Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeNew life for old tank
Michael
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 36
Votes: 2
male usa
This past weekend my 7 year old Festivum finally died leaving me with an empty 29 gallon tank. Toward the end the tank got some decent algae buildup from morning sun coming in through a high up window in the living room. I've done two water changes since his death and scraped all the glass and cleaned a good portion of algae off the rocks, but there's still some there. I didn't want to waste the built up bio colonies, so I figured it would be best to not tear down the tank and sanitize it. What do you think... should I go ahead and start restocking it after I put in some new decorations?

~Michael
Post InfoPosted 23-Jan-2007 01:58Profile Homepage PM Edit Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
Bacteria will start to starve within 24hours of no food source. There will still be some waste breaking down and feeding them but without fish the population will soon start to starve. Within a week I'd bet they'd be mostly wiped out unless your tank is really dirty. Not cleaning the tank will probably only shorten the cycle a small amount unless you add fish within a few days. I normally just tear tanks down unless they are heavily planted and rinse everything. Then add substrate or filter media from another tank that still has fish in it to speed up the new cycle. That way I get to start with completely clean substrate and filters as well as soaking the algae off the glass with vinegar.
Post InfoPosted 23-Jan-2007 02:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
jbe0404
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 47
Votes: 70
male usa
I've heard you can through some food in the tank to keep the bacteria colonies happy until you get new fish. What kind of fish do you want to restock the tank with?
Post InfoPosted 23-Jan-2007 07:32Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Michael
-----
Big Fish
male usa
EditedEdited by Michael
A simple community tank. Tetra or danio school, cory school on the bottom, maybe a few other fish.

The tank looks pretty good right now. I scraped the class so it's all clean and the gravel is vacuumed. The gravel is easy to care for because it's large... about 1" average size and not a lot of it.

The filter is an Emperor 280 with a 7 year old biowheel which I'd really hate to start over on, but I don't know what people normally do in these situations.

~Michael
Post InfoPosted 23-Jan-2007 14:44Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
jbe0404
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 47
Votes: 70
male usa
Your old biowheel should be fine. What kind of community tank were you thinking about? If it was me, I'd put a pair of black convicts in there. But that is just me.

JBE
Post InfoPosted 23-Jan-2007 18:36Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
OldTimer
---------------
-----
Mega Fish
USAF Retired
Kudos: 1294
Votes: 809
male usa
You had said that you may want to add a school of cory's to this tank. The size of gravel that you have is really not the best for keeping cory's as it is too large and would allow food to get down into it and then rot which would cause a build-up of bacteria. As cory's are pretty much bottom dwellers this bacteria build-up can prove to be a health hazard to them.

If you are planning on keeping them I would begin to slowly swap out your larger gravel with a smaller one. You could still add some other fish to the tank to keep it cycled while doing this, but I wouldn't put in cory's until this was done.

Jim

Water, taken in moderation, cannot hurt anybody. -- Mark Twain
Post InfoPosted 23-Jan-2007 21:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Michael
-----
Big Fish
male usa
Do you have any alternate suggestions for the fish then? I like the large gravel.

Thanks for the advice.

~Michael
Post InfoPosted 23-Jan-2007 22:49Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies