Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeHow "sealed" is sealed?
LOACHESRCOOL
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 215
Votes: 0
male usa
I recently invested in a senegal Bichir and i was wondering how good does my tank need to me sealed....

My lids are both weighed down.

But there is a gap where my HOB is so that the water can flow back into the aquuarium..do i need to seal this as well?

If so...how?

Thanks in Advance
Post InfoPosted 01-May-2009 15:22Profile PM Edit Report 
Mez

---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Asian Hardfeather Enthusiast
Votes: 162
male uk
Yeah mate, most anabantoides will sit there, looking at the hole, then leap out of it...let alone the ones that can crawl on land.
Get that sucker taped up.
Post InfoPosted 01-May-2009 17:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 435
Votes: 44
male
yea i got like 5 diff bichirs and a 10 inch ornate jumped on me when i first started to keep them be for i coverd all the holes...... these fish will look for holes to jump out some times i have seen my fish do it a few times very powerful jumpers..... my ornate walked around 10 to 20 feet and into my shower at my house looking for water so it wouldnt die but didnt find it till i got home from a vacation...... right now im trying to collect all the diff bichirs but a few of them can be priced between 450 and 800 just for a 10 incher so its not gona be cheap.....
Post InfoPosted 01-May-2009 21:47Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
LOACHESRCOOL
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
Should i just use tape then to cover the Holes?
Post InfoPosted 02-May-2009 10:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Calilasseia

---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Panda Funster
Kudos: 2828
Votes: 731
male uk
Given the Houdini-esque propensity of Bichirs to find their way out of an aquarium, the hood needs to be set up like the entrance to a maximum security prison to stop some of them carpet surfing ... with a decent sized adult specimen, you're recommended to obtain a good quality tight fitting hood that leaves no obvious gaps, preferably made of a fairly heavy and strong material, and even then, you might have to weigh it down with bricks!

Oh, and you're advised to use plastic instead of glass as the intervening "cover glass", because if they break the plastic, they won't cut themselves on sharp edges.

One possible solution to the HOB problem is to obtain a sheet of acrylic plastic or similar, drill holes for the intake and output tubing etc., and fit that to cover the gap.

Panda Catfish fan and keeper/breeder since Christmas 2002
Post InfoPosted 02-May-2009 17:32Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
LOACHESRCOOL
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
Thanks alot i think ill do that
Post InfoPosted 03-May-2009 12:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies