Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeLight's On Or Off
Edith
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 30
Votes: 0
female canada
I have 5 little fry's in a ten gal tank. I have the spong filter in with them. Now here is the question do I leave the light's on for them over night and how long is the best to have the light's on threw the day?

edith
Post InfoPosted 16-Dec-2006 04:21Profile PM Edit Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
You need a normal on/off cycle. Lights on for no more than 12hours a day and complete darkness(no room lights or anything) for at least a few hours at night. If you don't have plants 6-8hours of light a day is probably plenty. I lost the site but someone did an experiment on guppy fry and found without light they did not grow as fast and with light on all the time they died. All fish will die if they don't have enough time without the lights on.
Post InfoPosted 16-Dec-2006 04:34Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Bignose
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 81
male usa
Just to add a little to what sham said, fish need light just like people do. Fish need Vitamin D, again just like people, and one of the primary sources of Vit. D is self-generation which is triggered by light. People get a disease called rickets is they do not get enough Vitamin D; I have no idea what fish-rickets are, but they cannot be good. So, the lights need to be on for several hours each and every day. A lot of us buy timers for the lights and then never have to think about it again.
Post InfoPosted 16-Dec-2006 22:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
goldfishgeek
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 412
Votes: 38
female uk
"fish Rickets"

so how long do lights have to be on for.

I kept mine on for 12 hours, but then got Algae. so now I leave it on for 8 hours

is that enough?

GFG

Post InfoPosted 17-Dec-2006 18:56Profile Homepage Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Both my tanks are on for 8 hrs. I also use a timer it certainly makes it far simpler. Have you got any floating plants for them like water sprite this gives them a natural shelter from the bright light.

The light could help in getting algae but is far from the only cause.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info

Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 18-Dec-2006 02:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies