L# Gravel cleaner??
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeGravel cleaner??
Rookie_Boy1
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 27
Votes: 0
I didn't know where to put this topics, so if any of you mods want to move it, go ahead but please let me know where it goes.. Thanks.

I bought a gravel cleaner about a month ago, The instructions say to put it in the water and move it rapidly up and down, and the suction should start automatically.. But when I do it, it only works for a moment or so.. before the suction dies and the waste and dead leaves etc drop down the clear tube onto the top of the gravel with gunk and fish poo which I'm not too happy about.

How does yours work?? Does yours start easily?

Thanks.. R_Boy1.
Post InfoPosted 04-Oct-2008 19:33Profile PM Edit Report 
DaMossMan
----------
Fish Guru
Piranha Bait
Kudos: 2117
Votes: 359
male canada ca-ontario
I start the siphon by mouth. You can also get those squeeze bulbs that fit into your siphon hose to start it up.

The Amazon Nut...
Post InfoPosted 04-Oct-2008 19:50Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Krash7172
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 47
Votes: 3
They work but you have to keep going until the siphon gets going on its own. The worst part of that type is if the flapper is wet, it will sometimes stick open and not work at all.
Post InfoPosted 04-Oct-2008 20:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
With that kind you may have to keep pumping for a little while before it goes steadily.

What I do with mine is put my thumb over the small end, scoop up water with the wide end, and let the bubbles come out of the hose. Then I put the wide end under the water in the tank and let the air out. Less gross than the chance of getting a mouth full of tank water (even if your tanks are pristine) and works every time (provided other circumstances aren't a problem like objects stuck in the hose or a kink in it somewhere).

><>
Post InfoPosted 04-Oct-2008 20:37Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Gone_Troppo

----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 196
australia au-northernterritory
I use the same method as superlion. Fill the gravel vac and hose with water,letting out any air bubbles as you go, put thumb over hose end, submerge the large end in the tank and drop the hose end into a bucket or out the door.

You really want to avoid getting tank water in your mouth if possible, there are bugs that can be transmitted between fish/ tank water and people. You don't want them in your mouth!

Good luck

G_T

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Post InfoPosted 04-Oct-2008 21:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I use the suck method its easy & quick I fully realize it has its dangers a Dr once warned me never put your hands in a tank if you even have the smallest of cuts.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 05-Oct-2008 04:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
I also paid extra for the 'self starting gravel vac' directions similar to what yours said. I never did get the hang of it so just started the old fashioned way as superlion and troppo.

Only time I've ever sucked on the hose is if it's in a tank that's too narrow to lift the wider end up.

Good luck with yours rookie, they're the #1 tool for tank cleaning IMO, dont' know what people did before they came up with them!

^_^

Post InfoPosted 05-Oct-2008 05:25Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
steven1982
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 74
Votes: 38
male canada
Don't suck on the hose. That is nasty!
Fill the hose with water in the sink. Put your thumb over the small end. Quickly put the big end in the tank. The quicker the better because less air in the hose the better it will work. Put the small end in your bucket. Take your thumb off the small end of the hose.
This way you will not have to put your dirty hose in your mouth and there is no way fish poop will go in your mouth.
Post InfoPosted 05-Oct-2008 21:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DaMossMan
----------
Fish Guru
Piranha Bait
Kudos: 2117
Votes: 359
male canada ca-ontario
I'm going to try it your way next time

The Amazon Nut...
Post InfoPosted 06-Oct-2008 00:29Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Rookie_Boy1
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 27
Votes: 0
Alright guys.. thank you, thank you!
if only I decided to check this topic before trying it out again this morning.. I got a mouthful of tank water which I immediately spat out. &&

I will try the new methods when I have time..

Thanks again, to all of you.

R_Boy1
Post InfoPosted 06-Oct-2008 12:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 478
Votes: 271
male australia
i have to admit,i use the ol suck on the hose method,but as my hose is cleari can see the water coming,this plus years of practice,makes for no yuckie fish poo,or tankwater in my mouth.....i do know the way above is pretty good too,but im just so used to doin the same old way now,so it suits me good...
Post InfoPosted 07-Oct-2008 07:34Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies