L# General Freshwater
  L# Snails??
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeSnails??
zeketaz
Hobbyist
Kudos: 78
Votes: 1
I bought some new plants a couple weeks ago and they had passengers and i guess i didn't rinse them off well enough. My question is I currently see 3 snails in my tank. I don't really want any so should i remove the ones in there now so I don't get overloaded by them. I might just keep one so it can clean the sides of my tank, or will just one keep multiplying?

If my question doesn't make since I'm sorry it's early and I can try to reword it. lol
Post InfoPosted 16-Jan-2010 13:56Profile PM Edit Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
Kudos: 217
Votes: 471
female usa us-michigan
Most likely, you've gotten the common pest/pond snail. Check the profiles to see if it matches. Remove them as soon as you notice one, unless you want to have multitudes. I don't mind them, since my yo-yo's love slurping 'em out the shell.

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 16-Jan-2010 20:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
zeketaz
Hobbyist
I can't tell quite yet what they look like, they're still translucent. If they are the pond snails I for sure don't want even one of those. I didn't think they could reproduce on their own but their profile says they can.
Post InfoPosted 17-Jan-2010 02:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Shinigami

---------------
---------------
---------------
Ichthyophile
Catfish/Oddball Fan
Kudos: 2915
male usa us-delaware
It's either none or dozens, there is no just having one of these snails. If you don't want them you should get rid of them now while you can count how many there are, otherwise soon there will be too many to count!

--------------------------------------------
The aquarist is one who must learn the ways of the biologist, the chemist, and the veterinarian.
Post InfoPosted 17-Jan-2010 04:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
zeketaz
Hobbyist
Ok so I took out all the ones I saw. Is there a snail out there that stays small but doesn't multiply like the pond snails? They were doing a good job at cleaning the algae off the glass lol.
Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2010 14:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
Kudos: 217
Votes: 471
female usa us-michigan
depends on what you call "small". As far as I know, they all multiply like the dickens. MTS is a great snail. It has a pretty cone spiral, but it is a live bearer. You can usually find them at any of the chain stores that carry fish. They consider it a pest and will gladly give them to you for free. You can also purchase apple/mystery snails. They are not small but they are also pretty to look at. They have to have a counterpart to lay eggs and they lay out of water. So you have to leave room at the top of the tank for them to come out of the water. They prefer to lay on stalks, but will lay on the glass if they have to. If you have any loaches beware. They love to eat any invert, and that includes snails.

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 20-Jan-2010 14:32Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
winner2010
Small Fry
Kudos: 0
Votes: 0
female belarus ca-novascotia
EditedEdited 21-May-2010 23:51
If you're referring to small problem snails that often 'hitch a ride' on live plants:
Depending on the size of the snails, I assume some invertebrates may be willing to eat the snails or their eggs, depending on how hungry they are. A type of fish that will eat these problem snails is the clown loach. These fish are both useful and fun to keep.

If you aren't referring to what has been stated above, then please specify.
Best of luck, hope I was a help!
==================

Post InfoPosted 21-May-2010 08:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
ScottF
---------------
Fish Addict
Addiction Hurts!!
Kudos: 330
Votes: 355
male usa
I've had several hitchhiking snails come in on plants. It happens even when I take the time to thoroughly rinse them well. So, I pick them out when I see them. Loaches have never done well in my water so that hasn't been an option.

As far as a fun snail to have around, I have had success with Gold Mystery Snails. The one we have now "Gary" (of Spongebob fame, yes) is very active, all over the tank and fun to watch. He lives in my 8 yr old son's 10 gallon with a Betta and 6 Pristella Tetras. The tank is planted as well.
Post InfoPosted 23-May-2010 14:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies