Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeUpgrading to a 75!
chipz
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 12
Votes: 0
female usa
I've been mostly out of freshwater for the last 2 years, and my parents have been caring for my two remaining freshwater tanks while I'm away at college (as well as my two saltwater tanks). Well, I'm home for the summer now, and my 3 clown loaches have officially outgrown their current tank so I am setting up a 75 for them (for a few more years at least, until it's time to upgrade again). The tank (bought used) needs to be cleaned up a bit and the stand needs some work to make it a nice piece of furniture.

At this point I'm looking for a few suggestions on stocking, so that I have an idea as to where I'm going once it finally is set up.

The fish that will be in the tank are:
-3 clown loaches (6,5,&4" respectively)
-1 Angel (he's at least 4" and I suspect he may have a taste for cardinal tetras)
-2 remaining cardinal tetras
-Possibly some amano shrimp that I never see and have had for 2 or 3 years

Fish I like:
-BIG schools (of fish that won't be eaten...though of course cardinals are my fav. schooling fish)
-Cichlids (keyholes, bolivian rams, apistos, kribs, etc...)

Should I consider upping my numbers or clown loaches and/or angels? I'm not sure how feasible it would be to get fish the same size...

Thoughts? Suggestions?

A few other questions as I'm setting up the tank:

Filtration: I have a couple of old fluvals in my basement that my dad really wants to use, but the clown loaches currently have two bio-wheel filters rated for 20 gal. tanks. Should I supplement the biowheels with the fluval?

Lighting: Also, in terms of light, I've got a 130 watt 48" powercompact light I can use. Will this be enough light for java moss and java fern? Or do I really need to up the lighting? I have one of the standard fluorescent 48" fixtures I could put on top, or I could put a 24" 130 watt light over half the tank and grow the plants just in one area.

Gravel: I've got the gravel from the old tank, some sort of reddish brown & black plant substrate, but it doesn't look to be enough to cover the bottom of the tank. I've got LOTS of old quartz gravel and the fake painted stuff they always sell at the lfs in the basement (the only previously nice stuff--black--is inexplicably mixed with quite a bit of pink gravel!). I'd rather not get more of the plant substrate as it took WEEKS for the silt to clear out of my tank the first time (after probably washing it 20 times before putting it into the tank). Should I mix the old stuff with some new gravel? Do two layers? Should I try black sand? (Just as a side note the back of the tank is painted black)

Thanks in advance for ANY help/suggestions!

-Lisa
Post InfoPosted 07-Jun-2007 15:06Profile PM Edit Report 
jasonpisani
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 7215
Votes: 1024
male malta
You can get other Tetras that wouldn't be eaten by the Angel, like Buenos Aires & Black Widow Tetras. You can also add another 2 Angels, but i wouldn't add more CL as they get too big, even if they are slow growers.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/corydoras/
Member of the Malta Aquarist Society - 1970.
http://www.maltaaquarist.com
Post InfoPosted 09-Jun-2007 13:48Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies