L# General Freshwater
  L# Moss Rocks!!
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeMoss Rocks!!
oldfishnewfish
Hobbyist
Kudos: 16
Votes: 1
hey guys i understand that if you put a rock in a glass of water infront of a window that gets sunlight it will grow moss on it, anyways my question is can you do this with gavel? or does it need to be just like a big rock...
Post InfoPosted 25-Jan-2009 05:26Profile PM Edit Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
its actually algae and if it grows long enough it can appear like moss but it is not moss. its a good feeding tool for algae eaters, but not something you'd really want to do. it could be done on gravel in a thin sheet but its just not a good ideas as the gravel will get mixed and tossed and the algae that gets buried will die and contaminate the water.

if you want moss you will have to buy it or find a hobbyist/store that is willing to give it away.

-Brandon

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 25-Jan-2009 05:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
EditedEdited by Shinigami
IME, it does not work very well during the winter. If you're up here in the Northern hemisphere you might not be able to grow very much.

If you're trying to feed algae eaters this is an option, but if you're going for a certain look growing algae may not be a good idea. There are aquarium plants such as "java moss" that give a nice mossy effect, although IME mossy-type aquatic plants are magnets for detritus and don't look very good without good maintenance.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 25-Jan-2009 05:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
oldfishnewfish
Hobbyist
Kudos: 16
Votes: 1
i was planning on getting some shrimp with some corys and some tetras and was just thinking if i could get algae like that for free i could save a couple bucks that i could spend on the fish themselves...
Post InfoPosted 25-Jan-2009 06:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
its worth a try with the shrimp,

but the corries probably wont touch it. they prefer sinking pellets and un eaten flakes/granules/etc.

get a few anubias and some other live plants and you should be fine... you might be able to score moss at your lfs, or you can just wait and buy some online... My lfs gave me a bag of moss one time for free, unfortunately i forgot it in the car and it go hot and died

also look arround for local fishkeeping clubs as they might help you to save some money on plants and fish and possibly even the set up.

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 25-Jan-2009 19:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies