L# Water levels sloping.
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeWater levels sloping.
katieb
-----
Fish Addict
Votes: 69
female usa
A few weeks ago I set up my new 20gal Long aquarium. So far everything has been going well, with one exception. When I was setting it up I noticed that the water level was uneven. The difference is about .5in.

I've been debating about whether I should be too worried about this because from what Ive read it seems that unlevel tanks have issues when they arent fully supported (as in there is a gap between the bottom rim and its support. My tank is sitting on a wooden fireplace mantle that is pretty thick. The fireplace itself is not real and so its solid almost the whole way through. It is made of brick and the tank does not hang over the edge.

I did a lot of searching online about this and it seems like there are alot of aquarists with a bit of unevenness and it seems to work out as long as the stand distributes the weight well. What do you guys think?

I'll do graffiti,
If you sing to me in French.
Post InfoPosted 16-Jun-2008 04:31Profile PM Edit Report 
Callatya

---------------
---------------
-----
The girl's got crabs!
Kudos: 5261
female australia au-newsouthwales
Mine all slope a bit, biggest gap is about 12mm on a 4' tank. In a 20, I wouldn't be too worried, but that is a fairly decent slope

Is the mantle one of the ones that sort of stands around the fireplace on legs or is it built in? No way to chock it up and level it out? You could get a piece of solid wood cut to fit the base of the tank and adjust it directly rather than adjusting the mantle, but to be honest I'd think that a 20 long could handle it.

For animals, the entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks. - Terry Pratchett

Post InfoPosted 16-Jun-2008 06:15Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
Being uneven should not make much difference at all but that amount in such a short distance means your floor or stand is way out too much for my liking. I would be thinking about leveling it up.

Have a look in [link=My Profile] http://www.fishprofiles.com/forums/member.aspx?id=1935[/link] for my tank info
Look here for my
Betta 11Gal Desktop & Placidity 5ft Community Tank Photos

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 16-Jun-2008 07:44Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
djrichie
----------
Big Fish
Rough but Honest [img]htt
Kudos: 309
Votes: 45
male usa
You could place a sheet of styro faom under it and that should take out and unlevelness..... I would be concern however about the smoke that a fireplace let into the house, the smoke will kill you fish by getting into the water

Djrichie
"So Long, and Thanks For All The Fish" Douglas Adams
Post InfoPosted 16-Jun-2008 17:58Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
katieb
-----
Fish Addict
Votes: 69
female usa
You could place a sheet of styro faom under it and that should take out and unlevelness..... I would be concern however about the smoke that a fireplace let into the house, the smoke will kill you fish by getting into the water

Like I said, its a faux fireplace.

The mantle is not on legs per se but built to sit on the top. My house is old and built on a hill and everything seems to be on an bit of an angle. So Im thinking the sloping is in response to the way my house is rather than the fireplace. I'll try to look to level it out a bit somehow.

I'll do graffiti,
If you sing to me in French.
Post InfoPosted 16-Jun-2008 22:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Hooben

-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 219
male usa us-texas
I used to stay up nights worried about this uneven tank issue. The truth is that unless it is horribly uneven, there should be no problem.
My cat jumps on my tank now and let me tell you, the glass and canopies on these things are very tough.

Post InfoPosted 22-Jun-2008 22:16Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies