Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeFish Sleep ???
bratnam
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 13
Votes: 0
male india
BIG POST: I have a kissing gourami who scared the hell out of me today.

Came back in the evening to find him flopped on one side as if dead and im wondering what happened as he was fine in the morning and he is the only one in the tank.

I observe him for 1/2hr trying to make out any signs of his sudden demise and finding none switch on the tank lights, go and get my net.

Come back to see him standing now with fins moving slowly and weakly. So i figure he is ill prepare the hospital tank and slowly put my net in to shift him and BANG!!

The moment the net touches him he leaps and shoots to the other side of the tank making me drop my net. Please can anybody tell me what this unusual behaviour was. He is fine now and swimming as usual and actually ate some flakes.
Post InfoPosted 14-Mar-2006 19:39Profile Yahoo PM Edit Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
Kudos: 1997
Votes: 670
male usa
I don't know the particulars of a kissing gourami, but I have read about fish that "sleep" on their side and scare the hell out of their owners.

I would say it could very well be that this is the case here. You for sure will know in a few days because if it is not then the fish will show additional signs of health issues.

Please keep us posted,

Ingo

PS: And maybe you want to get a small pillow for the fishie

Proud Member of the New Jersey Aquatic Gardeners Club
Post InfoPosted 14-Mar-2006 20:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
bratnam
-----
Fingerling
male india
Thanks, Ive had him for about 4 months now and noticed this for the first time yesterday. Ofcourse i dont know if he takes these catnaps when im not there from morning to evening

and yeah maybe il encourage him by getting a pillow
Post InfoPosted 15-Mar-2006 07:13Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
cbcinnie
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 49
Votes: 8
female usa
EditedEdited by cbcinnie
I was surprised by a panda cory baby laying in the java moss. I thought he was dead. He was just taking a nap

I hope your gourami is ok.
Post InfoPosted 15-Mar-2006 07:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
chelaine
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 343
Votes: 78
female usa
my fish do the same thing.. it scares the crap out of me.. but.. its completely normal.. good luck!

*Chelle*
Post InfoPosted 15-Mar-2006 07:50Profile Homepage AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
crusha
----------
Enthusiast
Fish Geek
Kudos: 183
Votes: 102
female australia
My Clown Loaches do it which I know is normal for them, but I saw my BGK do it as well, which I was a little surprised at ... oh well, must be super relaxed hey!!

Those who say they cant, Never will !!!
Post InfoPosted 15-Mar-2006 10:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
bratnam
-----
Fingerling
male india
yep cbcinnie he's fine ate normal is swimming around as usual and staring at me through the glass as usual

im wondering if this behaviour is peculiar to certain species or just weird characterestics of a particular fish
Post InfoPosted 15-Mar-2006 10:08Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies