L# General Freshwater
  L# ok as an novice/experienced fishkeeper who is looking up 300ltr tank
 Post Reply  New Topic
Subscribeok as an novice/experienced fishkeeper who is looking up 300ltr tank
Starfish
Fingerling
Kudos: 19
Votes: 0
and is looking at discus.. is there any personal experience of this...

I have had everything from minnows,goldfishes to angels and as a fishkeeper that learns as she goes.. i am eying up discus as my next project and the thing i love about the discus is thier colour and somewhat docile personality and the intelligence...

and if you are able to breed them with fussieness and quality they repay you.. what else is there to know..
Post InfoPosted 20-Jul-2012 10:26Profile PM Edit Report 
RED PHANTOM
Fingerling
Kudos: 21
Votes: 1
male costarica
EditedEdited 20-Jul-2012 11:22
Greetings Starfish,

Personally I have no experience with Discus myself, but do know that they may be considered the pinnacle of freshwater aquarium fish due to their beauty and hard maintenance, so my comments are solely based on theoretical data and would expect someone with practical knowledge to add on to the thread and set us straight..

Since these fish are of the schooling type it's recommended to keep in groups, although I have seen them kept in pairs, normal school suggests six individuals.

Tank specifications recommend long and tall in order to fit their slender and tall bodies with enough swimming space. So you'll probably be looking into a 400 to 600 liter tank.

These will also help keep up with their high demands on excellent water quality since they are extremely demanding on keeping impecable water parameters, that means scheduled water changes, maintaining proper ph and hardness levels, as well as adequate temperature.

They thrive on heavily planted setups with lots of different visual barriers that create separate territories but enough swimming space to frolick around, so you will need some serious lighting power of around 3 watts per gallon.

Filtration should be overshot since this will help maintain proper water parameters as they are highly delicate fish and affected by nitrate levels. Needless to say that the tank should be previously cycled before adding these fish proportionally to the bioload expected to create from your potential stocking.

Basically these fish are quite a challenge so read up on reputable information sources and look around the site, specifically the cichlid segment for previous posts that may hold important information from previous discus keepers, dos and don'ts, stocking suggestions, filtration and water parameters recommendations.

You have a lot of research and homework ahead of you to become well informed before venturing into the beautiful world of discus keeping.

Hope these helps, but as I mentioned this is merely basic theory so hopefully there will be an avid discus keeper that shows up and gives us top notch first hand information on this subject, until then, research, research, research.

All the best to you,

RP

Leaning towards the better side of life
Post InfoPosted 20-Jul-2012 11:21Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Starfish
Fingerling
Kudos: 19
Votes: 0
That is what i am doing the read ups on them and consideration also asking other discus fishkeepers whats what.. yes you can have all the info in the world but those are general personal experience means more than the information you read i have found as a fishkeeper..

Post InfoPosted 20-Jul-2012 11:50Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies