L# My Clown Loaches
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeMy Clown Loaches
TYLER W
Small Fry
Kudos: 4
Votes: 0
male canada ca-britishcolumbia
I have five Clown Loaches in a 125 gallon comunity tank. Two of them were given to me by my brother in law. He had them for close to 5 years and now I have had them for about 3 years.
The three I had originally purchased for the Lfs are now about 4 years old(ish). Those three all average about 2.5" long while the two from my brother in law are 6" and 4" long. Should I expect much in the way of growth in the future? Are Clown Loaches slow growers even with ideal conditions?
Post InfoPosted 20-Mar-2011 16:31Profile PM Edit Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
I'd say it's possible that the ones from your BIL got stunted in his tank, do you know what sized tank he was keeping them in?
Water quality can also play a role in growth. Remember reading something about growth hormone buildup a while ago but havent seen anything written about it since then so don't know how true it is .

Have you actually netted the fish out lately to measure outside the water? Even when they're right up against the glass size can be misleading.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 21-Mar-2011 23:36Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
TYLER W
Small Fry
I hope their growth is not stunted. The larger of the two did have a bit of a growth spurt when he ended up in my tank, although I think it was just in width. I have not measured them out of the water...My Brother in laws tank was a 55 gallon community tank, not heavily stocked.
Post InfoPosted 22-Mar-2011 00:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
EditedEdited 22-Mar-2011 04:12
55 IMO is a bit small for a growing loach to have been in. Since you havent seen any growth since they've been in the larger tank it is possible that they are stunted, through no fault of your own.

I wouldn't be too concerned about it, sounds to me like you're taking good care of them.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 22-Mar-2011 02:25Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
TYLER W
Small Fry
Thanks alot for the input. I will update if I all of a sudden have some HUGE Loaches!
Post InfoPosted 23-Mar-2011 02:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 10-Apr-2011 07:14
This post has been deleted
DeletedPosted 08-Jul-2011 12:44
This post has been deleted
TYLER W
Small Fry
Ya so, my loaches are the stars of my tank. They have grown to be quite large. All the smaller loaches are now around 4" to 5" long. The largest one in the tank is around 9" and fat. I want to add more to the tank but I think I need to move some fish out to another tank.

What would the maximum number of loaches be that i could put in my tank if they were the only fish in the tank? It is 125 gallons and has four pieces of bogwood in it and is lightly planted.

Thanks for the input!!
Post InfoPosted 27-Dec-2012 04:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies