Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeStocking Question
haRg0wbOi
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 84
Votes: 8
male usa
i have a 29-gallon with 10 lemon tetras, 2 pictus catfish, 1 dwarf frog, 1 betta, and panaque maccus? im wondering if i can add any more fish.

i also have 5 gallon hex. in it i have 1 honey dwarf gourami, 2 amano shrimp, 2 honeycomb tatia, and 3 ottos. is it overstocked?
Post InfoPosted 14-Mar-2007 01:12Profile PM Edit Report 
GobyFan2007
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 363
Votes: 65
male usa
Im guessing that five gallon is overstocked, because since it is a hex, i have been told that hexs cant hold as much fish as a regular five gallon. Anyway, the shrimp(s) are fine, but you have 6 more fish to deal with, thats over 3x the bioload, and the inhabitants will die off....

As for the 29 gallon, the sotcking is snug and tight, but not dangerous. I dont suggest you add anymore fish, unless you have plants, a strong filter, and maybe airstones. I also wonder if they get along well? Just get a ten gallon($8 us dollars) and put some fish in there(the betta dislikes strong current, so i advise you to not keep it in the 29.

><> ~=!Vote Today!=~ <><
-----> View My Dragons <-----
Post InfoPosted 14-Mar-2007 01:36Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
haRg0wbOi
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
ive had the hex set up for about a month now and i think it hasnt had a waterchange yet. im in the process of doing it right now.

the 29 gets a 20% waterchange weekly. it might be overfiltered with 2 fluval 200s and 1 aq 20? i know i have enough decors and swimming area.

the betta is really lazy and likes to lay on the bottom of the tank or in the plants. he doesnt have any problems with the other fishies. my tetras are only active during feeding time and are violent towards each other. the pictus catfishes, panaque, and frog are always hiding. ocassionly the catfishes would come out and swim around all crazy. i dont know whats wrong with my tank, i was hoping that if i add more fishes, the tetras would stop nippin each other and that the other inhabitants would come out more.
Post InfoPosted 14-Mar-2007 01:56Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
Pictus get rather large. The lemons might actually be in danger of becoming snacks in the future. The only thing I might add is more of the panaque maccus. Provided they are actually that species since I've seen them mixed up frequently with 2-3 other species. They are small plecos so several will fit in the bottom of the tank fine and they seem much more active with several around. I have somewhere around 8(I lost count) in my 55g and I can always count at least 4 usually 6 out in the open. Also they require wood to chew on. You need at least 1 piece of driftwood and preferably various types for them. Adding more fish will not make the lemons less nippy. So long as they aren't injuring each other or other fish then it's just normal behavior. To get the other fish out more the best solution is more decorations. Driftwood, rocks, plants even if they are fake will all help. Fish actually come out more the more hiding places they have because they feel safer. However pictus are nocturnal. They will not come out as much during the day. If you put a blue light or led lights on the tank you can watch them in the evening but don't leave any lights on all night. Plecos also tend to come out more in the evening and at night.

The 5g you could possibly add another honey gourami and even have a breeding pair provided they don't bother the tatia. I would not add another species of fish to the tank since finding something that was certain to be compatible and small enough would probably be difficult.
Post InfoPosted 14-Mar-2007 02:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
haRg0wbOi
-----
Hobbyist
male usa
EditedEdited by haRg0wbOi
thanks for all the helpful advice. im thinking about giving my pictuses and panaque to my cousin who has had her tank cycled for over a week now and doesnt even have one fish in it. do you think theyll live happily in a 20 gallon long?
Post InfoPosted 14-Mar-2007 23:29Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
No. The pictus require a 29-30g just for one of them. 1 is probably too active for anything less and 2 of them in less than at least a 55g may eventually kill each other. They definitely will fight in a 20g.
Post InfoPosted 14-Mar-2007 23:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies