Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeFish and Algae
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
Kudos: 217
Votes: 471
female usa us-michigan
Has anyone experienced this? I have the normal buildup of algae on the glass of my tank every few weeks, right. So the fish completely ignore it. But the minute I start to scrape the glass, they all converge to eat it as it floats off the scraper! Is it okay for them to eat this algae? And why won't they eat it off the glass?

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 23-Aug-2009 13:11Profile PM Edit Report 
Soidfuf
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 52
Votes: 12
male usa
What kinds of fish are they?
Post InfoPosted 23-Aug-2009 17:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
Most fish are not equipped with either the behavior or the mouths to deal with algae growing off a smooth surface like a glass or a rock. A lot of fish, on the other hand, are pretty good at picking small particles out from midwater.

That's my guess.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 23-Aug-2009 18:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
Kudos: 217
Votes: 471
female usa us-michigan
Soidfuf, I have Angels, Black Ruby Barbs, Yo-Yo loaches, and Neon tetras. It's usually the Angels and barbs fighting to get the algae.

Shinigami, I have witnessed the Angels scrape algae off of my dragon bubbler. Granted it was when they were preparing to spawn.

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 23-Aug-2009 23:31Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
Kudos: 330
Votes: 355
male usa
I don't think that bit of algea will hurt your fish. Barbs will semmingly try to eat most anything that isnt nailed down. My guess is that Angels are the same way, although I haven't kept any Angels so I can't say from experience.

Most fish won't mess too much with algae on glass, or rocks, etc, unless they are pre disposed to eat algae, like plecos, otocinclus, chinese algae eaters and the like.
Post InfoPosted 25-Aug-2009 00:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies