|faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox|
|Fish and Algae|
Has anyone experienced this? I have the normal buildup of algae on the glass of my tank every few weeks, right. So the fish completely ignore it. But the minute I start to scrape the glass, they all converge to eat it as it floats off the scraper! Is it okay for them to eat this algae? And why won't they eat it off the glass?
|Posted 23-Aug-2009 13:11|
What kinds of fish are they?
|Posted 23-Aug-2009 17:04|
Most fish are not equipped with either the behavior or the mouths to deal with algae growing off a smooth surface like a glass or a rock. A lot of fish, on the other hand, are pretty good at picking small particles out from midwater.
That's my guess.
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
|Posted 23-Aug-2009 18:15|
Soidfuf, I have Angels, Black Ruby Barbs, Yo-Yo loaches, and Neon tetras. It's usually the Angels and barbs fighting to get the algae.
Shinigami, I have witnessed the Angels scrape algae off of my dragon bubbler. Granted it was when they were preparing to spawn.
|Posted 23-Aug-2009 23:31|
I don't think that bit of algea will hurt your fish. Barbs will semmingly try to eat most anything that isnt nailed down. My guess is that Angels are the same way, although I haven't kept any Angels so I can't say from experience.
Most fish won't mess too much with algae on glass, or rocks, etc, unless they are pre disposed to eat algae, like plecos, otocinclus, chinese algae eaters and the like.
|Posted 25-Aug-2009 00:57|
The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.
FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0