AquaRank.com

FishProfiles.com Message Forums

faq | etiquette | register | my account | search | mailbox
# FishProfiles.com Message Forums
L# Freshwater Aquaria
 L# General Freshwater
  L# anyone here keep glass catfish?
 Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribeanyone here keep glass catfish?
Rookie_Boy1
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 27
Votes: 0
EditedEdited 10-Feb-2012 12:24
Hey guys!

not been on here in a long time! anyway, I'm moving to a new house soon and once settled in, I plan on getting a new tank. I would really like to keep about 8 glass catfish.

What I would like so far are;
2/3 angelfish
a pair of german rams
12 neon tetras
10 rummynose tetras
8 black skirt tetras
8 glass catfish
8 panda catfish.

I don't predict any problems with any of those, but I'm not too sure about the angelfish. Will they co-exist with glass catfish happily? Or will there be issues?

Has anyone tried keeping the two species together? what was the outcome? I have not got any of the fish yet and the stocking list is not set in stone so ideas or suggestions are welcome!
Post InfoPosted 10-Feb-2012 11:52Profile PM Edit Report 
DaMossMan
----------
Fish Guru
Piranha Bait
Kudos: 2117
Votes: 359
male canada ca-ontario
Hey

Here's a link for them.

http://www.fao.com.au/species/catfish.php

don't use plastic plants for small catfish as they easily get stuck in it somehow. I lost a pictus cat this way along time ago.

New house congrats ! With the fish you're getting a 75g would be perfect. Plant tank ?

Get a good canister filter. Good filtration and water quality is especially important to german rams, and the angels are messy eaters - any cleaner fish or snails ?

The Amazon Nut...
Post InfoPosted 10-Feb-2012 14:55Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
superlion

----------
Mega Fish
Kudos: 673
Votes: 339
female usa
Which species of glass catfish are you getting? I have kept the Asian ones DaMossMan sent you a profile for before. I have not kept the African species. The Asian ones should be fine with the fish you have listed. They're plenty big not to be bothered by angelfish, and they are not fin-nippers.

><>
Post InfoPosted 10-Feb-2012 23:33Profile Homepage PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Hey rookie welcome back, congratulations on the new house!

I've never kept glasscats, good luck with them! My concern is the neons with the angelfish. I'm sure you'll get the neons first and let them get pretty big before adding as young of angels as you can.
If you're not too set on the neons, I might skip them since you do have the rummynose in there and have another small school of bottom feeders or add one bristlenose.

You didn't mention what sized tank? or are you buying new to go with the house? I'd look at the Eheim ecco range of canisters. I've had a few different ones and found that the eccos were really easy to set up and perform maintenance on. Plus it was really quiet. I bought mine from Big als online, they have pretty good prices and fast shipping but there are a bunch of online places you can check these days. (Gosh I feel old ).

^_^

Post InfoPosted 18-Feb-2012 22:49Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Rookie_Boy1
-----
Hobbyist
Kudos: 27
Votes: 0

thanks for the congratulations guys! Not sure on the tank size as I haven't bought it yet but would ideally be a 75g or larger.

I would be wanting to keep the asian ones as they're the ones most commonly stocked in the LFS around here. Went to one recently and they had some in a tank with angels and they ignored each other completely.

hm, I've tried planted tanks before and they didn't fare too well. I'd like to give it another go though.

hm, as for the neon tetras & angel fish. I LOVE neon tetras so not including them isn't an option really. I will be giving the neon tetras a few months to bulk up & get used to the tank before I introduce the angels as young as possible.

R_Boy1
Post InfoPosted 26-Feb-2012 23:53Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Babelfish

---------------
---------------
---------------
Administrator
Small Fry with Ketchup
Kudos: 8324
Votes: 1570
female australia us-maryland
Go with java fern first, it's a low light and extremely hardy plant. We picked up some at auction a year ago and now it's busting out of the tank!

I actually have to get rid of it we have so much. The standard lighting that tanks come with is enough for it, and almost no fish eats it. I have had some eat the finer lace varieties, but your run of the mill java fern is hardy and tough as anything. Attach it to some driftwood or ornaments with cotton thread or string and it can build up a good background the neons will dart in and out among the leaves (at least mine do!) the angels will have a little harder time making it in once you've got a lot of it giving some added protection to the neons.

^_^

Post InfoPosted 27-Feb-2012 22:00Profile Homepage AIM MSN PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies