AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Aquaria
 L# General Freshwater
  L# What size tank should I have or is mine big enough?
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeWhat size tank should I have or is mine big enough?
zeketaz
Hobbyist
Kudos: 78
Votes: 1
I currently have a 45 gallon corner tank.
Occupants are:

2 glow light tetra
3 red phantom tetra
2 guppies
9 odessa barbs
2 Kribs
5 kuli loaches

I would like to up my schools of glow light tetras and red phantom tetras, but my tank as is right now I think is over stocked or is it? If it is would a 72 gallon bow front work? If it would could I also add more fish to the mix? If I can't add another species in with this group I could just keep current tank up and get new members for it
Post InfoPosted 28-Oct-2010 14:43Profile PM Edit Report 
Gomer
---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Small Fry with BBQ Sauce
Kudos: 1709
Votes: 106
male australia au-newsouthwales
What filtration do you currently have?

I wouldn't call that tank over stocked. If you have adequate filtration you could up the size of those tetra schools to 6 or 8.

In my 18 gallon tank I have 9 Cochu's Blue Tetras, 6 Rummynose Tetras and a Bolivian Ram with assorted shrimps and snails. Though this tank is densely planted with an eheim 2211 canister filter and I still need to dose a nitrate fertiliser for my plants.
Post InfoPosted 28-Oct-2010 22:52Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
zeketaz
Hobbyist
I have a Fluval 204all the fish seem happy and healthy so far. The guppies, glow light tetras, and 1 kuli I've had for a while. I added the 9 odessa barbs a little over a month ago, then added the Kribs and other 4 kulis yesterday. I do regular gravel vacs once sometimes twice a week depending on how my glow light tetras look.
Post InfoPosted 28-Oct-2010 23:54Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
keithgh

---------------
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 6918
Votes: 1542
male australia au-victoria
zeketaz

I have a 45lt and I have a lot more fish in my tank than that.
Because of the planting Gravel Vac is totally impossible. I do 2 15lt water changes a week and a HOB filter clean once a week.

If you have a pair of guppies you could easily go over the limit in the near future.

Keith

Near enough is not good enough, therefore good enough is not near enough, and only your best will do.
I VOTE DO YOU if not WHY NOT?
VOTE NOW VOTE NOW
Post InfoPosted 29-Oct-2010 02:40Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
hca
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 434
Votes: 211
female usa us-illinois
go ahead and slowly fill out your schools... one at a time, giving the tank a few weeks rest between additions so the biofilter can catch up.
Post InfoPosted 05-Nov-2010 02:02Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
zeketaz
Hobbyist
Awesome.. Thanks for the help. I'm waiting for my LFS to get more fish in stock and quarantined. I have a ton of LFS but only 1 that truly takes care of their fish so I have to wait on them which is well worth getting healthy fish. How many Glow lights should I go with? I have 2 right now, should I try and get 6 more? And the Red Phantom Tetras I have 3 of them should I get 3 more or up the school higher than that?
Post InfoPosted 05-Nov-2010 14:49Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Lindy

---------------
----------
Administrator
Show me the Shishies!
Kudos: 1350
Votes: 730
female australia au-victoria
I would aim for schools of 10 for the tetras. Fill one school out first, wait a couple of weeks and then do the other. Dont want to overload the biofilter and cause a disaster! Good luck

Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Post InfoPosted 05-Nov-2010 20:42Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
vern44bentley
Small Fry
Kudos: 0
Votes: 0
EditedEdited 20-Apr-2011 09:26
You can also have separate tanks for some of them instead of making it larger.
Post InfoPosted 20-Apr-2011 09:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies