Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeStocking list.
im-trying
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 53
Votes: 0
(please read it i need some advice)

Righty well my fluval filter failed and broke so ive now cycled a rena xp3....with most of my fish in the tank i managed to rehome my angels and rams but my 3 gourami ,2 keyhole cichlids ,6 cory cats ,dojo loach, BN plec all managed survive somehow its insane by all rights they should be dead i had ammonia readings that were black but frantic water changes and stuff and they all survived.

That was a month ago now, the new filter cycled in about a week and a half - 2 weeks, an lfs helped me out and gave me dirty water and dirty gravel from one of his tanks which really boosted things . Ive just got my rams back today and the i got the angels back on saturday had to do things a bit quicker than i normaly would because the persons tank they were in was getting changed around and they had been there a month so i felt a bit cheeky really. So they are back the filter took no hit when the angels went in and the rams are doing good.

The only bad news at the moment is that im having to rehome 2 of my gourami (blue opeline) i orignaly thought I had one male blue one and a female blue and a female gold but i have all males now they have matured a little more. The fighting is getting a bit to rediculous so Ive chosen to take the blue ones to a pet shop because they are the worst fighters and they started on the most placid fish in the tank my dojo loach so i think its for the best.

Anyways on to what the question is about.

The tank is a 55 UK gallon tank (65US gallon) It has a rena XP3 running and a UV steriliser a lot of big plants in the tank at the sides. And I do weekly water changes with gravel vacs.

Do you think that this stocking will be okay? (THE FISH WITH AN X ARE ALLREADY IN THE TANK)

2 Angel fish x
1 gold gourami x
2 long finned rams x
2 keyhole cichlids x
2 red rainbow fishes (possibly be adding to this)
5 neon dwarf rainbow fishes
5 congo tetras
8 cory cats (6)x
1 dojo loach x
1 BN plec x
1 synodontis eupterus

I would also like to put in an african butterfly fish or two? But i know very little about them and ive tried reading about them but all sorts of web sites say different things so i cant get a definitive answer my overall impresion is that they are not suitable for commuity but info would be useful because I would like to get some in the future

Also any fish added to the tank will be put in at least 2 weeks between so the next to go in will be 2 weeks today....well 2 weeks on saturday ¬.¬ ...stupid college

thankyou for reading this far and sorry for writing so much
Post InfoPosted 12-Apr-2007 18:27Profile PM Edit Report 
So_Very_Sneaky
---------------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2272
Votes: 201
female canada
Hi there,
Id leave out the Syno Eupterus. They really get a big big for your tank. Eupterus grow up to 8 to 10 inches.
They are peaceful but I personally think they need at least 75g. Instead, I would add another dojo loach or two, these are very social companionable fish. It would really appreciate a friend.
I would also choose 1 of the 2 kinds of rainbows and go with only that.
Aside from that all looks good.

Come Play Yahtzee With Me!
http://games.atari.com
Http://www.myleague.com/yahtgames
Post InfoPosted 12-Apr-2007 21:09Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
So_Very_Sneaky
---------------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2272
Votes: 201
female canada
Hi there,
Id leave out the Syno Eupterus. They really get a big big for your tank. Eupterus grow up to 8 to 10 inches.
They are peaceful but I personally think they need at least 75g. Instead, I would add another dojo loach or two, these are very social companionable fish. It would really appreciate a friend.
I would also choose 1 of the 2 kinds of rainbows and go with only that.
Aside from that all looks good.

Come Play Yahtzee With Me!
http://games.atari.com
Http://www.myleague.com/yahtgames
Post InfoPosted 12-Apr-2007 21:09Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
im-trying
-----
Hobbyist
EditedEdited by im-trying
thank you so very sneaky

I only said about the dwarf neons as a little extra to see what people say and you said what i thought.

I really like synodontis catfish but the size thing worried me as well. I will be getting a bigger tank in 1-2 years when i move out. Would one be okay in the tank now and move it as i go? or do they grow to fast?

Anyone know any smaller synodontis catfish? Ive tried looking on websites but cant find small ones, im looking for one about 4-5 inches i think really 6 max

I've been wondering wether or not to get the dojo some buddies but he is blind so im not sure how he would cope with the extra competition for food. Do you think this would effect him?
Post InfoPosted 12-Apr-2007 21:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Ethan14
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 339
Votes: 18
male usa
In a tank with so many fast fish your dojo loach might have trouble getting food anyway. Do you hand feed him or something?

As for synos check out pictus cats, Synodontis Multipunctatus, and upside down catfish.

Keep in mind top dweller aggression. Fish like angels can be aggressive to other top dwellers like gouramis and african butterfly fish. In a tank that large I think the angel's would be fine with the gourami but I'm not so sure about the butterfly fish.
Post InfoPosted 12-Apr-2007 22:25Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
im-trying
-----
Hobbyist
Yeah im thinking that the gouramis are going to have to go. And the african buterfly fish is a no no anyways thanks for the help guys

And for the dojo loach i put in catfish pellets and drop them down around him while the other fish are distracted by the flakes or blood worms etc he does fine finding them in the gravel
Post InfoPosted 13-Apr-2007 00:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies