L# General Freshwater
  L# What Will Oscars Eat?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeWhat Will Oscars Eat?
jagg
Small Fry
Kudos: 4
Votes: 0
I have a longfin oscar and the guy at the pet store said they were garbage disposals, and would even eat green peas, so I was just wondering what all they will eat, and what is good and not good for them?
Post InfoPosted 07-Dec-2008 01:02Profile PM Edit Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 435
Votes: 44
male
they will eat anything the best thing is pellets for them but i use to feed mine krill, pellets, and some times live goast shrimps to give them something to do like once a week. dont feed live fish unless u breed them on ur own and know the are healthy.
Post InfoPosted 07-Dec-2008 10:27Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
HOKESE
-----
Mega Fish
Kudos: 478
Votes: 271
male australia
well the guy was right,these fellas will just about eat anything,feederfish,i use to use my convicts babies as feeders,that way there good clean feeders,all diferent types of pellets,meal worms,earth worms,woodies,crickets,blood worms,most vegies too,peas,bits of small carrot,pretty much ANAYTHING within reason!the last lot of oscars i had,i had 4,2 tigers and 2 albinos,the 2 tigers topped out at just under 15 inches and the 2 albinos were a bit smaller!they were in a 208gallon tank,and they had never ending appitites,in the end i was also feeding them pinkies(babies mice)also i was giving them good os,the round softer dry dog food biscuts,and they smashed em up!they would just about soak me at dinner time in a mad rush to get the food first,anyway theres some foods they will love!but 1 thing i will say,U NEED EXCELLENT FILTRATION,for oscars,they are a very messy eater,often taking more than they need and blowing the un eaten food out there gills,and this is just one of the reasons why they NEED good filtration,also most of the foods ive mentioned above,also will require good filtration if feeding them to oscars!also they can be poo machines,dropping large poo that will have to be scooped out with a net,if a good filtration system inst in place,due to there large bio load,they will end up living in a toilet,then this will lead to ammiona spikes,witch leads to bad yukkie water,witch leads to stress and a weakened ammune system,then b4 you know it,your beloved oscar has contrated H.I.T.H (hole in the head disease),and unless you catch it FAST and know how to treat it PROPPERLY,you WILL watch the slow miserable death of your oscar,i think i red somewhere that one 8 inch oscar has the same bio load as 300 neon tetras!so in short,a top quality diet,lots of varity,a,d top quality filtration,and you oscar will be fine,and be a great wet pet!hope this helps
Post InfoPosted 07-Dec-2008 11:02Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
jagg
Small Fry
Kudos: 4
Votes: 0
I have firemouth's in with the oscar, is feeding them granola ok?
Post InfoPosted 07-Dec-2008 19:37Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
I wouldn't feed any grain-based products to fish, but most vegetables, greens, and a few fruits (bananas especially) are widely accepted. Meats cooked or raw but not seasoned and rinsed well, same with fish and shellfish are relished by most fish. You might try cooked egg also.

><>
Post InfoPosted 08-Dec-2008 00:54Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
riri1
----------
Fish Addict
Kudos: 435
Votes: 44
male
i would give them any meat thats not a type of fish. i would only feed my fish fruit or other fish or the pellets made for the fish.
Post InfoPosted 08-Dec-2008 07:20Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
Krash7172
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 47
Votes: 3
I would feed primarily high quality pellets. Also, look for low phospate content. I had three 6-8" fish in my 75. I had to do 30% WC's it atleast twice weekly. I replaced them with about 45 community fish. I can go two weeks without a problem now. I had a firemouth that killed an oscar so keep an eye on them. Those fish should be ok in temps in the mid to lower 70's F. Dropping the temp will decrease their metobilism and appetite. Do it slowly - a couple of deg per day.
Post InfoPosted 09-Dec-2008 02:14Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies