AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Aquaria
 L# General Freshwater
  L# Inherited the old family 30g tank...
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeInherited the old family 30g tank...
Alcasan

Small Fry
Kudos: 5
Votes: 4
male usa us-pennsylvania
Went to a LFS, I'm about 4 days through the first week they suggested running the full tank with no fish. Here's a list of what I have/what I'm thinking of getting to get input (based on reading lots of other threads here of people saying post what you're wanting to get so people can give input :-)

30x12x19 glass tank with stand and currently florescent hood
Fluval 206 (45g) filter
Heater, air pump with ~10" stone, all fake plants, stone/shell/coral and a bridge decoration.

Fish I'm thinking of getting:

Recommended temperature range: 75.2 - 75.2 F.
Recommended pH range: 6.5 - 7.5.
Recommended hardness range: 6 - 15 dH.
Your aquarium filtration capacity for above selected species is 105%.
Recommended water change schedule: 27% per week.

From my reading, it seems the danios would be good for the initial cycle? What would be a good schedule to add the others?

I'm also thinking I would love the shimmer effect and timer functionality of the new LED lights, which I believe would fit on this hood. Any thoughts about LED lights? I'm thinking of this one http://amzn.com/B00494NBEA

Attached Image:
Post InfoPosted 18-Oct-2012 01:57Profile PM Edit Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi, and welcome to FP!
Many feel that cycling a tank with fish is, today, a cruel way to cycle a tank. It raises the ammonia and nitrite levels to near, if not lethal levels, and just plain tortures the fish. This can weaken them to the point where they develop disease and/or die.

Decades ago cycling a tank with fish was the only way, and unfortunately today, that old way still passed on as the only and best way.

I suggest, since you have already got the tank up and running (checking for leaks, etc) that you check out "Fishless Cycling."

This is but one of dozens of sites that will help you cycle the tank before adding fish:
http://www.algone.com/articles/technical-aquarium-information/fishless-cycling

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 18-Oct-2012 20:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Alcasan

Small Fry
male usa us-pennsylvania
Thanks for the reply!

Yes I started reading about fishless cycling after i posted. I'll start that now.
Post InfoPosted 18-Oct-2012 21:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Fishless cycle is the way to go

Zebra danios are great, but tend to be fairly active and can annoy some other fish. Plus I've had a few be rather nippy in my day and they may, may go after the angelfish. You might want to consider a larger school of Harlies, 6-8 instead of the danios. And look at getting a small school of some of the smaller corys for the bottom.

Are you planning on sticking with the plastic plants? Live plants tend to look so much nicer. Look to java fern tied to your ornaments (I have some tied to the silk plant bases even, they've grown up and over the fake plants). If the bulbs are old you will probably want to replace them if you are thinking of going live plants. That sized tank is pretty easy to still do DIY CO2 as well if you do go that far.

I've not yet had a chance to see LED lights live in aquariums, looks interesting, and would save on the power bill that's for sure!

^_^

Post InfoPosted 19-Oct-2012 01:21Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Alcasan

Small Fry
male usa us-pennsylvania
Thanks Babelfish. I'll have to look at those.

I had decided against live plants cause we'd like to keep this more toward the low-maintenance side of aquarium keeping (as "low" as that is ). I'll keep that in mind for the future though, once we figure out how all the basic stuff works out.

I just wish those LED lights weren't 200 bucks...
Post InfoPosted 19-Oct-2012 02:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Haha! That was my thought about the lights too ! but, lights for tanks are usually pretty pricy (the whole aquatic environment thing). Since you've got functional lights ATM and not going with a planted tank might just keep those lights in mind for later. Have you seen them "in action" at the fish store? Impressions ?

The reason I suggested java fern specifically is that it as low maintenance as a rock. Granted they do tend to send out babies from time to time but those are pretty easily picked up removed. I've had them do fine even in unlit (ok naturally lit) tanks.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 19-Oct-2012 04:40Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Alcasan

Small Fry
male usa us-pennsylvania
EditedEdited 19-Oct-2012 17:31
I haven't been able to find LED lights IRL (the one at the lfs didn't have any water in it) - only videos on youtube where most people say "It looks a lot better in real life." At least in my head the shimmer thing looks really cool, as well as the blue "moonlight" mode. I was hoping to get the one with the timer but so far timers only come on the reef capable LED fixtures. I feel like I need to wait and let the technology (as far as it relates to aquariums) mature a bit.

I have read that about java fern. If we do go real plants, that's undoubtedly how we'll start I'm not confident yet that I've found a good lfs, so I feel I should wait before I bite off more than I can chew without a good local store to back me up if I run into problems.

I have recently become enamored of the supersized sunken helicopter I saw at the lfs. The reason being that I'm a computer gamer and occasionally have LAN parties at my house and it would be FREAKING AWESOME if there was a crashed chopper in my tank a la Battlefield 2 . Here's a link to the closest I could find to what I remember seeing at the store. (I remember the store's looking a lot more realistic than this)
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM7373689402P?sid=IDx20110310x00001i&srccode=cii_184425893&cpncode=32-177698729-2
I measured it quickly at the store and think it's around 19" long. Would this take up too much swim space in a 30x12x19 tank? Just want to make sure I'm not creating a bad environment for the fish while trying to impress people that come over
Post InfoPosted 19-Oct-2012 13:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
heh that ones pretty cool! I don't see it really being a problem, any bottom dwellers you get will love playing in it, and of course over time it will start to look more realistic. Especially if you have some java fern growing up around it (ya ya I'll lay off ). You may find you want to put it to one corner or side or prop it up differently to allow swim room, worth a go for sure. Just double check that there is no chance for air getting trapped in it, you may have to carefully drill a small hole in what becomes the top of it based on your tank layout so that any air bubbles that do drift in can drift out again before turning anerobic and killing any fish.

Google search your area for fish stores, or try a phone book. If you're going to the chain pet stores or even worse Wlmrt, it's definitely worth it to make sure you find a good one to frequent.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 24-Oct-2012 01:30Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Alcasan

Small Fry
male usa us-pennsylvania
Fine. I'll start looking for some daggum java fern. Sheesh...

There's a pre-made hole near the top on the inside, so trapped air won't be a problem. It does look pretty cool I think I do agree with you though, that some living plants around it would be pretty sweet. I could also probably use some around the bottom of one of the fake plants, where it looks rather sparse and, well, fake..

I think you suggested corys. Would that be a problem with the gravel I have? Everything I'm reading says they need either fine gravel or sand. I got a 20 lbs bag of... I guess the average size gravel - maybe a little smaller than the size of a pea, and then a 5 lbs bag of (a different color) gravel a little larger than a pea. Would that be too big for their barbels? Is there another suggestion for a bottom dweller that would do ok with gravel?

I have done a bit of research on LFS's in this area. There are 2 - one's closer but smaller and the other's much bigger with a shark tank. They seem (from google reviews) to go up and down based on the quick management turnaround. I don't know if that's typical with fish stores, but so far they both seem to be OK (number of dead fish, cleanliness, employee suggestions, etc).
Post InfoPosted 24-Oct-2012 15:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Glad my nagging finally paid off for once Just kidding! Get one or two pieces of java fern, after a while they'll put out babies which you can use to unfake your fake plants. You'll see they're about as much maintenance as a fake plant, and they do make a difference.

Make sure that hole in the helicopter is at the very top, otherwise you'll get a buildup above it and you'll have to tip the bubble every few days to prevent toxic buildup.

Corys, some are more delicate than others. I'd look for bronze or albino bronze corys. They're pretty darn hardy, grow mid sized and should be ok with the gravel you have. Some of the larger corys you may find too big for your tank (visually and stock wise), and some of the smaller corys may have problems with the larger gravel where they're unable to get much food before it falls too far down into the gravel.

Sounds like you do have some pretty ok stores in the area, I visited one (and quickly crossed it off the list) that was fully infected with ick and they were still selling as if nothing was wrong! Another store had maybe one or two live fish floating in what was an entire wall of dead....that one was a chain store and it was all I could do to not throw up. I should have now that I think about it!

^_^

Post InfoPosted 25-Oct-2012 22:23Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies