L# Stock list for a 10 gallon
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeStock list for a 10 gallon
reun
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 216
male usa
I have a fully cycled 10 gallon tank(been running for one year) with one filter that doubles as a powerjet running 55GPH and a over the back filter running 200GPH. Water is slightly hard, PH 6.8, temperature 76 degrees. I do a 30% water change on it every week, and nitrates are below 5ppm.

So, if i step up the water changes to 25% twice a week, can I add from my stock of a bumblecat and a DG some ember tetras?

Proposed stock list:

1 Sunset Dwarf Gourami (full grown, 2.5"
1 South American Bumblebee Catfish(full grown,2.25" bottom feeder)
5 Ember Tetras(proposed additions, they stay under one inch and are readily available)

it would be under the inch per gallon stock rule, although the gourami is big, but I am wondering if steady water changes and over filtration will cure it.
Post InfoPosted 07-Apr-2007 23:11Profile PM Edit Report 
RNJ_Punk
---------------
Big Fish
Cory Fanatic
Kudos: 114
Votes: 137
male usa
It seems like a good stock...but I would get another opinion as I once needed help with my stocking to lol
Anyway....loose the "inch per gallon rule" it is terrible...would you keep a 12 inch oscar in a 12 gallon tank...I think not!

Good luck with the stocking...sounds like it will be fine!
Post InfoPosted 07-Apr-2007 23:47Profile AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
Budzilla
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 197
Votes: 90
male usa
I think it would be fine because embers are very tiny, but the only issue i see is the DG maybe bullying the embers, I would make sure their are many hiding spots then.

-Vincent
Post InfoPosted 07-Apr-2007 23:59Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
reun
-----
Big Fish
male usa
EditedEdited by Reun
i just added some floating plants and a few more hiding spots...this is a picture BEFORE the added plants:

http://home.comcast.net/~fitzworld/ten.JPG

I added some more vegitation. also, the DG I have in the tank is actually peacefull to small fish, he was in my community tank untill he started bullying my bolivian ram. he is agressive but I have never seen him take so much as a little pass at any fish smaller than himself.

EDIT: I am not so much worried about them getting along, I dont think that will be the problem...what I am concerned with is it may be too much for my tank to handle nitrate wise.
Post InfoPosted 08-Apr-2007 01:23Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Budzilla
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
Nitrate wise a few ember tetras would not make much of a difference they have a small bio-load.

-Vincent
Post InfoPosted 08-Apr-2007 05:01Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
reun
-----
Big Fish
male usa
thanks for the input...i still dont know alot about what fish are messy...are gouramis messy fish?

I know my bumblecat is clean, i clean under his rocks every couple weeks and no poo under them, he seems pretty clean.

well, i would be under the inch per gallon rule, and i know tetras dont normally produce alot of waste ( i have never once in two years seen one of my lemon tetras poo), and embers stay under a inch long...so i figured 5 of them wouldnt be too much, but wanted to get other opinions.
Post InfoPosted 08-Apr-2007 05:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Budzilla
-----
Enthusiast
male usa
not necessarily messy but they are fish that are built heavily so they produce an decent amount of waste, but i wouldn't consider it a messy fish

-Vincent
Post InfoPosted 08-Apr-2007 06:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
RNJ_Punk
---------------
Big Fish
Cory Fanatic
Kudos: 114
Votes: 137
male usa
EditedEdited by Platy_Punk
Like I said above you really need to forget about the inch per gallon rule...it is not a good guidline.
Post InfoPosted 08-Apr-2007 21:24Profile AIM Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
pizpot
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 82
Votes: 1
male canada
EditedEdited by pizpot
I know fairly little about keeping these, but isn't this cute? (or scared yes)

Attached Image:
Post InfoPosted 09-Apr-2007 06:06Profile ICQ PM Edit Delete Report 
GobyFan2007
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 363
Votes: 65
male usa
Just asking, what does that thing have to do with the forum?..............

The DG is Probably Ok i would say, and since you'll jave a nice little shoal of tetras, he probably wont bother. How much vegitation is there? What plants are they? That seems like a survivor tank!

Good Luck

><> ~=!Vote Today!=~ <><
-----> View My Dragons <-----
Post InfoPosted 09-Apr-2007 08:13Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
pizpot
----------
Big Fish
Kudos: 82
Votes: 1
male canada
absolutely nothing, you are right. If I was moderator I would delete it but it already has a reply. doh
Post InfoPosted 09-Apr-2007 15:00Profile ICQ PM Edit Delete Report 
divertran
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 469
Votes: 165
male usa
EditedEdited by divertran
Well, I've always harped against DG's in a ten. my pair just did not do well, and they were the sole inhabitants at the time. Perhaps they were already compromised. I just think they are way too e to maladies to be in a 10g. I did 30% to 40% water changes twice a week. However, If your below 5 ppm (commendable, btw) then I think yo may add more with minimal disruption.
Post InfoPosted 09-Apr-2007 21:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
reun
-----
Big Fish
male usa
EditedEdited by Reun
well, keep in mind the bumblebee catfish is the tidiest little bottom feeder i have seen, he keeps the rocks cleaner that my school of corys did, and he doesnt seem to poo alot. that is prolly why my nitrates are so low. the gourami is a bigger fish and he seems to poo alot more than my tetras do, so I imagine a pair would create a fair amount of mess for a 10 gallon.

Also, I doubt there is enough swimming space for a pair of DG's in a 10. They tend to be territorial, and I doubt they would be happy in a ten...heck, i doubt a pair would be happy in anything less than a 29 gallon.

I have been monitering my nitrates very closely the last few days, and so far no change. If my ph stays a little lower (added some driftwood to help keep it stable), and my nitrate level stays nice and low, I will add 5 ember tetras.

As far as plants go, there is some java moss in the tank, the rest is all fake. I will add some more plants as they tend to help keep ammonia under control and help balance the minature ecosystem.

EDIT: The last couple days I have had no measurable ammonia on the test kit I have...it has been a little over a week since I added the second powerjet/filter, so, if this keeps up, i am not going to hesitate adding a few small 1" tetras.
Post InfoPosted 09-Apr-2007 22:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies