Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribePacu Question
Crazy_Coyote
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 103
Votes: 17
male usa
My freind wanted to get rid of his 2 pacus a few years back so i took them. they are about 4 years and in good health they havent grown a bit. right now they are the size of my palm, but theyve been the same size since i got them. i know they grow huge, but when is that gonna start happening? also my gar has dissapeared. thought he jumped but found nothing. could the pacus have eaten him or my catfish
Post InfoPosted 16-Jun-2008 00:50Profile PM Edit Report 
zachf92
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 255
Votes: 233
male usa
How many gallons are your tank and your friend's tank? Unfortunately, I would imagine that the pacus were previously stunted from being kept in a small tank.
Also, what kind of catfish are you talking about? The pacus wouldnt have eaten the gar as they're primarily vegetarian.
Post InfoPosted 16-Jun-2008 12:59Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Crazy_Coyote
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 103
Votes: 17
male usa
EditedEdited by Crazy_coyote
i have a 75 gallon my friend has a 50. as for the catfish it has the body of a channel cat but its green with a big black spot just behind its gills. its about 7inches now. i was thinking the pacus di it because ive seen them gulping down goldfish meant for my gar.and i know the catfish is the reason my pleco went missing
Post InfoPosted 16-Jun-2008 13:17Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Hooben

-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 219
male usa us-texas
I really don't see that happening after so much time. That's good news, as so many people I know encounter huge pacu problems only after a few months.
Could have very well been the pacus that ate you others.

Post InfoPosted 22-Jun-2008 22:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
I doubt the Pacus would eat a gar, it doesn't seem like something I've heard of them doing. Pacus are normally vegetarians, but in captivity have been known to go after small prey. A catfish is a very likely predator of another large fish, even fish that are of equal length. The catfish would've gotten really fat right after, if the gar was large enough. By your description, the catfish sounds a bit like a Sun Cat, Horabagrus brachysoma. These guys are good, hardy fish, but can get pretty hungry, just like all predatory cats.

Your pacus are stunted. On the other hand, they probably aren't growing much bigger in these conditions.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 23-Jun-2008 02:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies