SubscribePrecautionary Meds?
niggit
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 282
Votes: 0
female canada
EditedEdited by niggit
just wondering if you think it's advisable to do a general treatment (ie: for parasites) when buying new fish (when they're in quarantine, for example).

reason i ask is that i am buying 5 or 6 discus from a local breeder. he seems reputable and the fish look healthy and are mature (mostly 3-4 inches)... but he told me that one of the smaller, almost runty fish that he had just died. it was always skinnier and didn't really grow, then it went downhill quickly, turned dark and died. this fish was in with some of the ones i am getting.

so, i'm just wondering, is there something i should treat the new fish with when i get them as a precaution? what would you do?
Post InfoPosted 02-Sep-2006 20:10Profile PM Edit Report 
LITTLE_FISH
---------------
----------
***** Little Fish *****
Master of Something
Kudos: 1997
Votes: 670
male usa
niggit,

If you really believe that the breeder is reputable, why don't you ask for his advise?

Also, what would you be treating for? You mentioned parasites, but are you sure that the breeder's discss died of this illness? It could have well been that this particular fish was deformed from the get go (stunted in the first place) and it was his time to succumb to this issue.

I would not treat the tank for one illness if I don't know that it would help at all, that at least is my opinion.

Have fun with the fishies,

Ingo

Proud Member of the New Jersey Aquatic Gardeners Club
Post InfoPosted 02-Sep-2006 20:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Bleeder
---------------
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 50
male singapore
Hi Niggit,

I would normally use aquarium salt, with a very very small amount though. It normally prevents any unwanted bacterial infections. Be careful not to add those too often though, for the salt content would accumulate and it doesn't dissipate, so to speak.

Bleeder's Forum
http://silentlucidity.s10.forumsplace.com
Post InfoPosted 02-Sep-2006 21:27Profile Homepage MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
So_Very_Sneaky
---------------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2272
Votes: 201
female canada
Hi there,
After having the worlds worst outbreak of camallanus
worms, I can tell you assuredly, treat for internal parasites in all new fish while in QT.
A good medicated food will do the trick.
I use Fenbendazole (brand name panacur), to treat
all new fish while in QT for worms.
It basically involves mixing 3cc of the granulated med,
in 100ml of water, adding bloodworms and letting sit for
30 mins to 1 hour, then I use a fork to strain out the bloodworms and feed the fish. Feed for 2 days, twice a day, and repeat in 14 days. I do this full treatment before adding new fish to my tanks.

Other than that, I do no other general treatments of new fish, unless they appear to need it.

Come Play Yahtzee With Me!
http://games.atari.com
Http://www.myleague.com/yahtgames
Post InfoPosted 02-Sep-2006 22:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
niggit
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 282
Votes: 0
female canada
thanks for the advice.

so_very_sneakY: i had worms in one of my tanks, too... it's such a pain! i guess that's why i'm just extra cautious now...

but, it also makes sense not to just go making 'chemicle stew' for the heck of it, so aside from possibly deworming, i guess i'll just keep an eye on the fish and go from there...?
Post InfoPosted 03-Sep-2006 00:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sirbooks

---------------
---------------
----------
Sociopath
Kudos: 5164
Votes: 932
male usa us-virginia
I agree with the Sneaky one here. Deworming is the only precaution I would take so far as meds go. A little while back I read a pretty convincing article on deworming and fish, and it made some good points. Personally I'd like to really look into the reasons for and against this, but from the evidence I've seen so far, it helps more than hurts.

And when he gets to Heaven, to Saint Peter he will tell: "One more Marine reporting, Sir! I've served my time in Hell."
Post InfoPosted 03-Sep-2006 03:41Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies