Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeFishys!!!!
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 435
Votes: 44
male
wats type of fish can go in a 29 gallon tank with a african butterfly fish cuz i want somethin with it and i want to to eat live fishys!
Post InfoPosted 17-Jul-2008 06:18Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
full grown live fish or fry, or juvie fish?

what exatly are you planning on feeding it and where are you getting them from?

if you wnat to feed live fish you shoudl probably breed them yourself because lots of commercially bred fish are chocked full of disease...

i would suggest some small cichlid, but i dont know what compatible with a buterfly fish...

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 17-Jul-2008 06:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
male
well the african butterfly fish is like 5 inches long and only moves for live food i was thinking some type of preditor tank that i would feed baby guppies!
Post InfoPosted 18-Jul-2008 00:47Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
South American Leaf Fish would be the best bet. Tops out at 4" and doesn't move too much, but will do well when fed live fish.

A leopard bushfish (Ctenopoma acutirostre) would be okay for a short time. They are also ambush predators, but they get larger than the leaf fish does and are more active.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 18-Jul-2008 02:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
male
cool i was woundering if i could get a crayfish 2 and i want it to be sand bottem tank with live plants i dont really know how to clean a sand bottem tank like gravel vac it?
Post InfoPosted 18-Jul-2008 03:31Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Natalie
---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Apolay Wayyioy
Kudos: 3730
Votes: 348
female usa us-california

Any sort of crayfish shouldn't be trusted with a slow-moving fish like an African Butterfly. They would also likely tear up any live plants you put in there.

As mentioned above, the best tankmate would probably be a South American Leaf Fish or two. If you get these guys, just make sure the tank is dark, well-planted, and preferably has soft, tannin-stained water. Leaf Fish are initially very shy, but give them time and the right environment, they'll gradually recognize you as a source of food. When they see you they'll swim up to the front of the tank and change into their hunting colors, and you can get them to take guppies from your fingers (they'll also accept ghost shrimp sometimes).

Also, African Butterfly Fish are primarily insectivores in the wild, so you shouldn't give them too many feeder fish. They do best when their diet is mostly comprised of crickets, mealworms, bloodworms, and other small arthropods.

I'm not your neighbor, you Bakersfield trash.
Post InfoPosted 18-Jul-2008 22:47Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
male
yea well right now i hav like 30 feeder guppies that are breeding and so i feed crickets to my ABF all the time cuz they really love it cuz i got them in a qurtine tank and they will jump out of the water to grab the crickets off the plants that i have in the tank i have them in a 29 gallon tank with it only half full and have plants growning out of the water and i have seen the kinda do some thing like a archer fish and spit water at the crickets which have never seen or herd of befrom from them and hes a lot bigger than normal right now hes like 5 inches and dosnt move 2 much and did i tell u that it was a 20 gal long that hes gona go into and how much sand should i put in there cuz i really want to try sand.
Post InfoPosted 18-Jul-2008 22:56Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
sands tricky with the compaction of the substrate, the forming of anerobic pockets, and the grains getting into teh water column and destroying the filter. so you need to fine a good larger grained sand, rinse it well, and get MTS to take care of the sand churning... you can gravel vac it, but if and when you do; you need to shut off the filter and wait for the sand to settle COMPLETELY before turning it back on.

alot of plants cant handle sand, so research it, or you can do pots of gravel and keep the plants in those...

for acurate or approximations of how much and proper care post a sthread in the aquascaping area or read old threads and see how others dealt with it.

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 19-Jul-2008 08:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies