Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeStocking a 60 gal. freshwater
mrsmonty
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 58
Votes: 33
female canada
Hello everyone!!! Wow I haven't been on here in over 2 years!! Very excited to get back into the swing of things! So here I am once again, asking for people's opinions on how I should stock it.
I have a 60 gal. (4 feet long, two feet high, 1 foot wide). I will need a new filter as well as some new lights, so I thought it would be good timing to maybe start with live plants since I need to replace my bulbs either way!
I'd love ideas on keeping the aquarium lively, vibrant and beautiful! It will be the first thing people see when they come into our basement.
I'd like schooling fish, as long as they're compatible with my step-daughters betta that will be going into it! I've already once been recommended discus. I've never had them, but am open to it.. just want people's opinions!!
Thank you so much in advance!!!
Post InfoPosted 17-Nov-2010 00:40Profile PM Edit Report 
mrsmonty
-----
Hobbyist
female canada
EditedEdited 17-Nov-2010 00:44
I forgot to mention my aquascaping. Now I have one big piece of driftwood, and alot of slate as well as some light brown/white bigger gravel. I am open to aquascaping ideas as well!!! I feel so out of it LOL

I also have a pleco.. I've had him 5 years I believe!!
Post InfoPosted 17-Nov-2010 00:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
welcome back!

IMO bettas don't really do well in community tanks. It's mainly a fin thing, they go after guppies, barbs go after them. Luckily bettas don't need all that much space to themselves. Maybe get a small 1 gallon tank for her? She can add some plants to it as any you have in your tank need to be trimmed back. A few small java fern babies in there will look nice. Might find one at a second hand store (be sure to check that it holds water before adding him!)

I'm a big fan of smaller barbs, rasboras, loaches, the asian fish. To me they're a lot more active than the south americans like angels and neons less territorial than many of the cichlids.

How much light do you have on the tank?

I'd say have a look around your LFS for what catches your eye then come back here and check up on its profile. Maybe see if there are any clubs in your area. We've got one doing an auction this weekend and it's a good source for much cheaper fish from local breeders.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 17-Nov-2010 05:19Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
mrsmonty
-----
Hobbyist
female canada
Thank you so much for your reply!! I went to a LFS today, and he started talking me into a saltwater tank... so now I'm thinking about that... hmmm... I was looking at two clown fish, as well as a few of the "plant" animals.. I have to buy a new pump and lights either way, since mine aren't working all that well... he said he was going to talk me into an under gravel pump as well... so I'll research it a little more!!!
Post InfoPosted 18-Nov-2010 01:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Ya have a chat over in general marine before you step over to the dark side. We've got some very knowledgeable salties over there .

^_^

Post InfoPosted 18-Nov-2010 07:25Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
mrsmonty
-----
Hobbyist
female canada
Thank you very much!! Will do!!!
Post InfoPosted 18-Nov-2010 16:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
SusanFish

Small Fry
Kudos: 0
Votes: 0
female slovakia
I always wanted a shoal of blue rams....
And about bettas, they maybe do not need much space, I dont know, I rather give fish lot of space, but when we had a betta male and a betta female alone (I do not mention plecos, because they live on the bottom) in a big tank, they were never as happy as then and we had a lot of babies :-)
Post InfoPosted 01-Mar-2011 12:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies