Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeNew stocking
spankym13
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 56
Votes: 1
male usa
Hey I have a 55gal cichlid set up with a big rock with bunchs of holes in the center and a few texas holey rocks on each side. While my whole tank passed away im looking to restock in the coming weeks. Are there any other types of fish that thrive in this kind of set up? or will I need to redo my aquascape????? I've also got a canister filter hooked up to it
Post InfoPosted 16-Jul-2009 05:38Profile PM Edit Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
I've not been reading your prior posts, however I would
hope that you have figured out exactly what your problems
were with the earlier fish and the aquarium they were
housed in before you strike off again.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 16-Jul-2009 08:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
spankym13
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
Yes, of course I will! i'm thinking my sand substrate may have been the cause, due to not stiring it up often enought and gas bubbles being trapped? Would it make a good set up if it put the big rock with holes and caves at one end of the tank and left the rest open with a few plants? Im thinking just fresh water fish for the next try! Sharks and such
Post InfoPosted 16-Jul-2009 20:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
Hi,
Yes, sand substrates can be a problematic.
As you mention a large anaerobic area can form and
the hydrogen sulfide that results can be toxic to
both fish and plants.
Keeping the sand bed as thin as possible can ease that
situation and still provide enough mass for plants to
anchor themselves in it. It depends upon the plant.
For instance, a thin, 1/2 inch thick bed would not work
for larger plants such as swords, many crypts, etc.
It might work for many stem plants unless the fish are
picking on the plants or the currents in the tank are
high - both would uproot the plants.

If you are going to continue on with a sand bed, keep it
as thin as possible, as aerated as possible, and as clean
as possible.

Where you put the caves and Texas Holy Rock should be a
blend of what you enjoy looking at, and providing
shelter territories for the fish. Fish like Zebras that
are in constant motion would appreciate the hard-scape all
at one end leaving huge swimming areas, other fish would
stay cooped up among the rocks, too shy to venture out into
the other end for fear of predators.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 17-Jul-2009 07:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
spankym13
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
I Would really like to do some sharks ( bala, red tail). And from there I dont know. I love ghost fish as well. I do stir my sand once a seek is this good enough? what about a loach of some sort that would sift and keep it stired up???? Also are there any that the sand would be bad for???
Post InfoPosted 18-Jul-2009 04:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
spankym13
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
I Would really like to do some sharks ( bala, red tail). And from there I dont know. I love ghost fish as well. I do stir my sand once a seek is this good enough? what about a loach of some sort that would sift and keep it stired up???? Also are there any that the sand would be bad for??? Also love blue rams
Post InfoPosted 18-Jul-2009 04:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
spankym13
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
one more thing, do the need lots of plants ????? or would just 4-5 be ok that way there is plenty of open space to swim????
Post InfoPosted 18-Jul-2009 04:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
Kudos: 217
Votes: 471
female usa us-michigan
Sorry dude, a "Bala" is really not meant for a home aquarium. It has fragile needs and if it lives, it get's WAY too BIG.

Just 'cause it's sold, don't mean you should buy it.

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 18-Jul-2009 05:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
As far as fish appropriate for aquaria go, balas are far more appropriate than fish like iridescent sharks or redtail cats. But indeed, they are inappropriate for the 55 gallon.

A redtail shark should be okay, but it may turn aggressive against other fish. I've never kept one.

I'm currently keeping siamese algae eaters, and they are surprisingly shark-ish, actually...

If by "ghost fish" you mean a black ghost knifefish, they will grow too large for the 55 gallon. However, if you mean glass/ghost catfish, well they'll be fine in the 55 gallon. If you mean glassfish, well then they'd be okay, but they're pretty unique in the water that they like, so I really wouldn't put them with most other fish.

I've never kept blue rams, but my guess is that they prefer having cover (provided by plants) then having lots of open space. Fish that would appreciate more open-space would be the shark-ish, streamlined, fast-moving types.

I have never kept a bottom feeder that would RELIABLY churn the sand, although my royal plec could definitely clear around some sand on occasion. Fish that I have never kept that I'm guessing might be good for churning up sand include banjo catfish, raphael catfish, and Geophagus. The catfish I'm fairly certain would burrow into the sand so would probably work pretty well doing that, and Geophagus would probably be pretty good for churning up sand with their foraging.

Personally, however, I would keep the sand extremely thin. I have sand in my tank right now, and the sand is just thick enough to cover the tank bottom if I spread it out. It's not more than maybe an eighth to a quarter of an inch on average, probably. It's just easier that way and plus, as I've said, I've never had a fish that I would say would reliable churn up the sand.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 19-Jul-2009 04:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
spankym13
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
Well, I've taken all but about 1/2" of sand out. I was thinking some blue/gold rams. And some others that would add something to the middle and upper parts of the tank! Also what about clown loaches I have a store that will do trades when they get to large?
Post InfoPosted 20-Jul-2009 20:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
If you can trade, then by all means, go for clown loaches. There ARE smaller species of loaches, but if you have your heart set on clowns then I don't see anything wrong with that.

I've got two clowns, and IME they do not dig. As I've said, I've got less than half an inch of sand in both my tanks; however, the clowns haven't dug to the bottom in either of them.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 21-Jul-2009 02:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies