L# How Many?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeHow Many?
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
SO for my 10 gallon dorm tank I am thinking of getting harlies to go with my cherry shrimp. I was thinking that 10 or 12 would probably work, there is a low bio load, UGF, 2 internal filters, and DIY CO2. would this work? I'm not really familiar with them except that they are generally pretty hardy and fairly small.

Thanks,
-Brandon

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 31-Jan-2010 22:42Profile PM Edit Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi Brandon,
If it were my 10G tank, I would use the UGF and skip the
internal filters. There is barely any room in a 10G tank
muchless cramming in two or even one, internal filter.

The combination of the Harlies and the cherry shrimp might
be nice, especially with a natural substrate, and some nice
green plants. Use foreground plants in the tank and a nice
rock to break it up.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 31-Jan-2010 22:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
male usa us-california
Hi Frank, The tank is already set up. It has rocks and DW(covered in moss and anubias) as well as a few dwarflilies, crypts and aponogenetons.

The two interenals are fairly small and hidden behind the rocks. They are there just for good measure (water circulation etc..) would that many harlies work out?

Post InfoPosted 31-Jan-2010 23:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I have a 45Lt Cardinal tetras and CRS very heavily planted 3-4ins substrate. The only problem is the HOB I wished I had put in a UGF. Once they are established and working properly they are never a problem. To do a deep clean I syphon from the riser tube. You must have a PVC tube that is a firm fit and it works perfectly.

I would consider a small air wand (you can cut them to any length easy) under the heater this will give you a more even tank temp. My heater is also hidden with a huge clump of Anubias Nana and this is the home of the CRS and the 3 Khuli

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 31-Jan-2010 23:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
male usa us-california
ok thanks keith. The heater is beside an internal filter that gets plenty of circulation... my main question is the numbers of the fish. The tank has been set up and stable for 3 weeks now (after I replaced the broken tank) but for 7 months before that it was running great with the stock changing as i moved stuff around.

Post InfoPosted 01-Feb-2010 00:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
EditedEdited 01-Feb-2010 01:55
If you can find then, something slightly smaller than harlies would be best as they get reasonably large (very slowly though) and will pick off your young shrimp. If you can't find anything like microrasboras, harlies or lambchops would be fine, but keep an eye on the mouth size

You are probably best starting with 3, and seeing how it looks. I think you could go to 5, but you may need a larger tank in a year or so, depending on how quickly they grow in there

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 01-Feb-2010 01:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
male usa us-california
would a trio or pair of some kind of fancy pure strained guppy be a better idea? I mean I would have fry every so often but if I bought some high quality ones I could try to sell them (and maybe get a low tech 5 gallon outgrow tank for the fry?) I had heard that harlies would be good, but i guess not... the fish stores in the area are a bit too far, other than a P3tc0 which really limits what I get, but I could try to get a good trio of guppies online, but a small school of rasboras or tetras gets very expensive.

What would be a pretty mainstream fish that would work but also be interesting? I am very limited as far as selection.

Thanks,
-Brandon

Post InfoPosted 01-Feb-2010 04:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
male usa us-california
Today I ran down to the chain pet store and bought 5 juvie zebra danios to eat up some of the micro organisms i've seen in the tank. I think I had some planaria in there so i think that they will eat some of them, keep the pouplations in check. i'm not too worried about them eating the shrimp because they are still very small but once they get larger I will probably switch them over to my 29g at home and which already has 5 full grown ZDs.

I only got Zds because it was about the only non-sickly looking fish they carried and i just like their look!

-Brandon

Post InfoPosted 02-Feb-2010 23:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
male usa us-california
I found a sweet deal online for some Snowball shrimp so I plan on getting about 10-15 of them (about a dollar a piece) and I should have them here by wednesday. I'm pretty excited about that. On the other not I cleaned out the internal filters and rearranged the tank last night taking out the marimo balls and some of the java fern and letting my roommate use them in his betta tank for a short while. I also added some dwarf chain sword plants to help fill in the gaps. I'll do a WC on monday or tuesday to get the water nice a fresh before the new shrimp come in. I dont do gravel vacs though because i dont have a vac up at school with me so i just syphon out about 2 gallons of water and let it be.

as far as cleaning out the UGF in there what is the best approach outside of making a PVC fitting?

Thanks,
-Brandon

Post InfoPosted 07-Feb-2010 23:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
hca
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 434
Votes: 211
female usa us-illinois
Why dont you just get a gravel vacc for school... They are cheap enough, and for a 10g you only need a lil one.. It'll make like so much easier.
Post InfoPosted 08-Feb-2010 00:06Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
lowlight
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 94
male usa us-california
What is powering your UGF?
Post InfoPosted 08-Feb-2010 07:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
male usa us-california
The UGF is powered by an air pump which is attached to two risers on either end of the tank in the back.

I just haven't had a chance to buy another siphon yet but will probably get one this week or next.

I came home this weekend and took the 3 remaining ZDs out of the tank (i think two died because i just didnt see them but they could have just been very elusive). All three survived and joined the school i have at home. Before I go back to school I am going to try to get something better suited to be kept with shrimp and more attractive... or just some guppies depending on what i can get.

Thanks

Post InfoPosted 16-Feb-2010 03:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies