Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeMissing Fish
oz196
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 119
Votes: 15
male usa
I have a 75 gallon tank with 4 4-6 inch african chiclids, 2 babys, 2 blue rams, and a chinesse alegeater. Every once in a while a fish will dissapper for a day may be two, but I have not seen one of my larger chiclids in like a week . He is one of the more agressive ones so I don't think he is hiding out from the other fish, when should I start to really worry, and/or tear the tank appart (don't really want to)

p.s. I have fake drift wood in wich the fish can hide in, they swim inside of it, like the inside inside)
thanks
Post InfoPosted 02-Feb-2006 20:40Profile Yahoo PM Edit Report 
Bob Wesolowski
----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 1462
male usa
EditedEdited by Bob Wesolowski
Is it possible that the fish is hiding for a reason? Often pecking orders change in a group. Perhaps another fish has become dominnat... or the dominant fish was female and may have spawned... or it is dead inside your driftwood.

A good indicator of the worst possible outcome is your tank parameters. A climb in ammonia, nitrites or nitrates would make me suspicious of fish foul play! In any case, I would do daily water tests and boost my water changes in both quantity and frequency until I knew what happened to the fish.

Post InfoPosted 02-Feb-2006 22:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Lindy

---------------
----------
Administrator
Show me the Shishies!
Kudos: 1350
Votes: 730
female australia au-victoria
Gently move your decor around to find the missing fish. If the fish is hiding there is most likely a reason for it. It could be sick and in need of treatment, or as Bob has said the dominant position may of been taken by another fish.
If it is dead then you need to remove the remains asap or you will have water quality issues as the body rots.

Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Post InfoPosted 02-Feb-2006 23:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Two Tanks
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 328
Votes: 13
female usa
How big is your Chinese Algae Eater? I have heard that they can get really agressive as they get older.
Post InfoPosted 03-Feb-2006 02:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Doedogg
---------------
Banned
Kudos: 737
Votes: 445
female usa
It's probably hiding real good. I have an African Brown Knife that I see maybe every 2-3 months. I know where it's hidy spot is and every time I start wondering about its whereabouts and whether it's still with me, it pops out for 30 seconds or so.

I used to be Snow White, but I drifted.
~ Mae West
Post InfoPosted 03-Feb-2006 03:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
oz196
-----
Big Fish
male usa
i have moved the drift wood pieces around but did not see the missing fish. I will give him a few more days, if it is dead inside a piece of drift wood I'm not really sure if I could get it out.
Has anyone else noticed how these big fish can squezze into such small spaces/holes
Post InfoPosted 03-Feb-2006 04:32Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
fishkid99
----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 218
Votes: 39
male usa
have you checked around the tank to see if he/she had jumped out? I know that probably didnt happen but its possible.
and yes i do notice how fish will get into tiny holes like that my purple parrot does it all the time.

>>>----> <----<<<

pnh
Post InfoPosted 03-Feb-2006 05:13Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
jasonpisani
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 7215
Votes: 1024
male malta
If it's dead inside the Driftwood, try to get it out as soon as possible, so you don't foul the water. Try moving the Driftwood to see if it's in it.

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/s8xi5heh/my_photos
http://www.geocities.com/s8xi5heh/classic_blue.html
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/buzaqq/
http://www.deathbydyeing.org/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/corydoras/
Member of the Malta Aquarist Society - 1970.
http://www.maltaaquarist.com
Post InfoPosted 03-Feb-2006 09:12Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
Kudos: 1997
Votes: 670
male usa
oz196,

Sounds a little fishy

How can a 6 inch fish (how is not shy by nature) simply dissapear for over a week? I guess you checked the area around the tank. Do you have house animals that would eat an escaped fish?

I also think you should try to check in the tanks ASAP, if it is dead then the water quality would fall rapidly.

Ingo

Proud Member of the New Jersey Aquatic Gardeners Club
Post InfoPosted 03-Feb-2006 12:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
oz196
-----
Big Fish
male usa
the missing fish still has not appeared, I checked around the tank before I posted this thread and did not find any remains, so I don't belive it jumped out, the tank is well covered. My water quality is still good. If I don't see it tonight, I will take my tank apart either tommorow or the next day. I have moved the fake driftwood around just to make sure the holes were not covered up by the gravel. I hope he turns up soon, he is dark blue and purple with a few black stripes.
Post InfoPosted 03-Feb-2006 21:03Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
luvmykrib
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 256
Votes: 27
female canada
EditedEdited by luvmykrib
Sorry, I have not seen him!

The end of your post was like a lost kitten sign, couldn't resist.

If you have a HOB filter, be sure to check there, behind the heater is a place many fish will hide when ill, they also disintegrate fairly quickly, as it has been a week there may be no remains left. My brother had a pleco go into a fake drift wood and pass away, all he found were bits of skull. If you have a cat or dog, they would make sure to remove any evidence of the fish 'escaping' the tank as well.

Hope you find him soon!

"If you're afraid you'll make a mistake, you won't make anything."
-Family Circus
Post InfoPosted 03-Feb-2006 21:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
oz196
-----
Big Fish
male usa
i have a canister filter, he is not behind the heater or the intake/output.
Post InfoPosted 03-Feb-2006 21:42Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
oz196
-----
Big Fish
male usa
i found him, please read Amazing Story
Post InfoPosted 05-Feb-2006 06:06Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies