FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Aquaria
 L# General Freshwater
  L# Why do my filters keep breaking?
   L# Pages: 1, 2
 Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeWhy do my filters keep breaking?
sunspotkat
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 33
Votes: 11
female usa
Do they have to be internal? HOB filters wouldn't siphon off the tank and you can get quality ones for not too much money.

I know that you can install a check valve to prevent air line from siphoning water from the tank. It would make sense to me that there would be something similar that you could use with a cannister filter.

- Meow -
Post InfoPosted 02-Jan-2007 17:03Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tiny_clanger
---------------
Fish Guru
Kudos: 571
Votes: 12
female uk
EditedEdited by tiny_clanger
The main tank is a Tropiquarium 88 with integral lid, so I don't think a HOB would fit? I looked into it when my cannister filtered last time, and I couldn't find a cheap solution to the syphoning problem. After all, the water has to be able to get down to the cannister in normal functioning. You could, I guess, hook it up to an electric switch which activated an anti-sphon valve if it detected a loss of electrical power, but that would be very expensive.

-------------------------------------------------
I like to think that whoever designed marine life was thinking of it as basically an entertainment medium. That would explain some of the things down there, some of the unearthly biological contraptions
Post InfoPosted 02-Jan-2007 21:04Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
EditedEdited by sham
What size tanks are we talking about here? I've got a few duetto internal filters that work great and have been running for awhile despite getting snails crunched all up inside them and getting knocked directly on the sand for a few hours before I find them. They aren't for big tanks though. I was using the smallest one on a 5g.

I've never had a cannister or heard of a cannister overflowing just due to a power outage and we get frequent power outages. It's a freak thing unless your dealing with very cheap cannisters and beating them up alot.
Post InfoPosted 02-Jan-2007 21:55Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
tiny_clanger
---------------
Fish Guru
female uk
My cannister went out one night - my flatmate at the time switched all the tank electrics out cos he was stoned. Pumped 10g through my floor into his room! Just syphoned the water and kept on going. That was a Fluval, so not a cheap brand. The risk of hoses coming loose is too great as well. Basically, that might have been a fluke, but I really really can't take the risk that it may happen again!

I'm talking about 1 13USg tank and 1 40usg tank.

The 40 used to have a Biolife - great filter until it broke!

I like to think that whoever designed marine life was thinking of it as basically an entertainment medium. That would explain some of the things down there, some of the unearthly biological contraptions
Post InfoPosted 02-Jan-2007 22:04Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
female usa
You have bad luck with fluvals. The duettos are only rated to 20g(95gph). I don't really know any other good internal filters but I do also have an aquaclear powerhead with quickfilter attachment. It can move more than enough water flow for any tank it's just the large quickfilter doesn't fit in shallow tanks and only does mechanical filtration. Suppose you could pack the center with some carbon if you really wanted without interrupting flow or killing the powerhead. I doubt you can kill those powerheads. Mine seems bombproof and keeps running no matter what.
Post InfoPosted 02-Jan-2007 22:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
caled
-----
Big Fish
Kudos: 44
Votes: 0
male uk
The Biolife broke? Damn. Those Tropiquarium 88s were nice tanks. I got a Marina tank a few years back with a Biolife filter in it. I stopped using it about 6 months ago, you're welcome to it if you can get to Stockport/Manchester area if you're interested. I fitted a replacement powerhead 204 not too long ago aswell, as theyre the same head units.
Email me if you're interested.
As far as syphoning goes, I have to admit I'm curious how it would work considering the cannister should be sealed anyway...? Or is it too late at night and I'm missing something elementary...
Post InfoPosted 03-Jan-2007 01:58Profile AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
tiny_clanger
---------------
Fish Guru
female uk
EditedEdited by tiny_clanger
I don't know =- my flatmate had done all kinds of damage in my room by the time I arrived and he didn't rememember 100% of what had happened !

I live in Brighton so oop norf is a bit of a hike. But if you're ever in London.......

Post InfoPosted 03-Jan-2007 02:28Profile MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
female usa
Only way is if the canister springs a leak in it's seals or a tube comes off. On a good canister tubes don't come loose that often. They are clamped down tight with various safety connections. With really cheap ones I have had it happen and drained 30g of water in the time it took me to dive under the tank and grab it. Reason #1 that I no longer have a cheap little magnum canister. Just cutting the power on a nondamaged canister should not cause any water to leak out. On a damaged canister it will eventually start leaking without any help but pressure from a tank trying to drain into it could probably hurry it up a bit.
Post InfoPosted 03-Jan-2007 08:20Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
So_Very_Sneaky
---------------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2272
Votes: 201
female canada
Just to mention, I have a fluval 204 that is
anything but reliable. It turns itself off, refuses
to come on, sometimes will run for months with
no problems, sometimes will only run for 2-3 days
before shutting off.
They are cheapy cheap filters that are not very good
quality.
Im going with Rena from here on out.
Eheim are good but very expensive, I hear the eheim
internal aquaball filter is very very good, albeit a bit
pricey. You may find them cheaper in Europe, than I can get
them over here in Canada, due to less freight and such.
Same with the Rena - which are made in France I believe.

Come Play Yahtzee With Me!
http://games.atari.com
Http://www.myleague.com/yahtgames
Post InfoPosted 03-Jan-2007 23:10Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
# Pages: 1, 2
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies