luck with them, no matter where they're purchased from, despite exaustive efforts to meet their needs, etc.

so... i'm a little apprehensive about them. but, i definitely agree that several large mollies would look great.

what do you think about something like rosie barbs? they're fairly colourful, active and get a fair size... they're something i was considering...

any other suggestions?
Post InfoPosted 27-Dec-2006 09:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Doedogg
---------------
Banned
Kudos: 737
Votes: 445
female usa
EditedEdited by doedogg
How about tiger barbs? They are very active and fun to watch. You could do a nice shoal of them and you have 3 color varities to choose from. Personally I would stay away from the green ones if you can though, in my experience they weren't as hardy as the others.

I used to be Snow White, but I drifted.
~ Mae West
Post InfoPosted 27-Dec-2006 15:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
You need something that is vertically compressed I think, so it is visible from above.

What about 2 albino or marbled BNs? Still a bit messy, but its all plant mess not meat mess so there is a bit more room to move. I wouldn't go above 2 though.

I think for a dentist office you need something relaxing and peaceful, which for me would rule out hyperactive schoolers. Swordtails might work, or platies, but only a handful or it'll look too busy.

Another option might be a little group of small cichlids, maybe something that might breed?

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 28-Dec-2006 04:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Calilasseia

---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Panda Funster
Kudos: 2828
Votes: 731
male uk

If you're looking for something 'bomb proof' for that set up, White Clouds would be a good choice. Next on the list, the above suggestion of Tiger Barbs would be reasonable in a 30-40G setup.

Be advised though, that any fish going in that tank is going to need to be tough, not least because of the assorted "little darlings" tapping on the sides, which is a pet hate of mine.

* Scowls at kids who tap on aquarium glass *

Panda Catfish fan and keeper/breeder since Christmas 2002
Post InfoPosted 29-Dec-2006 00:43Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
niggit
-----
Fish Addict
female canada
thanks for all the suggestions, guys : )

i'm meeting with the people next week, so i'll show them some pics of the things you suggested. in the end i guess they get the final say as to what they like the looks of.

hopefully with some gentle prodding they'll choose something good.

i'll let you know how it goes!
Post InfoPosted 29-Dec-2006 21:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
So_Very_Sneaky
---------------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2272
Votes: 201
female canada
How about rainbowfish?
They are calm swimmers, nice and robust,
and come in many colorful varieties.
They are hardy, tough, and could definitely withstand
those naughty kids.
They dont produce a large amount of waste, and are
fairly healthy hardy fish.
You could probably do a nice mix, couple irian reds,
couple blue turqouise, couple boesmani, few dwarf neons,
etc etc.

Come Play Yahtzee With Me!
http://games.atari.com
Http://www.myleague.com/yahtgames
Post InfoPosted 29-Dec-2006 23:19Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
niggit
-----
Fish Addict
female canada
ooh, those might be an option : ) too many choices!!

Post InfoPosted 31-Dec-2006 02:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
illustrae
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 876
female usa
Tiger barbs would be a great choice, IMO. They probably wouldn't be too bothered by activity around the tank, they don't produce tons of waste, and they aren't picky about anything as far as I can tell. some big rocks and maybe a few plastic plants would be plenty of decor for them.

The rainbowfish idea is also a good one. They are quite hardy, and not too shy, though I don't know how their behavior might change with constant activity outside the tank. Mine are very socialble and active, but they live in a quiet house. The only problems I've had with them is that they are very easy to overfeed. Regardless of what fish you do get, make sure whoever takes care of them on a daily basis knows how to feed appropriately.

Hoping that there must be a word for everything I mean...
Post InfoPosted 02-Jan-2007 19:21Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies