L# Dwarf Puffers
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeDwarf Puffers
madwill
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 92
male usa
i just got two dwarf puffers for a five gallon. they live with a group of ghost shrimp, which i hope get eaten. anyway i got some frozen brine shrimp and some very small dry food, its like dust
Post InfoPosted 15-Jun-2006 04:04Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Report 
Big E
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 382
Votes: 0
usa
Your DPs may eat the shrimp, but many don't - you'll just have to wait and see. Frozen brine shrimp are not very nutritious, and puffers rarely, if ever, eat dry food. I'd add frozen bloodworms to alternate with brine shrimp and small snails are great, too. The only dry type foods puffers commonly eat are the freeze dried worms, shrimp and plankton out there...

Eric
Post InfoPosted 15-Jun-2006 05:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fishkid99
----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 218
Votes: 39
male usa
EditedEdited by fishkid99
But not all frozen Brine shrimp is low in nutrition,some have add vitamins and fatty acids, so look for that for the puffers. Or something like it...

You can also hatch some BBS and right after they hatch they have lots of nutrition. So thats something to also think about.

>>>----> <----<<<

pnh
Post InfoPosted 16-Jun-2006 04:30Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
divertran
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 469
Votes: 165
male usa
Good luck. About half of the dp's sold are caught wild and will usually only accept live food. Small snails is their fav. Mine starved out because they refused every attempt I made to feed them, they would't take anything but did take all the snails in there. Poor little guys.
Post InfoPosted 16-Jun-2006 13:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
madwill
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 92
male usa
i did get them some snails, but the puffers havent eaten anything, but i did read it will take them time to get used to the environment and become comfortable enough to eat
Post InfoPosted 17-Jun-2006 01:23Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Ethan14
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 339
Votes: 18
male usa
If they refuse to eat you can always look around outside for some mosquito larvae as a last resort. They almost always eat that.
Post InfoPosted 17-Jun-2006 06:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
They might not eat the shrimp unless theyre tiny, but they probably will mutilate them trying,they will however go for tiny live worms of almost any kind, most free swimming insect larvae and snails of under 7-8 mm shell length. Some will take brineshrimp too, which is better than nothing.
Post InfoPosted 17-Jun-2006 07:06Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
pookiekiller12
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 633
Votes: 41
male usa
I have had my three dp's a long time. They do not bother my ghost shrimp. They love snails, frozen blood worms, frozen brine shrimp(they go crazy for live brine shrimp), frozen mysis shrimp. Mine do not eat any dry prepared foods. they also do not eat frozen daphnia or frozen tubifex worms. Good luck with yours.
Post InfoPosted 22-Jun-2006 08:15Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
Mine ate snails the first day but took about a week to eat frozen bloodworms. They go by movement at first so you need something you can hold and wiggle in front of them. I used a dropper and squeezed the bloodworms to the end then wiggled them in front of the puffer. After that they will sometimes go to eating other frozen foods like frozen brineshrimp or frozen squid but it's very rare for them to eat dried foods. They would also prefer a bite size chunk to powdered food. Puffers will go after most live foods once they are settled in and if they are happy with their new home.
Post InfoPosted 22-Jun-2006 09:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
mrwizerd
---------------
Big Fish
Kudos: 197
Votes: 75
male usa
I put mine into a snail infested tank they feasted, I also augmented with nicly sized bloodworms they love the little buggers.I ope everything turns out for you... they are great fish!
Post InfoPosted 24-Jun-2006 04:49Profile Homepage ICQ AIM MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 24-Jun-2006 04:50
This post has been deleted
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies