Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeInformation and Livestock Sources
Bob Wesolowski
----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 1462
male usa
EditedEdited by Bob Wesolowski
It is interesting being on the internet and being old. This board and many like it are a boon to the hobby and to the knowledge that can be almost instantly shared from Kalamazoo to Brisbane (I think I read on this board that someone called it "Brisbie" ) in the flash of a fin.

Although people post constantly about advice received from the 16/18/50 year old at their LFS, I have not read many posts where people seek information from their local aquarium club/society! It was the very first group that I looked for when I moved to this little chunk of southwestern Michigan.

The Southwestern Michigan Aquarium Society (SWMAS) turned out to be a gem. Think of three nationally published authors, three national class killifish breeders, a number of discus guys and a few who dabble in c. sterbai for fun! Toss in a handful of plant geeks to go with the fish geeks and the breeding geeks with a 100 or so species on their "yeah those were easy fish to spawn" lists, it makes me wonder about the breadth (depth?) of knowledge in a county with less than a 250,000 population.

Yet, I have not seen a post that talks to the existence of these organizations. But if you want a fish that is not stressed by transport, confinement in a overcrowded tank and is acclimated to your local water - you might want to find the local fish geeks.

If you are looking for an odd plant or want to know how to propagate the weed - you might want to find the local fish geeks.

If you are looking for a steady supply of vinegar eel, black worms, daphnia or similar disgusting critters that will surely escape their bottles, tins or boxes to infest your home but are ever so necessary to bringing your fish into breeding prime - you might want to find the local fish geeks!

Just a little rant on the local resources that may or may not be available in your community. I always check the back of TFH or other magazines when I take a trip to see if I might visit a club in Florida or Arizona or Belgium. I never know what I might learn or find or collect or...

Post InfoPosted 07-Mar-2006 07:39Profile PM Edit Report 
sirbooks

---------------
---------------
----------
Sociopath
Kudos: 5164
Votes: 932
male usa us-virginia
I hear you. Personally I would love to get involved in an aquarium club, but the only one around here is a reefer group, and I'm not too big on home reefs yet. The closest decent freshwater club I know of is the Potomac Valley Aquarium Society, but they're hours away. Way to make me jealous there, Bob.

And when he gets to Heaven, to Saint Peter he will tell: "One more Marine reporting, Sir! I've served my time in Hell."
Post InfoPosted 07-Mar-2006 14:36Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
OldTimer
---------------
-----
Mega Fish
USAF Retired
Kudos: 1294
Votes: 809
male usa
EditedEdited by OldTimer
I ony wish we had an aquarium club or society here locally. As to the best of my knowledge there is none.

I remember very well when I first started in the hobby back in 1972 I was in Las Vegas, Nevada at the time stationed at Nellis AFB. There was a very active club there "The Nevada Aquarist Society." It not only got me off on the right foot in the hobby, it was just plain fun. We published a monthly newsletter, held monthly meetings and had a very large annual fish show held at the Las Vegas Convention Center where there would be anywheres from 50 to 100 tanks on display. I remember one member that always brought in their custom made, stainless steel framed 300 gallon aquarium along with his school of full grown tinfoil barbs. That was quite the display back then.

I waited patiently each month for the meeting as it was about the only way we had the ability to share information, swap hard to locate species and just share our experiences.

Jim

Water, taken in moderation, cannot hurt anybody. -- Mark Twain
Post InfoPosted 07-Mar-2006 17:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
crazyred
---------------
-----
Fish Addict
LAZY and I don't care :D
Kudos: 360
Votes: 293
female usa
Down here I feel lucky to have a LFS with fish in the tanks (sometimes)....much less an aquarium club. Some areas are just not up to speed when it comes to things like that.

~~Melissa~~
"Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder."
Post InfoPosted 07-Mar-2006 17:28Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
upikabu
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 393
Votes: 44
male australia
EditedEdited by upikabu
There are a couple of aquarium clubs in this area, but it's geared more towards cichlids (which I have no experience with except for Rams). Plus with a young kid at home, I don't have that much free time to go to regular meetings (it's hard enough to negotiate tank maintenance time with my wife! ). I do occasionally go to the fish auction that they organize once every six months - great place to pick up bargains! Mostly I meet other local fish geeks through internet forum trades.

I wish there was an aquatic plant club around here!

BTW, it's "Brissie" (or Brisvegas).

-P
Post InfoPosted 08-Mar-2006 05:19Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
luvmykrib
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 256
Votes: 27
female canada
Thanks for that post Bob, I never really thought of looking for a club locally, I am involved in too many clubs with my children I guess. I found one and searched a bit through the site and did find some valuable info. I never would have thought of it on my own.

"If you're afraid you'll make a mistake, you won't make anything."
-Family Circus
Post InfoPosted 08-Mar-2006 07:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Bob Wesolowski
----------
Mega Fish
male usa
Mmm, no club in your area? Ever consider trying to start one? Maybe talk to the biology department at the local college? Ask the LFS if they would like to sponsor one? Random thoughts!

Post InfoPosted 09-Mar-2006 18:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
OldTimer
---------------
-----
Mega Fish
USAF Retired
Kudos: 1294
Votes: 809
male usa
Personally, my biggest problem with trying to start a club is the time factor. To do it right is a major undertaking and at last count I think I actually see my wife maybe an hour a day as it is, so..... Some of you know how that is.

Sometimes making a living means not much time for a life

Jim

Water, taken in moderation, cannot hurt anybody. -- Mark Twain
Post InfoPosted 09-Mar-2006 19:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Bob Wesolowski
----------
Mega Fish
male usa
think I actually see my wife maybe an hour a day as it is, so...

Always goes back to the old saying, "Happy wife, happy life!"

Post InfoPosted 09-Mar-2006 20:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies