L# Hi guys. new stocking for 29g? (=
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeHi guys. new stocking for 29g? (=
Rookie_Boy1
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 27
Votes: 0
Hello. I'm refurbishing my 29g and giving it a new look.

I already have 4 neon teras and a khuli loach in my 15g temporarily.

I was thinking the new stocking;

5/6 black widow tetras.
8 neon tetras.
10 male guppies.
2/3 khuli loaches.
4/5 cories.
a pair of cherry barbs.
A honey gourami or a dwarf gourami.

would they all get on?

Thanks in advance.
Post InfoPosted 13-Sep-2009 09:32Profile PM Edit Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
Kudos: 217
Votes: 471
female usa us-michigan
I don't see a problem with them getting along, but... I would get rid of the 2 cherry barbs. Since barbs like to school and can be quite nippy when they are in low numbers. I would also add a khuli loach or two in their place, since they also like to school.

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 13-Sep-2009 19:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Gourami
---------------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 477
Votes: 1
male usa
I agree with loosing the cherry barbs. You probably wouldn't run into any problems with them being nippy, but they are very shy fish. And with that many fish in the tank you will probably never see them
Post InfoPosted 13-Sep-2009 20:13Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
EditedEdited 14-Sep-2009 02:03
Is it just me or is that a lot of fish?

If it's just me I'll just be quiet, but if no one else commented on that, it might just be me being anal about understocking my tanks...

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 14-Sep-2009 02:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Delenn
Hobbyist
Kudos: 63
Votes: 10
female usa
Lol. No, I thought so too. I was very confused by that. I wouldn't have even put half of that into my old twenty gallon.

But I wouldn't go with the Neon Tetras in the first place because I've had bad luck with them. I tried them in the past and they literally disappeared from the tank the same day. I searched all around the tank and couldn't find anything, and I didn't have a filter like I do now so I know they didn't get sucked up the filter system. The only thing I can figure is that the bigger fish ate them.

They are very pretty though.

I'm curious about the black widow tetras. I've never heard of them.

Good luck with your tank Rookie_Boy1!
Post InfoPosted 14-Sep-2009 03:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
female usa us-michigan
Sorry, I had to leave before I got to say it too! That is way too many fish I would stick with building the kuhli school and drop the cories. I would also recommend sticking with the neon tetras and build that school up. Drop the cories. Since you already have neons and a khuli, I would work with what you have and build on it. A single gourami will still fit.

What's your filtration like?

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 14-Sep-2009 04:09Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Rookie_Boy1
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 27
Votes: 0
Hello guys.

Thanks for your opinions, guys. I'll think about it. we'll see what I decide.

the filter's for a 40g which is probably why all the guppies that I had in the 29g did fine, all 200 of them. yeah, breeding got way out of hand, which is why I'm only having males this time. I hoovered [forgot the word for it, LOL] the gravel weekly and did 20% water changes each week.

Thanks again, everybody. (:
Post InfoPosted 14-Sep-2009 20:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Gourami
---------------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 477
Votes: 1
male usa
I would drop the black widow tetras for sure, I didn't see those before on your list. I have had them in with guppies in the past and they will rip their tails apart. Without the BW tetras, I think the rest would fit fine. You guys gotta keep in mind all the fish in the last stall rather small.
Post InfoPosted 15-Sep-2009 07:08Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Delenn
Hobbyist
Kudos: 63
Votes: 10
female usa
Yeah, but small or not, even if he drops the barbs and the bw tetras, that's still 27 fish in a 29g tank! That just seems like a lot!
Post InfoPosted 15-Sep-2009 07:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria

15/20 Cardinal Tetras
10 male guppies.
4 khuli loaches.
5 corries.
A pair of honey gourami or dwarf gourami.

Here is my list plus go for the biggest tank you can get plus plenty of live Green plants. You have enough colour there any way

Cardinal Tetras are a far stronger variety that the plain old Neons plus they always look a lot better. The bigger the school you can get the better. Smaller number seem to hide away (many experienced Cardinal keepers will tell you this)

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 16-Sep-2009 06:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
female usa us-michigan
EditedEdited 16-Sep-2009 13:06
keithgh, that many in a 29g! Still sounds like overstocking to me. Although, the setup does sound sweet, especially if you could do it in a 55 gal, giving everybody room to romp and mingle. *sighs, wishing for space for one more tank*

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 16-Sep-2009 13:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies