L# Pages: 1, 2
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribePainted , Dyed, Dip
katieb
-----
Fish Addict
Votes: 69
female usa
"you also compare injecting fish to humans being stabbed with a pencil. how do you know that it hurts the fish as much as it would hurt us? we currently dont have the technology to interperate how much pain the fish feel."

My question is Why do it?

As the most intelligent beings on Earth I feel it is our obligation to care for(or at least not harm) animals.
Dyeing a fish is harmful to it. It does not die quickly either, like a swatted fly might. It may live for days or months with an open wound(which can become infected). Is slowly killing an animal for extra profit something we should consider acceptable?

Just because we are "more important", doesnt mean we can treat the beings below us however we want.

Additionally, Where do we draw the line? Should i be allowed to keep a horse in small stall all of its life? Should I be allowed to tie a rope to a cats tail and have it be swung around by a ceiling fan for my own amusement.

My point is, we shouldnt be going out of our way to hurt an animal. Of course your going to step on an ant, or maybe run over the occasional squirrel....but it seems just sadistic to treat a fish like this.

I'll do graffiti,
If you sing to me in French.
Post InfoPosted 20-Jun-2006 04:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
EditedEdited by longhairedgit
Most animals facing slaughter with the exception of veal production perhaps, usually experience fairly quick if not totally painless deaths. To equate fish dying with meat slaughter is ridiculous. A cow is not stabbed about 70 times in two days with a rusty javelin just to make it pink, and you dont sit there watching the cow die from huge melanoma lumps over the next two years or the side effects of the heavy metals in the dye. There is no equation between between fish dyeing and meat production but a hell of a lot in common between kicking a dog daily. Its long term torture,simple as that.

To predate is the divine evolutionary and behavioural right of any species capable of it, from an ameoba to a blue whale. They also have the right not to be tortured for vanity or have their lives risked because of it. I think the dyeing of fish has a lot in common with testing cosmetics on animals like rabbits. Vanity of any kind is no reason for an animal of any kind, no matter what the level of intelligence to suffer .EVER. Its unnecessary, selfish beyond all reason, and another of the sicker subcultures of humanity.

Think of it this way.What if you had an unwanted tattoo performed with a blunt implement on you completely against your wishes, with your head dunked underwater for the duration, and then have about a 60% chance of being left with serious infection or a terminal blood transmittable disease? Then face thousands of miles of travel in the dark to destination unknown, weak and injured, shaken and starved of oxygen. I believe the last people to have anything approximating such things done to them were jewish...

Buying dyed fish is not the same as rescuing one, because quite simply, every purchase encourages the trade to continue, thusly proliferating the evil, no matter how fine your intentions might have been. The only way to handle this one is zero tolerance. Better that some fish die in the short term unwanted than have thousands more subjected to this treatment over the coming years.The future suffering and deaths , not to mention the massive resurgence of cauliflower disease will lead to fish suffering in the tens of thousands.Fish for food is a required evil, fish for vanity never will be. Consumer rights doesnt enter into it. End the trade. DON'T buy dyed fish, for ANY reason.

This is not about consumer choice, its about finding a humane side that triumphs over foul vanity,looking at the wider picture and doing the cold,and hard thing necessary to stamp this practice out. Sometimes its hard to do good.

The situation is this. You buy a fish with the noble intention of rescuing it. The shop thinks the fish are popular and orders perhaps another 30 or so.For every 30 fish that get to the shop, say 10- 20% died with two days of the injections from shock. Another 20% die of infection within the next week during transit from being far too ill to travel, and a few more say, 2-5 % die during acclimation in the shop.So thats near on 25-30 fish died just to stock the shop with 30 fish. The fish are bought. They are sick. 60 % of the remaining 30 are bought go to inexperienced keepers who will mot diagnose or treat infection and thusly at least half of those will die within 2 months. So after 2 months 20 out of 60 still alive. Within 6 months another 60% of the remaining 20 will have died from the complications of cauliflower disease or the composition of the dyes used.

Basically its possible that because of the purchase of a few fish , batches of more fish with an eventual survival rate of 8/60 will be imported.So that equates out as 52 out of every 60 dyed fish will die as a result of the purchase of a couple in a shop. All will have been tortured.

Sucks beyond belief when you put it into perspective. Thats why the uk hobbyists are trying to eradicate it.
Post InfoPosted 20-Jun-2006 04:50Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
katieb
-----
Fish Addict
Votes: 69
female usa
EditedEdited by katieb
Thanks git...you said it better than i could.

If you(generic you) value the right to do this to an animal, I can't say I like your values. Selfish is the word that comes to mind.

I'll do graffiti,
If you sing to me in French.
Post InfoPosted 20-Jun-2006 05:08Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ghostfish
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 79
Votes: 4
male australia
Personally, I don'y care abut it. These coloured fish are a waste of moey for both the supplier and the buyer.
1/3 coloured fish live through the ordeal and eventually their colour disapates back to the normal colour.
Post InfoPosted 21-Jun-2006 09:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
daeraelle
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 16
Votes: 9
female usa
Well, I've always thought they were ugly, so I have never bought any. I never will. I like the way I fish looks naturally. Some of the parrots in the pet store here look like they have red gaudy lipstick and green stripes. It's not pretty. Not at all. Some of them stay in the pet store until the color fades. I didn't really think it was a big deal, I've never known anyone to buy any. I don't understand why they still stock them at all.
Post InfoPosted 21-Jun-2006 16:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Calilasseia

---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Panda Funster
Kudos: 2828
Votes: 731
male uk
EditedEdited by Calilasseia
UPDATE :

Hong Kong company offers custom tattooed fish

Look at this and weep

Yes this is for real

Motivated by something longhairedgit said above, I think it's not stretching things to call these 'Mengele Fish' ...

EDIT : Apparently the latest idea is to produce fish with company logos on them. I'll give you three guesses what I think of that idea ...

Panda Catfish fan and keeper/breeder since Christmas 2002
Post InfoPosted 21-Jun-2006 17:11Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Inkling
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 498
Votes: 11
female usa
....this topic again? Wow.

we all have different opinion and personally fishkeepers that breed fish like guppies to use as feeders, isn't that animal cruelty also

In my honest opinion, yes it is cruelty as well, but not to the same degree as dying fish. Fish in feeder tanks serve a productive purpose (FOOD) and arnt like dyed fish who are hurt so that they sell well and look pretty.

Look at this and weep

That is the scariest....and I really do mean SCARY... fish I have ever seen! Who on earth would buy that? I have another comment, but it is innappropriote and would just get my post deleted, so I'll bite my tounge.

Inky
Post InfoPosted 22-Jun-2006 04:45Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
jasonpisani
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 7215
Votes: 1024
male malta
I am against Dyed, Tattood, Dipped & man made/modified fish.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/corydoras/
Member of the Malta Aquarist Society - 1970.
http://www.maltaaquarist.com
Post InfoPosted 22-Jun-2006 09:03Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
daeraelle
----------
Hobbyist
Kudos: 16
Votes: 9
female usa
EditedEdited by daeraelle
Look at this and weep

These are the only artificially colored fish available in the one petstore that has them down here. They don't stock the glassfish or other colored fish. These are hideous. Who would think they could make money off of a fish that looks like this? I'd much rather have the natural fish.
Post InfoPosted 22-Jun-2006 20:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Inkling
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 498
Votes: 11
female usa
If I saw that fish at a store I would SCREAM and run out as fast as I could! The stripes I can see, but the lips are terrifying!!!

Inky
Post InfoPosted 22-Jun-2006 22:58Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies