Post Reply  New Topic
SubscribeEasy Feeding?
fishkid99
----------
Enthusiast
Kudos: 218
Votes: 39
male usa
when i got away for vacation soon i need an easy way for the person watching my tank to feed my fish. So i was thinking about what this one person told me about putting thawed brine shrimp (or other frozen foods) into an ice cube tray and freezing them in the water. The brine shrimp worl be frozen in the cube(duh). Would this be a good idea for feeding my fish. By just droping the ice cube in my tank and as it thaws it dispenses food?

I will probably test the idea before i go on vacation just incase.

(i dont think this will work but its worth a try)

thanks

>>>----> <----<<<

pnh
Post InfoPosted 05-Jun-2006 02:20Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
What's wrong with using already frozen brineshrimp or other foods? I feed all my tanks mostly frozen foods. If 1 cube is too much you can slice them all to the appropriate size and then stick them back in the freezer. Also brineshrimp has little nutritional value so using other frozen foods particularly those that have a mix of ingredients is healthier for the fish.
Post InfoPosted 06-Jun-2006 00:04Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
fishkid99
----------
Enthusiast
male usa
yeah i agree i just use brine shrimp (not in an ice cube) but what im saying is i want to make it easy ,for the person who is going to watch my tank, to feed my fish that way i the tank sitter only has to drop an ice cube into the tank to feed my fish..... you see what im saying ?

>>>----> <----<<<

pnh
Post InfoPosted 06-Jun-2006 00:29Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
terranova
---------------
Fish Master
Kudos: 1889
Votes: 229
female usa
How long are you going away for and what kind of tank is it?

-Formerly known as the Ferretfish
Post InfoPosted 06-Jun-2006 22:08Profile Yahoo PM Edit Delete Report 
fishkid99
----------
Enthusiast
male usa
well im going away 3 times (but at different times) each lasting a week.

Its a reef tank if thats what ur asking i got an anemone and some coral in my tank which i would feed before i leave.

>>>----> <----<<<

pnh
Post InfoPosted 07-Jun-2006 06:01Profile Homepage AIM PM Edit Delete Report 
sham
----------
Ultimate Fish Guru
Kudos: 2782
Votes: 98
female usa
I wouldn't drop the cube in and leave it to melt. Always thaw it first. It's going to melt really fast in your tank anyway and be gone within 10seconds while releasing freezing cold water. Depending on your tank size there could also be a salinity issue with releasing that much water no matter whether you use fresh or salt. Plus all the fish will snatch the shrimp right as they break loose and your inverts aren't likely to get much.

I would just pick up a pack of brineshrimp cubes for $3-$4 decide how many you want them to feed and leave a cup for thawing. You just scoop up a bit of tank water, dump in cubes, set it on the lights, and it's thawed in less than a minute. Then you can dump in the tank. That seems like the easiest for both you and them to me. But I guess if you really want to make your own cubes there's no real problem with that. You'll probably end up with all the brineshrimp in a pile in the cube though and majority of it will be just water.
Post InfoPosted 10-Jun-2006 20:51Profile PM Edit Delete Report 
Post Reply  New Topic
Jump to: 

The views expressed on this page are the implied opinions of their respective authors.
Under no circumstances do the comments on this page represent the opinions of the staff of FishProfiles.com.

FishProfiles.com Forums, version 11.0
Mazeguy Smilies