L# Small Dorm Tank:
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeSmall Dorm Tank:
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 636
male usa us-california
Hi guys, I know I've been trying to be more active on here but time has been limited since i started college in August. A month or two ago i posted an add on craigslist asking for a free of cheap tank, my add was answered and a woman shipped me a small 1 maybe 1 and a half gallon tank about a week later. I WAS THRILLED.

I modified the tank a little, it was a cheap kit tank that was really cheesy looking so i took out the pseudo UGF and cut the opaque lid so i just got a rim around the tank so i could add a light. I got a desk lamp and a CFL 15 watt bulb for it but it gets plenty of sun in the window too. I used the air pump it had got a T valve and two air stones and buried them in the new gravel. I also got a little internal filter that should keep the water well circulated as well as adds a little more surface agitation.

Since then the tank has cycle with a few minnows and last week I got a betta and two small java ferns to go with them. Now i don't really care for the minnows and the betta can stay or go, I really want an interesting little tank but I do not want to go all inverts on this one.

I was thinking maybe two or three pea puffers? but if that wont work I'll probably order a dwarf hair grass and a few cherry shrimp.

I also would like to know the cleaning regimen you guys suggest. I am thinking of letting the algae grow and cover the back glass, because I dont really have time to find a decent background or paint it right now, plus whatever i add in there will end up munching on it (snails or shrimp or whatever).

I dont have any current pictures but I'll take some this week and upload them.

All input is well appreciated!
Thanks,
-Brandon

\\\\\\\"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of the cure\\\\\\\"
Post InfoPosted 15-Nov-2009 00:13Profile PM Edit Report 
hca
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 434
Votes: 211
female usa us-illinois
For a 1-1.5 gal tank- i'd say you are already overstocked.

1) Take the " minnows" back to where ever you got them from. You even said you didnt want them, and its to much for this tank.

2) since you already have the betta- KEEP him. Don't buy fish yu dont plan on keeping.

3) I really wouldnt put anything else in there except shrimp or a snail, and the betta could eat them. depends on the fish.

4) Even with filtration ect... tiny tanks are NOT stable. Even with a 10 g, there is NO room for errors.
On my 1.5 gal , I change a 2-3 cups of water DAILY. And it doesnt take very long at all. Its just a couple cups...
And fish and plants like fresh water!!

5) background- get some blue or black construcion paper,posterboard, or wrapping paper. Its cheap. or acrylic paint. You'll spend like 1-2.00 if you go to a dollar store or walmart.

6) decorations- get more plants. java moss, anubia nana petite, ect...
Post InfoPosted 15-Nov-2009 22:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
male usa us-california
Thanks for the feed back but the tank seems stable from my previous experience, although i dont have testing equipment so I can be exactly certain. I do know that I probably seem like a novice in my question so I will let you know this the betta and minnows are quite active and content. I topped off the water today and everything seems fine. To my 2-3 cups daily seems a little bit too much seeing as I have done maybe two water changes since I added the minnows and not one yet since I added the betta.

I do have another home for the betta if i find something else I like better and I know this is an extremely small tank with little room for error but I still would like a more interesting display in the tank. I am ordering some Flame and xmas moss this week and will probably pick up 1 or 2 more java ferns, I have a few little pieces of wood soaking to be put in the tank once they are water logged and eventually be covered in some moss, they aren't actual driftwood but a small sphere and cube of pine, which T have experience using in my tanks and it hasn't been a problem yet, however I have switched toward mopani for its ability to sink immediately in my other tanks at home.

This is my one allowed tank at school (1 gallon) versus my four at home (2 29 gallons, 1 15 gallon, 1 10 gallon, and a pond)... I was super deprived, now I know pushing the limits isn't advised but I dont want to do anything expensive but do want to do something fun and interesting... if that means daily changes then so be it but i want a tank i can actually admire and others can admire.

Thanks,
-Brandon

Post InfoPosted 16-Nov-2009 10:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
hca
-----
Fish Addict
female usa us-illinois
If your not testing the tank, How can you be sure its stable?? or even cycled?????

I'm not saying daily changes are needed, I said its how I maintain my 1.5, a lil every day. But I would recommend 20-30% atleast weekly.

I can somewhat "understand" wanting to push the limits of the tank, but that means more maintance, more water changes, heavily planted, and testing it often to make sure all is well. You really need to get a good liquid test kit... the strips arent the most reliable.

Just curious- but what kind of "minnows" are in there?

I'm not trying to "put you down" or anything So please dont take it that way...

If you want ideas on aquascaping- search the forums, someone posted a link not to long ago of drop dead beautiful tiny tanks.....

Post InfoPosted 16-Nov-2009 21:57Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
brandino

You are not a newbe to keeping fish but going to that very small tank is a total new experience. There is not even 1% allowed for any error it must be spot on at all times.

I had been playing with tanks for 35+years the smallest being a wide and deep 3ft tank, the biggest a 6ft.

The small Cardinal Tetra and CRS 45lt was the biggest challenge I had ever taken, over one year research multiple minor changes and finally it is set up it took about 4 years to develop into what I wanted but it is nothing like the original plan.

One Betta in that tank in my personal opinion is still too small any way. But its your choice.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 17-Nov-2009 05:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
male usa us-california
EditedEdited 18-Nov-2009 08:59
Thanks for the input. I know the tank is cycled because when i put the minnows in the next day there was a bacteria bloom. I assumed it was due to the fish waste being more than the bacteria could handle. From my past experience from cycling tanks with fish without equipment (and before i had the freedom to drive and get to a LFS for testing because I didnt have a license and was at the mercy of my parents). I waited two weeks for the water to clear and another week and a half before I bought the betta (roughly). I know the tank is cycled because the fish are content/active and not showing signs of stress.

I don't know the scientific name of the minnows and the store doesnt either because they are sold as feeder fish.

Keith, Thanks for the input, I know that small tanks are extremely unstable, and I know many more fish is pushing the limits, however I do want a tank that I will want to monitor and observe. I do think that this most likely will not be that tank for me, which is sad, but the truth. I am thinking that maybe a 5 gallon would suit my endeavors better but for now this is what I have to work with and I'd like to make the best of it while I can. Going with that what fast growing plants would be good for the tank? I was thinking a micro sword or hairgrass that will cover the bottom with a nice grassy look and maybe I will paint a little background to heighten the appearance. Although I am thinking that the betta would like the tank but I'd like to try some new inverts.

are there aother types of inverts other than snails and shrimp I could keep? any cray or etc? maybe that is a question callatya can weigh in on?

HCA, I plan on getting some kind of ground cover to fill up the tank and maybe a small piece of DW to cover in moss or attach some java fern or anubias on... still not sure. And fear not, I was't offended at all I was just making sure you knew where I was coming from. I will probably take the betta and minnows home when I head down for Thanksgiving (tangent: mmmmm cant wait for TURKEY DAY!), that will free up some space and then I'll bring up a small heater and a few cherry shrimp when I come back up to school. I didnt want to buy a heater up here when I have one at home to use. I understand the instability of the smaller tanks I just didn't want a boring tank but I think once the shrimp start breeding I shouldn't have a problem with enjoying it. Maybe I'll even broaden my invert horizons and get something that I haven't kept before?

So as it is my plans are still up in the air but thanks to you two for the input, I think my experience was starting to steer me wrong and head me down a dangerous path.

Thanks,
-Brandon

Post InfoPosted 18-Nov-2009 08:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
If the feeders are rosy reds, they are a breed of fathead minnow, Pimephales promelas.

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 19-Nov-2009 08:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
male usa us-california
They are not rosy reds but i do think they might be fat heads but still young. they have the same horizontal stripe as the fat heads. when i get a chance i will take a picture so you guys can help me id them.
-Brandon

Post InfoPosted 20-Nov-2009 05:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
male usa us-california
officially found out that they are fat heads. I removed the fat heads and the java ferns from the tank and put in two small wood peices (on a block and one a ball) covered in an unknown moss.

I used a container that used to hold a massive amount of animal cookies to create a second tank. I took gravel and the filter from the other tank and put it in the new tank as well as the two java ferns and the minnows. My plan is to take this home with me over the thanksgiving holiday so that the fish are well cared for and bring it back up. this is a little over a gallon and a half. I plan on leaving the minnows at home either in a tank or toss them in my parents pond.

I do plan on getting some other fish to bring back up and was just wondering what would work in these two tanks. I am not sure if I'll be bringing the betta back up or leaving it at home with a sibling or in one of my other tanks.

Feedback appreciated. I will be leaving on tuesday night around 8pm Pacific time so anything you can tell me would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
-Brandon

Post InfoPosted 23-Nov-2009 05:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
hca
-----
Fish Addict
female usa us-illinois
1st- the flatheads- I'd be worried about dumping them in a pond at this time of year, as they havent had time to acclimate to the changing seasons, Depending on where you are in the USA, I'd wait till late spring.

2nd- If the container is plastic, and not glass- I'd be worried about containaments, and IMO wouldnt use it for a tank. But thats my opinion.

3rd- I'd leave the betta in ONE, and wouldnt do much witht he other except shrimp. 1-1.5's are really suitable for much else.

Why dont you look for a 10-15 gal? it is still small enough to sit on a night stand, but would give you many more options. Even if the rules say its to big, most probably wouldnt know the diff between a 5 and a 10 anyway.
Post InfoPosted 23-Nov-2009 21:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
male usa us-california
HCA, I'm in southern California, so the pond is still a decent temperature and they aren't in a heated tank anyways plus I'm sure they'd like a little more swimming room!

The container is FOOD GRADE because it had food (organic animal crackers) in it so I don't think it cant be that dangerous but I do understand the possibilities of plasticines and other harmful/toxic chemicals into the water. I did clean it out well with a light detergent and HOT water and then rinsed with LOTS or water. Maybe this container would be better suited for another type of pet...?

I do have a 10 gallon tank at home that I am considering bringing up with me when I return from the Christmas break (not much point in having it here for three weeks and having to take it back home for another three then bringing it back). We are allowed to have up to a 5 gallon I believe but I am considering getting or finding a bigger tank somewhere on like craigslist for cheaper or asking my roommate to go halfsies on one, which i highly unlikely but worth a try.

Other than that I think I'll take the minnows home and bring up a few shrimp and figure the rest out after the holidays when I hopefully have a little more money or get a few fishy gifts to aid in my endeavors.

Thanks,
-Brandon

Post InfoPosted 23-Nov-2009 21:41Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
hca
-----
Fish Addict
female usa us-illinois
Yes I agree the minnows would appreciate more room, Just didnt know where you were- even in an unheated tank indoors, its a huge change from a pond in say possibly the north. Few places in the us are winter friendly.

I understand its food grade- But didnt know its history...

if it was ME, I'd sneak the 10 gal in after xmas break....
Post InfoPosted 23-Nov-2009 21:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
male usa us-california
True, yeah I could have sworn i had a little California flag under my name but even still northern CA is still not winter friendly for fish...
Yeah the container should be fine it hasnt had anything else in it other than those cookies and it was made for the intended purpose of those Organic cookies so I'd only assume it to be plenty safe but thanks for checking!

I think I'll try to sneak a slightly bigger tank in so maybe I can have a few more interesting fish? I think even a long 20 gallon tank should be ok... they don't check our rooms and my roommate has had a bearded dragon in here for about 2 months (which is FAR against the rules), the RA doesnt care its just the Director that might have a few beefs with us stretching the rules whats the worse that can happen? they tell me I have to take it home? OH WELL!

Well I'll see what kind of sales I can hit up or materials I can find on craigslist/etc so I can save a few bucks within my struggling student budget

Thanks,
-Brandon

Post InfoPosted 23-Nov-2009 22:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
hca
-----
Fish Addict
female usa us-illinois
Yeah, I'd stretch the rules and sneak in whatever you think you can get away with... its the only way your really going to get something intresting....
I lived on the south texas coast for sev years- winter wasnt an issue there, but for most of the country, including here in IL, this isnt the time to put fish out in the pond that have been indoors at room temp...
Your container should be fine for a betta or shrimp
Post InfoPosted 24-Nov-2009 00:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
brandeeno

-----
Mega Fish
male usa us-california
Last Night I brought the Minnows and the betta home. They all made it fine and after just dumping them in one of my 29g's they are doing fine almost a day later. Not sure If I'll take the betta back up to school or not at this point... although they are pretty cheap so I think i'll leave this one here and just get another one later if i decide to get one to keep at school. At this point its not really worth working on the small tanks until after Xmas break because I have a week and a half until finals and then mandatory shut down of campus so I cant leave a tank at all over there. I'm considering taking up one of my 29 gallon tanks with me and just stocking it lightly, I'm just worried about structural support of the furniture that It would go on... maybe half full and get some cool immersed plants growing? well I have a while to decide. . . maybe a new topic thread for that...

Thanks for the help guys... I know I'm not that easy to help and HAPPY THANKSGIVING to those of you in the US!!!

Post InfoPosted 26-Nov-2009 02:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies