L# Tank Babysitting
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeTank Babysitting
kj fishy-finn
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 200
female usa
I'm leaving the country in a few days to go to Australia for study abroad. I'm leaving the care of my 20 gallon tank in the hands of my family. I'm going to show them how to clean it and map out an entire maintenance schedule for them to follow. I'm planning on them doing a water change every other week and then topping it off and scrubbing any algae of sides every other week opposite water changes.

My mother suggested that I just take all my fish back to the LFS, but I just managed to acquire 3 new fish in last few months and would hate to part with them. My big concern is whether my tank may be a bit overstocked currently. I have a Blue Ram pair, 1 Bristlenose Pleco (these 3 I would hate to see go) and 8 Harlequin Rasboras that I wouldn't hate to see go as much as the other 3 even though I have had them for a couple years now. As nerdy as it is, they all have names and are part of the family. But if it means that the tank may stay a little cleaner etc between water changes than I would possibly be willing to let them go in order for the tank to have a better chance of survival during my absence. They are also much cheaper to replace if I had to.

Any comments or opinions on what I should do would be greatly appreciated!

kj fishy-finn <*)))><
20 Gallon Album
5 Gallon Album
Post InfoPosted 28-Jan-2011 23:02Profile PM Edit Report 
Lindy

---------------
----------
Administrator
Show me the Shishies!
Kudos: 1350
Votes: 730
female australia au-victoria
I think the tank is okay for someone who is experienced in fishkeeping. For someone who is not it may be too many fish!
My biggest concern would be them over feeding the tank and not realising it until too late. I have heard many disaster stories!
How long are you going to be away for? Unless you are confident in their abilities I would be inclined to take the fish to a store and start again when you get back.
Where in Australia are you going to be based, and studying what? Hope you have fun!

Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Post InfoPosted 30-Jan-2011 10:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
kj fishy-finn
-----
Big Fish
female usa
They are not experienced in fishkeeping, but all I'm expecting them to do is feed them and do water changes every other week. I wouldn't think it would be too difficult. I usually write them out a feeding schedule for every other day to cut down on food waste when I am up at school and come down every other week or once every three weeks.

I will be in Townsville at James Cook. I'm a major in Zoology at my home university so I will be taking some of their marine bio, aquaculture and photography classes there.

kj fishy-finn <*)))><
20 Gallon Album
5 Gallon Album
Post InfoPosted 31-Jan-2011 15:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
EditedEdited 01-Feb-2011 05:37
It can be risky leaving a tank long term in the care of someone that doesn't know.

I know you don't have the time since it's a few days but make sure you go over everything. How to do water changes (make sure they know to use dechlor if they need to), how to clean the filter all that sort of thing.

Luckily Australia isn't the other side of the world-err oh wait it is, but make sure they know how to contact you right away should something go wrong (ie ich). Less frequent feedings are good.

Hope you get to spend plenty of time on the reef. We have a massive cyclone headed right towards Cairns at the moment.

In other matters, I suggest buying a bottle of melatonin at the drug store before you fly, it can help you with the first few days of fighting the jet lag (you'll wake up at 2am and not be able to get back to sleep). Also, grab some ear plugs for the plane if you don't have noise canceling headphones . Hope you're flying Qantas because united and the other carriers have very little leg room by comparison. If you are flying Qantas look for the dual plug adapter for headphones if you're bringing your own. It'll look like this. Compression socks or tights can help prevent swelling of your feet and ankles (had one flight where I could hardly walk after my DC->brisbane flight). Check customs information on stuff you're planning on bringing, australia is really strict.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 01-Feb-2011 05:31Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
kj fishy-finn
-----
Big Fish
female usa
If I were to take all my fish back to my LFS, then what would I do with my empty tank?

I also have one live plant left that I would really not like to let go of. Is there any way I could keep it in a bowl or something so that it is easy for my family to take care of?

kj fishy-finn <*)))><
20 Gallon Album
5 Gallon Album
Post InfoPosted 02-Feb-2011 00:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Depends on the plant.

Not sure how long plants can go without a food source themselves. It might do ok in a bowl if the fam gives it a tiny (make sure they understand tiny) pinch of flake once a week.

Cutting down on your stock list some might be a good option. Take those that you might be able to say goodbye to to the lfs, or maybe someone in the area will adopt.

The less in the tank the more likely it is to remain stable.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 02-Feb-2011 00:18Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
kj fishy-finn
-----
Big Fish
female usa
One of the 3 fish I wasn't going to part with died today and the Blue Ram pair I have wanted to get forever I only bought several months ago. But I started thinking that maybe it would be better if I just emptied it and started it back up in July when I get back. I was thinking about moving it up to school with me since I will be in a house or apartment next year.

If I do take in my fish, what should I do about the filter, water and gravel?

The plant is a Cryptocoryne becketti, it that helps.

kj fishy-finn <*)))><
20 Gallon Album
5 Gallon Album
Post InfoPosted 02-Feb-2011 00:22Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
That's really too bad

Hmmm I've only had crypts once, and that was a struggle when I first bought them. They tend to melt when transplanted so I don't know how well it would do if you moved it.

If you do decide to start over, you should drain everything before leaving and let it dry fully. Then the gravel can be packed away in your water change bucket, place a plastic bag or lid over the top to keep dust bugs and anything else out of it. The filter once it's dry can be put in the dry tank or ontop of the gravel in teh bucket. You'll have to cycle the tank once you're back and ready to start it up again.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 02-Feb-2011 00:30Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
kj fishy-finn
-----
Big Fish
female usa
EditedEdited 02-Feb-2011 00:44
Couldn't I just drain it down to the level of the gravel? I don't really have a lot of time left to be there and make sure everything drys out.

If I did move the Crypt I could put it with gravel from tank and water too and maybe that would give it a better chance...

Maybe it would be better to just start new and finally start towards my goal of a planted tank which I have tried and failed so far. Start it over like its a new tank!

It would be one less thing to worry about when I am halfway around the world...

kj fishy-finn <*)))><
20 Gallon Album
5 Gallon Album
Post InfoPosted 02-Feb-2011 00:35Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
FRANK

---------------
---------------
Kudos: 5263
Votes: 1690
male usa us-colorado
EditedEdited 02-Feb-2011 01:52
Hi,
I suspect that if you drain the tank down to the
gravel and walk away, someone fairly soon will let you
know that it smells like a septic tank where ever you
have it stored.

What really needs to be done is that you drain the tank
and scoop the gravel out onto some surface that would be
unaffected by water, and leave it to air out and dry.

Frank

-->>> The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals <<<--
Post InfoPosted 02-Feb-2011 01:52Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
kj fishy-finn
-----
Big Fish
female usa
I have less than a day left until I leave the country at this point. Maybe I will just stick to my original plan and hope for the best...

kj fishy-finn <*)))><
20 Gallon Album
5 Gallon Album
Post InfoPosted 02-Feb-2011 05:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
rachard1583
Small Fry
Kudos: 0
Votes: 0
EditedEdited 10-Apr-2011 07:12
When setting up the aquarium it is best not to pay for additives to help spawn biological filtration. These bacterial starter cultures are not mandatory for a successful fish tank

[URL=http://www.fancycoupons.com]fancycoupons[/URL]
Post InfoPosted 10-Apr-2011 07:11Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies