Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribePower heads have more power then you think
steven1982
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 74
Votes: 38
male canada
I put in a 2 inch Jack Dempsey 2 weeks ago and yesterday I could not find him.
I looked for him and after 4 hours. My wife said to look in the power head. I told her that there was no way as the fish was bigger then the inlet to the power head.
I looked in the power head to show her that I was correct...I was not.
So if you put fish in with a power head make sure that the fish is WAY to big to fit in the power head.
Post InfoPosted 21-Feb-2008 22:09Profile PM Edit Report 
Krash7172
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 47
Votes: 3
Sorry to hear that.

I would look for other causes of death before putting more fish in the aquarium. I find it hard to believe that a healthy Jack Dempsey would get sucked into a powerhead.
Post InfoPosted 21-Feb-2008 22:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
steven1982
-----
Hobbyist
male canada
Hours before he got sucked in he looked fine. The water test good. 0 NO2, O NO3, 73 degrees no other fish in the tank to kill him.
Post InfoPosted 22-Feb-2008 01:27Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Joe Potato

---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kind of a Big Deal
Votes: 309
male usa us-northcarolina
The fact that the nitrate was zero is a bit worrisome. How was the ammonia?
Post InfoPosted 22-Feb-2008 03:06Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Krash7172
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 47
Votes: 3
I recently found out with my cold water tank that it can take a looong time to cycle at room temp.
Post InfoPosted 22-Feb-2008 22:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
steven1982
-----
Hobbyist
male canada
EditedEdited by steven1982
I do not know what the ammonia was. I would think it would be almost nothing as it was an 80 gallon tank with an apple snail, 3 inch pleco and a 2 inch jack. I also do a 3rd water change every month. The tank has also been set up since Sept 2007. The Jack also looked fine, active and was eating 3-4 hour before.
Post InfoPosted 22-Feb-2008 23:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
pizpot
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 82
Votes: 1
male canada
EditedEdited by pizpot
If a crab can climb out of a tank and fall 4 feet onto a rock, then a fish can definitely swim into a powerhead. Suction is funny that way. Sure, usually a fish in a filter got there because it was dying, but not always. Sorry for your fish.
Post InfoPosted 22-Mar-2008 03:29Profile ICQ PM Edit Delete Report 
AgentKash
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 12
usa
I have a powerhead in my 55Gal just sitting there with nothing but the little cone guard over the inlet. This thing has murdered about 8 neons and 2 water frogs (all very small). Water perimeters are fine, including amonia. I have now placed some Fluval media material over the inlet. Still seems to suck a whole lot of volume, so I think I'll have the same issues should I add neons. Its kind of lame that I cannot add neons thanks to my powerhead.
Post InfoPosted 01-Apr-2008 23:52Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
Steven, sorry for your loss. it is terrible to find new fish dead withing a day or so. but it could have been an accidental suicide. i would try to find a way to further block your power head or turn down the volume output to increase the longevity you can keep your fish.

also with a power head that strong stick with larger species or specimens so they wont end up with the same fate...

as for you Kash, stick with stronger larger specimens and species! neons are usually weak from the start. go for something a little larger and stronger.

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 02-Apr-2008 04:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
AgentKash
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 12
usa
Is there a way to adjust flow on a Penguin 660? I would love to be able to tune it down a bit.....cuz I looooooove neons.
Post InfoPosted 02-Apr-2008 23:45Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
EditedEdited by Shinigami
Kash, how about cardinal tetras? They are hardier since they're not so inbred and mass-produced. Plus, they have more red. Neons dying is not the fault of the filter, but of the stock. It's a shame but true.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 03-Apr-2008 03:24Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies