Votes: 1
male
setting up a 55 gallon planted tank.

residents for sure:

3 yo yo loaches
5 peppered corys
1 True SAE

residents who may move: 2 3 spot gouramis

Now I am not sure if i just want to keep everyone as they are and just add some more yo yos ( i got lucky finding the 3 i have though).

what would you put in with yo yos and cories in a 55. Peaceful is good and I do like oddballs. Not really fond of tetras. Be creative! I like these kind of post and am exicted to set up this tank!
Post InfoPosted 24-Jan-2007 10:14Profile AIM PM Edit Report 
jbe0404
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 47
Votes: 70
male usa
exu,

I'd up the number of peppered cories to 8 since it is a 55 gal. What kinds of fish do you like? Do you want a large school of something, or do you want a centerpiece fish of some kind? Let us know and maybe we can tailor our suggestions to that.

JBE
Post InfoPosted 24-Jan-2007 16:50Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
exu
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 43
male
I agree been thinking upping my corys would be a good idea and peppered corys are pretty easy to find here.

I would consider a school or something, but probably prefer a centerpiece fish (pair).

What about upside down catfish? I do kind of like the oddballs.

thanks!
Post InfoPosted 24-Jan-2007 19:29Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
katieb
-----
Fish Addict
Votes: 69
female usa
Dwar cichlids are always a nice addition imho.

Apistos, rams, keyholes are all species that would do well.

I'll do graffiti,
If you sing to me in French.
Post InfoPosted 24-Jan-2007 19:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
exu
-----
Hobbyist
male
I have a 20 Gallon with a pair of Bolivian Rams. I like them very much.
Post InfoPosted 24-Jan-2007 19:52Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
So_Very_Sneaky
---------------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2272
Votes: 201
female canada
Hi there,
I have a few fish suggestions for fi sh that are
peaceful, good looking or interesting.

You could definitely increase the pepper corys,
and I think you will find 3 yoyos is an active
bundle of energy by themselves, though there is no
reason why you couldnt add a couple more if you wanted to.

USD Cats would do fine to - they can be kept singly, or in small groups, up to you. They need wood or cave overhangs to hide in.

Also, SAE are schoolers too, so you would probably want to add at least 1 more. They do appreciate the company.

Now for my suggestions:

Keyhole Cichlids - these gorgeous, about 4 inch long south american cichlids are peaceful (bordering on timid), and are amazing fish, they can change colours like a chameleon does, and have all kinds of interesting social behaviour.
Being slightly larger than the other dwarf cichlids, they provide more of a presence in the larger tank. These are mid water level fish.

Festivum - another super peaceful s.a. cichlid, the festivum is larger - up to about 6-8 inches (smaller being more common), and should be kept in a pair. Do not keep these fish with NEONS, thats their natural food in the wild. Again, a nice larger fish with more impact for a
larger tank. These are upper water level fish, and like floating surface plants or wood overhangs.

Firemouth - if you wanted to go with a semi-aggressive peaceful community, this would be a great fish. These guys reach about 5 inches, and can be kept in pairs or singly. Pairs may cause havoc for other fish as they exhibit typical cichlid pair behaviour while breeding. A single male often makes a fabulous centerpeice for the semi - aggressive/peaceful community.

Rainbowfish - if you went semi-aggressive (the yoyos are semi-aggressive so would fit right in), rainbowfish are a nice size schooling fish that come in pretty much any colour you might like. Irian reds, turqoise blues, boesmani, are all very nice rainbows that acheive about 4-6 inches in size. Prefer groups of 6.
If you went totally peaceful, with smaller fish - then smaller rainbows like dwarf neon (praecox) or threadfin, or celebes, rainbows are all very colourful and gorgeous- the threadfins and celebes having very unique finnage compared to most other fish.

So, theres a few suggestions, hope they help!

Come Play Yahtzee With Me!
http://games.atari.com
Http://www.myleague.com/yahtgames
Post InfoPosted 24-Jan-2007 21:28Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
GirlieGirl8519
----------
Fish Master
*Malawi Planter*
Kudos: 1029
Votes: 35
female usa
EditedEdited by GirlieGirl8519
I like Sneaky's suggestions.

I'd go with the Celebes Rainbows, the Keyholes, and the USD cats. I think that would be a really nice tank. And add more cories.

*Kristin*
Post InfoPosted 25-Jan-2007 00:30Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
exu
-----
Hobbyist
male
Sneaky,

Those are some great suggestions! I have a small SAE in my 20 gallon and I think thats is a great idea to move him/her over and put a rubber lip pleco in my 20 (or a school of ottos), but thats another tank!

Those Cichlids look really interesting I have never really gotten into them due to the aggression (in general). I have to keep my yo-yos they are just fun to watch and they are putting a dent in my several year old ramshorn infestation. I just hope they don;t eat my trumpet snails too. Have to pass on rainbows. I have had dwarf rainbow sin the past and had a lot of trouble keeping my school alive. They were all wiped out by some sickness(did not effect my other fish)

So here is what I am thinking and please tell me if I should adjust.

3 yoyos
8 peppered cories
2 SAEs
2 festivum

or

3 yoyos
8 peppered cories
2 SAEs
1 USD Cat
2 keyholes

now my question is should I get rid of the 2 3 spot gouramis? I would think I am getting close to overstock as it is.

if i did:

3 yoyos
8 peppered cories
2 SAEs
2 three spot gouramis

What could I add to this combo if I can't find a home for my gouramis. (My LFS are iffy)

Thanks for all the great feedback everyone!
Post InfoPosted 25-Jan-2007 00:46Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
GirlieGirl8519
----------
Fish Master
*Malawi Planter*
Kudos: 1029
Votes: 35
female usa
I like your last 2 lists, but I'd add some type of schooling fish to the mix. In the next to last list, you are bottom/middle heavy...mostly bottom though. So, I'd add a school of 10-12 fish.

If your 3-spot gouramis get along, then I'd go ahead and add them to the tank. You will still have room for the other fish on your list, plus a school of something.

*Kristin*
Post InfoPosted 25-Jan-2007 05:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
So_Very_Sneaky
---------------
Ultimate Fish Guru
female canada
I think any of those would work,
with our without the gouramis.

I myself would go with this:

8 Pepper Cory
3 Yoyo
2 Festivum
2 Keyholes
2 SAE
2 Gourami Blue Spot
plus a school of 6-8 of some small-medium size
schooler like Rummynose tetra or similar.
Thatd still be a light stocking with room to move.

Post InfoPosted 25-Jan-2007 05:36Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
exu
-----
Hobbyist
male
hahah I am used to being told " No thats way to many! "
So many choices. Probably change my mind again by tomorrow.
Post InfoPosted 25-Jan-2007 06:57Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
exu
-----
Hobbyist
male
Well the new tank is up and running. Do to space I had to tear down the old tank and move everything to the new tank all at once. Used all my old gravel/water/driftwood/plants etc so I think i'll avoid any problems. (worked last time I changed tanks)

so the current list:
2 three spot gouramis
2 SAE (You were right they buddied right up! Didn't know they schooled everyone seems to talk about having one of them.....
1 Moonlight Gourami (This fish I ended up with on accident and he is to big now for my 20 :-/ )
3 YoYos
6 peppered cories (I found another one)

I think I am going to go with a firemouth. Is there ang way to sex them young? I like the idea of a male as a centerpiece

After seeing the big tank up I am thinking about a school as was suggested. Have never kept tetras, etc. Could I get some species suggestions? Some color wouldn't hurt

thanks!
Post InfoPosted 28-Jan-2007 10:54Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
REDPHANTOM
----------
Enthusiast
Taking life on an angle
Kudos: 46
Votes: 4
male costarica
Tetras!

Take a look at Red Phantom tetras they can reach some nice coloring and are interestingly shaped fish with a lot of character. Rummynose tetras in proper water condition and numbers, light up a tank very nicely. Green fire tetras are also very nice. The blue tetra although larger has a nice shade of blue. Cardinals are by far the most colorful of tetras, their bright eyes and back coloring always provide a nice addition for a tank, plus they look real nice when schooling.

Rasboras are also a nice schooling fish.

Good luck with what you may decide

J.

Post InfoPosted 28-Jan-2007 18:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
So_Very_Sneaky
---------------
Ultimate Fish Guru
female canada
Hi there,
even on young firemouths, males will have a bright
red jaw area. Once older, these fish will flare like
bettas!
A good choice I think.

Yep, SAE are true schoolers, I had 3 of them, but lost one.

Buenos Aires tetra are a nice larger tetra with red and black markings, grow to about 3 inches, a school of 8 would be nice.

Pristella tetras are slightly smaller, about 2 to 2.25 inches, and have a cool yellow white and black racing stripe.

Rummynose are a great fast swimming schooler of about 2.5 inches in length, with white red and black markings.

Any of those would be nice in a group of 8 or so.

Post InfoPosted 29-Jan-2007 00:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
exu
-----
Hobbyist
male
I got myself a firemouth today ( I think ) only problem is i get home and the fish doesn't have the red throat, i got distracted when she was catching it. They did have them mixed in with other cichlids. Any chance I got something else? Comparing with images online it appears to look identical to a firemouth minus that red throat. Does this just mean I got a female? and if this is the case, and along the thinking that I just want one of these guys should I take her back and get myself a male.

I was also thinking that the fish just might be a little stressed.

Little frustrated here nothing ever goes correctly at my LFS. I rarely leave those places in a good mood!

Thanks for the tetra info!
Post InfoPosted 29-Jan-2007 05:57Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
So_Very_Sneaky
---------------
Ultimate Fish Guru
female canada
If no red throat then its probably a female.

Post InfoPosted 29-Jan-2007 10:13Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
exu
-----
Hobbyist
male
Definitely a female then. I sure wanted a male and of course my wonderful LFS is not very cooperative. If I got a male and had the pair is there any chance it will work out? I am willing to experiment but I don;t want to lose my yoyos or SAEs. I don't mind moving the gouramis however.
Post InfoPosted 29-Jan-2007 21:25Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
So_Very_Sneaky
---------------
Ultimate Fish Guru
female canada
A pair of breeding firemouths, like any cichlid,
are highly aggressive.
They could definitely cause harm to your corys,
I doubt they would be bothered with them though,
but they might.
Youd probably end up with all the fish in 1/3rd of the tank, with the pair defending the rest.
Just swap the female for a male.
Im forever having to tell LFS people which fish are male
and female and how to tell.

Post InfoPosted 29-Jan-2007 21:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
exu
-----
Hobbyist
male
They will not exchange the fish for me after today. There is no way for me to get home and back to store before they close today. it is what it is. Like I said I rarely leave in a good mood. oh well....
Post InfoPosted 29-Jan-2007 21:55Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
exu
-----
Hobbyist
male
So get this. Stopped by that store tonight and in the tank with the firemouths are jack dempseys. Being ignorant I was not able to tell them apart until I saw them side by side. I got a male firemouth and upon arrival at home was able to see that they had indeed sent me home with a Jack yesterday. Got to love that LFS.
Post InfoPosted 30-Jan-2007 08:26Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies