Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeHow much did u spend?
xlinkinparkx
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 353
Votes: 2
male canada
I was just wondering how much those of you with 50-60 gallons spend on your aquarium to get it started? I mean fish,statues and everything.

I think i spent like 300-400$ on my 10gallon but i restarted it a few times.

10gallon: 8neons 5gallon: 1betta
1oto
2platys
Post InfoPosted 28-Feb-2006 04:51Profile PM Edit Report 
GirlieGirl8519
----------
Fish Master
*Malawi Planter*
Kudos: 1029
Votes: 35
female usa
EditedEdited by GirlieGirl8519
I have 4 fish tanks ranging from 55g to 5g...so I've spent alot.

On my 55g...lets see...probably close to $700-800 including tank, stand, hardware, fish, and plants. Maybe even more than that...I can't remember how much everything costs.

edit: That's wasn't how much it was to get started though...that's like up until now the amount I've spent. To get started it was around $500.

*Kristin*
Post InfoPosted 28-Feb-2006 05:38Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
lowlight
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 94
male usa us-california
I paid around $100-150 for my 55, it came with a hood and lights. Then I spent another $100 or so to get it started. That was about a year and ahalf ago. I just spent another $100 for a new canister filter and 2 bags of gravel at $20 each (I'm going to change some stuff) and maybe another bag of gravel later.
Post InfoPosted 28-Feb-2006 06:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
zman
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 73
Votes: 63
male usa
EditedEdited by zman
Spent about $350.00 on the 55 gallon tank along with the stand and cover with lights.
another $40. on the penguin bio wheel filter then around $90 for the 350 magnum pro.
and can't really remember the costs of decorations and gravel but you can safely say around $550 - $600.

Post InfoPosted 28-Feb-2006 07:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
bencoastie
----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 85
Votes: 1
male usa
The 44 planted was about $200 - $300. The 55 gal reef was about $700 just to start. Grand total on the reef... I don't want to think about it too much!
Post InfoPosted 28-Feb-2006 07:26Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
EditedEdited by longhairedgit
Tank and hood was about £300, the lighting another £50, plants about £30, gravel £10, filter £250,filter media another £30, heater £30,water conditioners £30, Bogwood around £40, prefilter £20, extra tubing £4, drip trays £4, the fish were free (my own fry and raised adults) but probably worth around £250.

So thats around £1048 for a quality tank all fired up and ready to go. That was all new stuff, and you can knock £250 off for the fish, deduct 10% for the discount I have with about every shop in a radius of 50 miles lol. I dont like to go secondhand or cheap if I know the tank has to last, but ive done the same before with 2nd hand stuff for around £300.

er, why is there an A in front of every pound sign? Most irritating.
Post InfoPosted 28-Feb-2006 08:12Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
mrwizerd
---------------
Big Fish
Kudos: 197
Votes: 75
male usa
EditedEdited by mrwizerd
As it currently sits I have spent 160 on the tank hood heater filter and then 4 dollars in sand maybe 6. then the fish I aquired in various used purchases and moving from other tanks the plants were moved around from cuttings mostly then bought 15dollars in vals. Recently I have purchased about 30-40 dollars in rock. I also purchased a AQ150 for it at the price of 24 dollars. This was before I realized that I could upgrade it to a Biowheel. But then again this is much
Post InfoPosted 28-Feb-2006 10:10Profile Homepage ICQ AIM MSN Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
Kudos: 1997
Votes: 670
male usa
This gives me a great idea .

You know we have a wpg (watts per gallon) rule that establishes how many watts of light you need to consider your tank a high-light tank for plants. And we know that the smaller the tank the higher this number gets to achieve the same effect (let's just say 10wpg over 2G vs. 2.5wpg over 150G).

I think tank size and cost are related in a similar fashion, given that you consider only standard equipment etc. I would say that the cpg ( - new term - Cost Per Gallon) is much higher if the tank is smaller. Like maybe $10 per Gallon for a 10G vs $4 per Gallon for a 55G and down to $2 for a 150G.

Anyway, just another reason why one should get a larger tank as they are so more cost efficient when looking at cpg .

Ingo

Proud Member of the New Jersey Aquatic Gardeners Club
Post InfoPosted 28-Feb-2006 12:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
monkeyboy
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 375
Votes: 223
male usa
EditedEdited by monkeyboy
got mine setup for $150 not counting fish. tank, stand, lights and filter i got for $50. then everything else, glass lids, another filter, rock, artificial plants, airpump and heater all came from ebay.

and was also able to setup a 150 with everything for less than $500. cant even begin to explain how lucky i was finding this stuff that cheap

Fish tanks are an expensive addiction
Post InfoPosted 28-Feb-2006 15:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Inkling
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 498
Votes: 11
female usa
Hmmm. My 46-er was $140, I believe, but I got a 20% discount on it ^_^ It came with the stand, tank, lighted hood. My filter cost me about $5, but thats because I have small fish in there that arn't too messy and I home most of the time to do water changes. I heat my home instead of my tank but the thermomater was about $5 for a good one. Once I move, I plan on putting in a heater and a good filter (cant now due to possible water damage to the apartment) and I estimate it will be about $100. Decore was about $50-75, and I spent less then $20 on fish so far, but I plan on adding 4 more at $6 each once my filter and thermomater are improved upon. All together, I probubly spent about $250-300, after I get the new filter/thermomater.

Inky
Post InfoPosted 28-Feb-2006 17:46Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
illustrae
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 876
female usa
When I went all out and started my 30 gallon (before which I'd only had an improperly kept 7 gal that I put goldfish and a pleco in), I bought an acrylic tank, A double tube compact fluorescent hood, and lots of necessary things that I didn't have for the aquarium hobby, So I spent about $1000 getting it set up and planted. Adding fish (many of which were ordered online and shipped to me) and maitenance costs probably adds another $250.
On the other hand, my 65 gallon tank was set up to be low-maitenance, so I spent a lot less on it. The whole set up probably cost me $600, and that's with bogwood that I had shipped to me and lots of expensive anubias plants. The fish I bought for that tank were also expensive and mail-ordered so I had to pay for shipping, then I had the power outage that wiped out about $100 worth of angelfish. So all told, that tank probably cost $800 total.

I think cost depends a lot on what you hope to achieve with an aquarium. If you're going for a hevily planted tank, they tend to cost more because you have to get filtration that won't interfere with your plants and the look of the tank, CO2 can be expensive to set up, lighting can be almost prohibitively expensive, and then there's the plants themselves, which often need to be shipped overnight for thoseof us not lucky enough to have well-stocked LFS nearby. And there are those of us who feel that it's worth it to have unusual specimens of either fish or plants shipped overnight, and those costs can quickly add up, and then there's the question of whether you want to splurge on an acrylic tank and whether or not you have to pay to have that shipped as well.

If I were to set up a 75 gal. african chiclid tank, it would be cheap. I'd get a glass tank, rock from a local quarry, I might splurge on a cannister filter, but an HOB would probably be fine, and pool filter sand for substrate. I could probably do all that for about $300, plus another $100 for fish.

On the other hand, I have dreams of a 100 gallon tank that I'd get in acrylic and have it shipped to me, a big eheim cannister filter, and unusual large specimens of fish to inhabit it, so I'm anticipating spending at least $2000 on that project someday.

Hoping that there must be a word for everything I mean...
Post InfoPosted 28-Feb-2006 19:07Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
bettachris

---------------
-----
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 4173
Votes: 452
male usa
my first 55 was bought about 9 years ago(if their has been any price change)

i think i got a starter 55 high with a stand for around 400 usd. i am not sure with gravels,filters,heater,powerheads etc...

and fish wise, over the 9 years, i probably spent about 150 dollars on all of my fish.
Post InfoPosted 01-Mar-2006 02:15Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
xlinkinparkx
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 353
Votes: 2
male canada
EditedEdited by xlinkinparkx
Awwwww....i spent i think 100$(canadian) on a 10gallon with just the aquarium and hood...

I want a bigger aquarium, i got my 10gal b4 last christmas, but my mom dosent want me to get one sucks....

10gallon: 8neons 5gallon: 1betta
1oto
2platys
Post InfoPosted 01-Mar-2006 02:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
When I setup my first tank which was 55g I spent $50 for the tank, $20 for a penguin 330 filter, $20 for a glass top, $10 for an 80w shoplight fixture, $2 for a bag of sand from menards, and about $10 for a couple plants. Fish cost I have no idea. Then I decided the sand wasn't going to work and spent about $40 to put in eco complete mixed with tahitian moon sand. Added a 2nd penguin 330. Eventually I bought another shoplight fixture and another year later I spent $100 to get a pc fixture bringing my light up to 4wpg. By then I lost track of the cost of plants and driftwood I'd added. Now that whole setup is in the 90g which I spent another $40 on eco complete, $50 on a cannister filter, and $30 on a big piece of driftwood that still won't sink.
All my tanks together I don't even want to try to add it up... I have two 10g, one 29g, one 5g, one 90g, and I just turned the 20 long into a saltwater tank. Plus the 55 sitting dry due to lack of another 4' long area in the apartment.
Post InfoPosted 01-Mar-2006 03:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Theresa_M

---------------
---------------
-----
Queen of Zoom
Kudos: 4280
Votes: 790
female usa us-maryland
All my tanks together I don't even want to try to add it up

Me either

I have some of my receipts...I paid a $60 for a 10g kit w/dual metal stand. I normally don't buy kits but this was a good deal since it was put together by a lfs, not one of those prepackaged kits.

My 75g is the largest tank I have. For the tank, canopy, light strip, oak cabinet, 50lbs gravel, 2 heaters and filter I paid $381.

That leaves the 30g, 29g, 20g, another 10g, 5.5g, 2.5g I had an Eclipse 6 that I sold recently and I have a 5g Mini-Bow not in use that I may sell....1 2.5g hex is empty, 2 others I gave away...and my other 10g, stand, filter, hood & light were free.

Fish, decorations, etc? No way would I want to even try to figure that out

~~~~~~~~~~~~
There is water at the bottom of the ocean
Post InfoPosted 01-Mar-2006 16:42Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
koi keeper

---------------
---------------
----------
Kudos: 2033
Votes: 240
female usa us-iowa
700-800 for a 55? OUCH

my 125 was right around there (brand new tank and equipment)

Koi

Empty chairs at empty tables, the room silent, forlorn.
Post InfoPosted 01-Mar-2006 16:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
SheKoi
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 553
Votes: 4
male uk
the money we spend on our little swimming friends is scary

my new 72 gallon
Tank and stand £300
Light £90
2 heaters £30
Substrate £80
Plants £60
Wood £40
Filter £80
Fish £? not sure had most for long time to restock would cost about £100

Then all food, excel, plant food £50 so far

so far then a grand total of £860

www.blooming-brilliant.co.uk
Post InfoPosted 02-Mar-2006 19:29Profile Homepage MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
I have spent just over $1000 Aust in setting up and making the base frame for the Betta desk top tank.
You can see why in link.

I have no idea how many Klms I drove looking for all the bits and pieces a few trips were over 100klm return and I did this several times.

If you could calculate the labour cost for the base a easy $300Aust

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 03-Mar-2006 10:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies