Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeNew Tank:
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
Hi everyone:
I have been saving up to buy a row out tank for my endlers as they have been in the tank less than a month and thepopulation already seems to be growing...

I bought a 10gallon kit today, complete with hood, lights, filter, and tank... it was arround 30$ which is a good buy seeing as the hood and tank alone could have costed near that.

when i got home i gravel vaccummed an established healthy tnak and put all the water in the new tank along with half of fresh water from the tap. i started the filter and put in arround 10 fry to get a "cycle" going. i figured fry would have a slower bioload and therefore not have as bad a shock on the spike (hope i am right!) the tank is pretty yucky looking right now with all the mulm and such floating about, but the filter will soo take care of that!

the other thing is I didnt put in any gravel, will the tank be ok from these tellings? is there anything i should do/ missed doing?

eventually it sill have gravel and some live plants, but not quite yet, as the wallet is currently empty!

(also bought a pair of gold barbs and paradise fish today)

as soon as I can i will try to get some pictures up.

(also as far as feeding the fry should i stick to "FIRST BITES" or should i use ground flakes and stuff too?)

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 03-Jul-2008 02:31Profile PM Edit Report 
lsburton
-----
Small Fry
Kudos: 7
Votes: 2
male usa
I'm pretty new at this myself but from what I understand all the good stuff is stuck to the hard surfaces and there is not much in the water itself. So if you used old filter media that should have all the bacteria. Also I believe biologically that the fry will grow faster and consume a lot so would actually put more stress on the system than an adult would from all the waste. I'm just thinking dirty diapers.
Scoop some gravel from the established tank and put that in there with them. Good luck but I'm a little scared for the fry to tell you the truth.
Post InfoPosted 03-Jul-2008 13:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
male usa us-california
thanks for the feedback...

I understand what your saying about the whole dirty diapers and hard surfaces thing. I will move over some deco from some established tanks to help and a little gravel as well.

also i got some of the bacteria from gravel vaccuming, so there should be a trace amount. there is also a new potted hairgrass i there so that isnt hurting either.

This is more of an experiment than it is a whole fry saving situation, because the endlers pop out like 5 babies a day, so i am not too terribly worried about the fry, although if they do survive it would be rather nice!

there are also two airstones in there and i shut the filter off because it seemed i lost a few fry from it,so i am going to have to make a sponge filter or DIY air powered one soon!!!!

Post InfoPosted 03-Jul-2008 18:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
Actually, the bulk of the bacteria that supports the
Nitrogen Cycle is inside the aquarium. It is on the
entire surface of each grain of gravel, on the ornaments
and surfaces inside the tank. The filter will hold some
as well as the accumulated "gunk" from the aquarium.

Keeping a handful of the gravel and mulm (stuff caught
between the grains, a mud like consistency) will "jump
start" the cycling process. However for it to continue
and grow, it needs food - fish waste. Merely transferring
the gravel and mulm to the new tank will do nothing
without fish and their waste products to sustain the cycle.

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 03-Jul-2008 20:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
male usa us-california
frank I am way ahaed of you!

i got the hair grass, a nice large portion of xmas moss, and some gravel as well as lot of mulm (the tank water just cleared last night from all the mulm!)

i am not running a filterm but have two airstones going...

to suport the cycle and the bacteria, I have about 15 endler fry in there (added a few more this morining). they lok happy as can be in their new home... swimming arround! and the airstones add some current which keeps the water moving, but they have a safe haven within the moss and hairgrass. everything is going rather "swimimingly"

Post InfoPosted 04-Jul-2008 19:07Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies