Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeWhen Do I Start Feeding My Barbs Something Else Besides Flakes
NinjaSeal
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 11
Votes: 0
when do i start feeding my barbs something else besides flakes

im bout to get a few cherry barbs to go with my tiger barbs or should i get a few gold barbs

i also want a rtbs

i have a 15 g

the lady in the place said the rtbs's grow to be like 4 inches

so

1 inch of fish per gallon

so am i ok?

55 gallon 1 rtbsm, 2 khuli loaches,2 gold rams 1m1f,1 leapord highfin pleco,6 black phantoms
2 odessa barbs ,1 tire track eel,2 green severums
Post InfoPosted 11-Apr-2006 22:27Profile PM Edit Report 
Tanya81
-----
Fish Addict
Kudos: 419
Votes: 37
female usa
I would stil say no with the RTBS....as they need room for territory, and a 15 gallon would be considered "his" territory! I have had these fish, yes they are pretty and very interesting to watch, but can be agressive, and stress and chase your fish around. Do your tiger barbs, and either the cherry or gold barbs would work. As for feeding yoru fish, go ahead and start feeding them a multitude of foods right away!

72 gallon bowfront:Tanganyikan Lake set up
75 gallon: A. Baenschi trio,Cyanotilapia Afra Cobwe(4), copadichromis trewavase, protomelas sp. tangerine tiger(breeding pair)
Post InfoPosted 12-Apr-2006 03:42Profile AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Natalie
---------------
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Apolay Wayyioy
Kudos: 3730
Votes: 348
female usa us-california

I have seen several Red-Tailed Black Sharks that were over five inches in length, so they definitely do not belong in a 15 gallon tank ( and in my opinion, neither do Tiger Barbs). They are active, potentially aggressive fish that can dominate 55 gallon community tanks.

They are also skilled jumpers, like all of the "shark-like" Cyprinids, and it is likely that an RTBS would jump out of a 15 gallon tank pretty quickly because of lack of space.

I'm not your neighbor, you Bakersfield trash.
Post InfoPosted 12-Apr-2006 04:00Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Two Tanks
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 328
Votes: 13
female usa
Tiger barbs get up to three inches. With an inch per gallon rule, with five you are fully stocked. You really don't have room for any other fish, and tiger barbs do like to be in groups of at least five or more. Skip the RTBS.
Post InfoPosted 12-Apr-2006 04:45Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
cbcinnie
-----
Fingerling
Kudos: 49
Votes: 8
female usa
Cherry barbs are quite shy and shouldn't be kept with aggressive fish.
Post InfoPosted 12-Apr-2006 21:05Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
jasonpisani
---------------
*Ultimate Fish Guru*
Kudos: 7215
Votes: 1024
male malta
A big No to a RTBS in a 15 gal. tank & can you rell me how many Barbs you already have?.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/corydoras/
Member of the Malta Aquarist Society - 1970.
http://www.maltaaquarist.com
Post InfoPosted 12-Apr-2006 21:48Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
GirlieGirl8519
----------
Fish Master
*Malawi Planter*
Kudos: 1029
Votes: 35
female usa
No to the RTBS. They really need atleast a 30g...probably a 55g to not be so territorial.

Add 3 more tiger barbs...they like to school, so you really should have about 6.

Cherries are peaceful, but really need plants IMO. They can be shy and need hiding spaces. They are not something I would put with rowdy tiger barbs.

Inch per gallon rule is great for beginners, but can sometimes be broken. In your case it should be ok for you to add 3 more tiger barbs and then get a snail. Keep up with weekly water changes.

I'm not trying to be rude, but you've posted like 4 posts, mostly about the same thing. There are alot of good beginner fish books to read. Go to your LFS and pick out a good book to read up on. They tell you about the different types of fish and which ones need a school (which means about 5-6 or more of that type). Read up on the profiles on this site and it tells you how big each fish gets and if it is aggressive or territorial. That will keep you from asking the same questions multiple times.

Many of the people I have had contact with in LFS will sell you just about anything. They will sell you an oscar to put in a 10g (which doesn't belong there) or a common pleco, which can grow to 12 inches, for your 5g. You just have to research before you go to buy fish, so you know when they are giving good advice and when they are not.

*Kristin*
Post InfoPosted 13-Apr-2006 02:47Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies