Theresa_M

---------------
---------------
-----
Queen of Zoom
Kudos: 4280
Votes: 790
female usa us-maryland
I'm thinking about getting my husband one of those little Picotope aquariums for his desk at work. For those who have desktop tanks, how do you handle water changes/tank cleanings?

~~~~~~~~~~~~
There is water at the bottom of the ocean
Post InfoPosted 09-Jan-2007 05:29Profile Homepage PM Edit Report 
illustrae
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 876
female usa
I have a little 5 gallon office tank, and I keep a small bucket, siphon, and algae scrubber in it for maitenance. On Fridays before I go home, I do my water change, take out the filter and rise the media, and then take the bucket down the hall to the bathroom to dump it. I keep empty gallon milk jugs under my desk, and fill them up earlier in the week so they have a chance to stand for a few days before refilling the tank. It works out well, and since the tank is so small, the weekly maitenance takes only 15-20 minutes total.

Hoping that there must be a word for everything I mean...
Post InfoPosted 09-Jan-2007 17:14Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
OldTimer
---------------
-----
Mega Fish
USAF Retired
Kudos: 1294
Votes: 809
male usa
I've kept both small and large tanks in my office (up to 55 gallons). However, as I'm the employer and had only 1 other employee, it did not cause any problems. The logistics can be difficult though as I only had a small restroom with a very small sink, so it could get "messy" at times.

When I just had a smaller 5 gallon tank it was pretty simple and maintenance time was pretty much about 10-15 minutes a week.

I also just kept a bucket, siphon and glass scrubber on hand for the weekly chores.

Jim

Water, taken in moderation, cannot hurt anybody. -- Mark Twain
Post InfoPosted 09-Jan-2007 17:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
jbe0404
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 47
Votes: 70
male usa
I gave my girlfriend a 5 gallon hex for her new apartment when she moved in. Partially because I didn't like seeing her beta (Bob) cramped up in his little fish bowl. It sits on her desk next to her computer. Maintenance, like said before, only takes about 15-20 minutes each time. I do a weekly water change for her and rinse the filter media.

JBE
Post InfoPosted 09-Jan-2007 18:13Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
caled
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 44
Votes: 0
male uk
Or you could just get a betta in a nice large bowl? A heater might not go amiss if the temperature in the office is known to wander.
I do like my bettas tho
Post InfoPosted 09-Jan-2007 21:07Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Brybenn
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 1173
Votes: 1
male canada
i have a black piranha in my office although his 65 gallon wide tank takes half the wall its nice to watch him hes only 3" long right now
my other office tanks include a 30 gallon planted tank and a 25 gallon home made tank that holds multies
i have my own office in my house for my small businesses
it makes working in the office much more enjoyable but i find most of my time im watching the fish

in most offices id say a 10gallon would be perfect 10 neons or 6 neons and 2 blue rams
Post InfoPosted 23-Jan-2007 19:32Profile ICQ MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
jbe0404
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 47
Votes: 70
male usa
That is a heck of an office tank Brybenn. Truly must be nice to work in that kind of environment.

JBE
Post InfoPosted 23-Jan-2007 22:17Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
wish-ga

----------
Mega Fish
Dial 1800-Positive-Posts
Kudos: 640
female australia
I work in an office. I have a 10g on my desk (think that is the size it is 1 and half feet)..... no different to having a desk potted plant. If anyone objected I would tell them to think of it as a desk lamp

I come in before work and do water changes. Bucket under desk.... ferry it back and forth to rest room. Live locally so can swing by and feed over Christmas break.... most short breaks they go without food.

About to set it up with multis (shell dwellers). Previous inhabitants lived for 5+ years so the arrangements seemed to be fine with feeding schedule etc.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~ My fish blow kisses at me all day long ~~~
Post InfoPosted 23-Jan-2007 23:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Fishyandrew45
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 98
Votes: 0
male usa
EditedEdited by fishyandrew45
I have a 10 gallon tank on my desk, where I do all my work. Its really nice to look it. Its got sand as substrate with a large piece of driftwood as a center piece. Right now its still cycling, but is still very stress-relieving.

Haven't dont much maintanence, but with 10 gallons, it should be minimal.
Post InfoPosted 02-Feb-2007 02:48Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
wish-ga

----------
Mega Fish
Dial 1800-Positive-Posts
Kudos: 640
female australia
Way to go Andrew.... enjoy it

Bet lots of people who swing by your desk enjoy it too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~ My fish blow kisses at me all day long ~~~
Post InfoPosted 02-Feb-2007 04:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies