Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeOdd white threads
coffeeman
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 60
Votes: 21
usa
So today idid my usual gravel vac/20% water change/trim the plants. I filled the tank back up and went to go clean out the canister filter. I come back to find that there are realy fine white threads floating through my tank and clinging to my fish and plants. So far, everyone seems to be okay, but I have no clue what this stuff is. Any ideas?
Post InfoPosted 29-Jun-2006 06:04Profile ICQ AIM MSN PM Edit Report 
Two Tanks
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 328
Votes: 13
female usa
EditedEdited by Two Tanks
It sounds sort of like the critters I had in one of my ten gallon tanks. Some of them were shorter than others. When I looked at them with a magnifying glass, I could see an area at one end that was a bit wider than the rest, and what looked like a mouth. I think they are some sort of nematode.
I have no idea where mine came from - perhaps a newly introduced pleco or some plant bulbs?
My tank was so bad, I cleaned it all out, bleached it, rinsed it and just finished setting it back up a little while ago, to cycle again.
The two remaining fish from that tank act like they are sick and won't eat (have them in the 29).
Do yours swim in a strange sort of S pattern? (The varmits, not the fish, that is.)
Post InfoPosted 29-Jun-2006 06:39Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Two Tanks
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 328
Votes: 13
female usa
Coffeeman,
I did find something that worked for wipeing out the critters, the night before I stripped it - those fizzing parasite tabs that Walmart sells ended their activity, but my tank was still so full of dead ones, even after another gravel vac, that I just dumped it all.
Post InfoPosted 29-Jun-2006 06:46Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
coffeeman
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 60
Votes: 21
usa
Fortunately, mine wasn't anything that bad. Whatever it was, it's gone today.
Post InfoPosted 30-Jun-2006 06:03Profile ICQ AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Natalie
---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Apolay Wayyioy
Kudos: 3730
Votes: 348
female usa us-california

The "threads" have probably just settled into the substrate. Were they moving at all, indicating that they are some kind of worm? Or were they more like a filamentous algae of some sort?

It's also possible they they could some kind of pet hair or fuzz that somehow got in the tank (perhaps during maintenance).

I'm not your neighbor, you Bakersfield trash.
Post InfoPosted 30-Jun-2006 07:09Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies