SubscribeHelp me stock my 10 gallon
truestar

-----
Enthusiast
Young Pup
Kudos: 92
Votes: 147
male usa us-indiana
I'm setting up a 10 gallon tank and wanted a little input on the stocking. It's going to be a heavily planted low-light low-tech tank, filtration will be provided by a Whisper 40 filter. I want to move my school of 7 Zebra Danios from my 55 gallon into it, and would like to add some Cories too. I really would like to try some Panda Cories, and was thinking about getting 8-10 of them. I think this may be pushing the limit though. What do you guys think? Also, I would like to try breeding them as well, and maybe making a little cash by selling the babies to my LFS if they want them, because they don't seem to get them in often. So any tips on breeding would be appreciated. Thanks for reading.
Post InfoPosted 18-Oct-2008 04:33Profile PM Edit Report 
KimKim08
Small Fry
Kudos: 3
Votes: 0
female usa
I found this website about your Cories.

http://www.aquatic-hobbyist.com/profiles/freshwater/catfish/pandacory.html

Towards the bottom of that page it has information about breeding them. I hope it helps.
Post InfoPosted 18-Oct-2008 04:42Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 435
Votes: 44
male
well planted tank i have experinced that they can take more fish corys are fun to breed but i dont do it anymore and i cant really remember cuz they where one of my first fish i breed. but its kinda pushing it but idk u know wat im saying.
Post InfoPosted 18-Oct-2008 05:32Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
truestar

-----
Enthusiast
Young Pup
male usa us-indiana
I think I'll try to get 8 and keep the Danios in the 55. Thanks for the help guys.
Post InfoPosted 18-Oct-2008 22:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
10g is a small breeding tank, but if you already have it you will see.

if you want to breed them i would suggest 6, because with the fry in there ont top of the bio load of the adults you might be sucsceptibal to bad water quality.

there are a few good panda breeders on this site, look arround and you'll find them!

panda corries are neat little fish and i wish you the best of luck with them~!

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 18-Oct-2008 23:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
truestar

-----
Enthusiast
Young Pup
male usa us-indiana
EditedEdited by truestar
Actually, I have a 30 gallon I'm gonna use for breeding and rearing the fry. I think the extra water volume will make keeping the tank the fry are in clean easier.
Post InfoPosted 18-Oct-2008 23:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
truestar

-----
Enthusiast
Young Pup
male usa us-indiana
I actually have one more question. Which substrate do Panda Corries prefer, sand or pea gravel? I have tons of sand in my 55 gallon tank and could use it to speed up the cycle, or I could get some pea gravel. I ask because I went through most of Calilasseia's posts about Pandas when I decided I wanted to keep and breed them, and I noticed he has pea gravel in his tanks instead of sand, which I've heard is the best substrate for Corries. Is it better to get pea gravel for smaller species of Corries and sand for bigger species? Any input is appreciated, thanks.
Post InfoPosted 20-Oct-2008 02:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
Be careful using sand with cories. Yes they do enjoy sifting it through their gills, but they can suffer whisker damage if you have an abrasive or sharp sand.

><>
Post InfoPosted 20-Oct-2008 05:44Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
truestar

-----
Enthusiast
Young Pup
male usa us-indiana
The sand I'm speaking of is play sand, which isn't sharp like some others. I currently have 6 Bronze Corries in my 55 gallon, which has this sand, and all of them have nice long barbels. I'm just not sure if it's good for Pandas and other small Corries. I've read posts saying it's not good for C Habrosus, so I'd like to hear some people's opinions before I decide which I'll use.
Post InfoPosted 20-Oct-2008 06:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
fine sand is definatly best.
Post InfoPosted 20-Oct-2008 23:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
truestar

-----
Enthusiast
Young Pup
male usa us-indiana
I've been reading tons of older posts on other sites like aquahobby, as well as on here, and have come to the same conclusion. I'm glad, because I have a 55 gallon tank full of sand that will come in handy for seeding the new tank.
Post InfoPosted 21-Oct-2008 00:07Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies