Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeWater Change while eggs in tank
SheKoi
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 553
Votes: 4
male uk
I've noticed today that my angels have laid eggs on the leaf of one of my plants, one of the pair is always around the eggs waving water past them.

i'm just wondering if i can do a water change as the tank is over due one?

cheers

Karl

www.blooming-brilliant.co.uk
Post InfoPosted 09-May-2007 19:47Profile Homepage MSN PM Edit Report 
djrichie
----------
Big Fish
Rough but Honest [img]htt
Kudos: 309
Votes: 45
male usa
EditedEdited by djrichie
I wouldn't change nothing until the eggs hatch. If you do be very careful not to disturb the eggs or upset the parents. This is just me talking.

Djrichie
"So Long, and Thanks For All The Fish" Douglas Adams
Post InfoPosted 09-May-2007 20:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Calilasseia

---------------
-----
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Panda Funster
Kudos: 2828
Votes: 731
male uk

You could implement a water change, but you would have to be doubly careful about mixing the new water with the old. Consequently, as stated above, you might be better off holding back until the eggs hatch. After that, I'd also exercise more than usual caution when implementing water changes while the fry are growing, until they're about 4 weeks old. Then you can return to a more normal regime.

In the case of my Pandas, water changes in any breeding aquarium tend to be left because the first 21 days of life is the critical period for Pandas, during which they're sensitive to ANY changes in water chemistry. After the 21 day critical period is up, however, they can usually stand a fairly large water change provided it's implemented with care. Once they reach about 6 weeks, normal service is resumed.

Panda Catfish fan and keeper/breeder since Christmas 2002
Post InfoPosted 09-May-2007 21:26Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
longhairedgit
---------------
----------
Fish Guru
Lord of the Beasts
Kudos: 1778
Votes: 29
male uk
EditedEdited by longhairedgit
Eggs are rubbish with thermic shock and even the tiniest exposure to chloramines. If you do a water change, it must be well conditioned, and dead on for temperature. I wouldnt risk it myself, possibly up to nitrate levels of 60ppm.
Post InfoPosted 09-May-2007 22:27Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
RickyM
-----
Enthusiast
Kudos: 101
Votes: 62
male canada
EditedEdited by RickyM
If the eggs are in a community tank, it doesn't matter. The frys will not survive anyway. I have a pair of angels which spawn regularly (every 10 days or so) in my 75G community tank. The parents do a very good job in taking care of the eggs. Many batches of the eggs were successfully hatched. But once the frys are free swimming, there is no way the parents can defend all of them. They end up becoming a nice snack for the other fishes

I did successfully raise two batch of frys artificially though. I do not do water change when the eggs are hatching (6 - 7 days depending on your tank temperature). Once the frys are free swimming, they do not mind water change, as long as the water is treated, and the temperature is matched. In fact, I was doing a daily 50% water change for the first two weeks after they are free swimming.
Post InfoPosted 10-May-2007 05:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
SheKoi
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 553
Votes: 4
male uk
as mentioned the angels are in a mixed tank, and the eggs have gone, i;m thinking it's one of my plecos

thanks for the replies

i'll remove the plecos to different tank now i know i've got a breeding pair, but they are still only young, they looked after the eggs well until lights out then the pleco must have had them.

www.blooming-brilliant.co.uk
Post InfoPosted 14-May-2007 21:50Profile Homepage MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
jasonpisani
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 7215
Votes: 1024
male malta
Hard lines SheKoi but i'm sure that they'll breed again pretty soon & to answer your question, i wouldn't do any water changes with eggs or non swimming fry in the tank.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/corydoras/
Member of the Malta Aquarist Society - 1970.
http://www.maltaaquarist.com
Post InfoPosted 19-May-2007 01:21Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies