Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeWhat's This Brown Stuff?
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
Kudos: 217
Votes: 471
female usa us-michigan
I think you might be right about it coming from the "wonder rock". Have you tested your ph since you added the "WR"? I wonder if it is "live rock" or texas holey rock? You might want to do a test with white vinegar on it. See if it bubbles up or fizzes. If so, it's going to change the ph makeup of your tank.

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 05-Oct-2009 12:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Kellyjhw

Big Fish
My bubble...
Kudos: 217
Votes: 471
female usa us-michigan
EditedEdited 05-Oct-2009 12:44
Sorry somehow managed to post twice!

TTFN --->Ta-Ta-For-Now
Kelly ;o}
Post InfoPosted 05-Oct-2009 12:43Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Ya that looks a bit like texas holey rock to me.

Why is it "wonder" rock? did it give any claims at the store

To test the rock take it out of the tank, rinse it off and dry it, then make a scratch in it (you could use keys or an older kitchen knife) and pour some vinegar over the fresh scratch. IF it bubbles or fizzes that means it will raise the PH of the tank.

Little white fluffy stuff no clue here! Is there any pollen in the air coming in from outside, that's what it looks like from the photos

^_^

Post InfoPosted 05-Oct-2009 22:10Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Delenn
Hobbyist
Kudos: 63
Votes: 10
female usa
EditedEdited 06-Oct-2009 04:08
No idea why it's called "wonder rock." That's just what it said on the tag. Crap to me if it's going to raise the PH in the tank, and no, I haven't tested it lately since I've been more concerned with the whole Nitrite thing. If it does raise the PH in the tank, is this a permanent thing or will it come back down with time? F*** ME!!!!! Why can't I just have something go RIGHT for ONCE?!?!?!

Anyway, thanks for the help.

Also, I have no idea if pollen has come in from outside. It wouldn't surprise me as it's gotten really cold, really quick here and everything is starting to die outside in preparation for winter (so much for Fall. We didn't seem to get it this year).

I don't have any white vinegar (I don't think. I don't cook, so....).

So, OK. I just did a PH test. It's up to at least 7.6. HOWEVER, I do recall that this is what naturally is in my water when it comes out of the tap, and I did add a PH dropper thing of 7.0 into the tank and it lowered my PH to 7.4, so I don't know if because I haven't added any new PH drop stuff into the tank since the whole death fiasco and cycling started, or if it's because of this "wonder rock thing." Worse comes to worst, I can take this WR out and replace it with a piece of black slate from the new fish store. That's no big deal (yeah, I know, judging from my post just above this wording and the emoticons accompanying it, I'm acting like it's a huge deal, but hey, I needed to vent. I haven't had one thing go right yet with this tank).

But I'll worry about that AFTER my tank gets cycled. In the grand scheme of things, I think my bigger fish to fry (sorry) is getting my tank to finish cycling. I'm adding food every day, and I figured out based upon my early postings here that even though I've had the tank for about 8 weeks or more, I'm only on the beginning of week 4 for cycling, so I have at least two more weeks to go before I can have a reason to be discouraged that the nitrites haven't yet converted.

Anyway, if any of you figures out what you think this white stuff (now grey) is, please let me know!
Post InfoPosted 06-Oct-2009 03:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies