AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Aquaria
 L# General Freshwater
  L# Moving Shrimp/Fish Long Distance. Quick Replies Needed!!!
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeMoving Shrimp/Fish Long Distance. Quick Replies Needed!!!
SheKoi
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 553
Votes: 4
male uk
a friend of mine has found some shrimp / fish that i want, in his local LFS for a very good price - can't get them near me.

problem is he lives 4 hour drive away.

would it be ok to bring them up if they each had a bag to themselves and were packed into a box and padded out with paper etc.

otherwise how else could it be done, straight from LFS

cheers shekoi

www.blooming-brilliant.co.uk
Post InfoPosted 05-Apr-2006 11:15Profile Homepage MSN PM Edit Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
Kudos: 1997
Votes: 670
male usa
SheKoi,

I am not an expert on long distance fish transports, but here are my 2 cents, for what it is worth:

I would say that if they are packed separately and each bag has oxygen pumped into it (that is what my LFS does) then basically you are fine (or if they pack them in breathable bags) and your focus should be on temperature. I usually fire up the heat in my car (I hate it) to about 27C even before I get to the LFS and then afterwards maintain it for the trip home.

Another option instead of bags could be a bigger container (cooler box etc) that you fit out with a portable battery powered air pump.

Ingo

Proud Member of the New Jersey Aquatic Gardeners Club
Post InfoPosted 05-Apr-2006 11:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
EditedEdited by Metagon
I would use a large cooler myself, and put the fish bags in there. It'll keep the temperature stable and provide darkness which will help calm the fish.

On top of breatheable bags or oxygen pumping, the bags could just be really big. I don't think any of the LFSes near me pump oxygen, but at least they can give you a big bag which will hold more oxygen and water.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 05-Apr-2006 14:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies