SubscribeShrimp pellet fungus?
ImRandy85
---------------
Enthusiast
Bleeding Blue
Kudos: 137
Votes: 75
male usa
Sometimes if my cories don't get to their shrimp pellets in time the pellets get some kind of white growth around them. Is this some kind of fungus? Obviously this cannot be good for the tank so is there something I should do to get rid of any fungus that might already be in there? I think I'm gonna cut down on the frequency of feeding the pellets since this happens pretty often. Is there any specific ailments to the fish that I should watch out for as a result of this?
Post InfoPosted 27-Mar-2007 10:52Profile PM Edit Report 
mughal113
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 160
Votes: 64
male pakistan
Hi,

Rotting fish food provides a good medium for fungus to
grow on. Simply dont feed your fish more than what they can consume within a couple of minutes.

-Mughal
Post InfoPosted 27-Mar-2007 11:54Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
jasonpisani
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 7215
Votes: 1024
male malta
You can feed your fish & then remove the remaining food, or else start feeding less. You can remove anything by water changes, aswell.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/corydoras/
Member of the Malta Aquarist Society - 1970.
http://www.maltaaquarist.com
Post InfoPosted 27-Mar-2007 15:09Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
Food left long enough to fungus like that is probably adding ammonia to the water. If it doesn't lead to an ammonia spike it will cause higher nitrates. It also provides an area for excess bacteria to grow that could lead to fish illnesses. Best to remove any uneaten food promptly. cories generally eat everything off the bottom as quickly as possible and then go over it again so if you have some sitting around chances are your feeding too much. I'd back off a few pellets until they are finishing all the food before it has time to rot in the tank.
Post InfoPosted 27-Mar-2007 21:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ImRandy85
---------------
Enthusiast
Bleeding Blue
Kudos: 137
Votes: 75
male usa
EditedEdited by imrandy85
I think I'm gonna start feeding the pellets once a day and a smaller amount. The thing with the cories is that they don't find it and eat it right away so I can't really do the "eat what they can it a couple minutes" rule. Maybe if I start feeding them less they'll be more excited to get it right when it goes in the tank.
Post InfoPosted 27-Mar-2007 22:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Budzilla
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 197
Votes: 90
male usa
Yeah definantly get rid of left over pellets, I've had a Bronze cory get a fuungus from a shrimp pellet before.

-Vincent
Post InfoPosted 27-Mar-2007 22:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
east222
Small Fry
Kudos: 0
Votes: 0
male
I experienced the same condition. I have 6 Harlequin Rasboras and 2 cory cats about 1 1/4 inch long each cat. I was putting 3 shrimp pellets a day and I am now cutting back after reading this. Is 2 pellets per day the right amount for those 2 cats? My Rasboras are getting fin fungus and now i believe it is from the fungus growing on the left over shrimp.
Post InfoPosted 16-Jan-2015 14:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
DeletedPosted 19-Feb-2015 11:59
This post has been deleted
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies